Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Embed API. ReadOnly annotations

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Margarita5DDD_0-1629130563293.png

what does "unsupported" annotations mean? how to add them? I just need to highlight some text in pdf, can I do it somehow? how? 

TOPICS
PDF Embed API

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Unsupported Annotations" are the annotation types that are available in Adobe Acrobat as well as other PDF editors that have the annotation feature but are not supported for editing in Embed API. These include but are not limited to rectangles, ovals, arrows, and lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How i can add this type of annotations to my pdf? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to add new ones or just see the ones that are already there as read-only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to highlight something for users, and then they will be able to read it only and nothing else. So I have pdf and coordinates, I just want to highlight text to show it for users. and I can do it, but they still can change my highlights

so Q: what can i do to prevent their changes? I want to show this highlights in readOnly mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will you always be highlighting the same thing or will what you highlight depend on the user or some other variable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will always highlight the same thing for each user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, I'd recommend you "flatten" the PDF to burn the annotation down onto the page content so that it is no longer interactive at all.

Do you have Adobe Acrobat? If so, I can give yo instructions on how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem is that I get pdf and coordinates from different places (backend) and immediately after that I have to show annotations in pdf to user. I do not have time to go to an acrobat and I cannot prepare pdf in advance (because there are so many pdfs here)

now I add annotations using "addAnnotationsInPDF", all I want is to have some type of annotation (instead of "type: 'Annotation'") so that the user cannot poke on this annotation

what do you think? is there a way to do it? or maybe I don't know something about how acrobat works and I can do this thing simultaneously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using just Embed API, the best you can do is immediately desclect a selected annotation so that it can't be interacted with. I'll whip up a CodePen example for you. Gimme a day or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i already tried it and ... it doesn't look "perfect", it blinks....

so I understood you, I just thought, suddenly I missed something in the documentation (caught on "unsupported annotations")

Thanks anyway! I'm looking forward to updates to this great tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but yes, if you can do something for me, i mean even example in codePen, please do it 🙂 maybe I really skipped something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - it blinks. I've requested a "locked" property for annotations. I'm not sure if or when that would be coming though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi - Has anyone found a better solution for creating read-only annotations, or is this still the best way of doing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources