• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete all comments on a PDF at once

New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add comments on a PDF for team use and proofing.

When the PDF is final, I would like the option to delete all comments on all pages and save as a final version for client, without the client seeing any of the comments.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Not with one click but with just a few clicks: When you look at the list of comments, go to the last one and select it, then scroll up to the first one, hold down the shift key and select the first comment. This should select all comments. You can now delete them by right-clicking on one and selecting "Delete" from the menu. This should also work by selecting the first comment first, holding down the shift key and selecting the last comment, but I've had better luck with the process I described

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not with one click but with just a few clicks: When you look at the list of comments, go to the last one and select it, then scroll up to the first one, hold down the shift key and select the first comment. This should select all comments. You can now delete them by right-clicking on one and selecting "Delete" from the menu. This should also work by selecting the first comment first, holding down the shift key and selecting the last comment, but I've had better luck with the process I described first.

You can also use the "PDF Optimizer" by saving the document as an optimized PDF (only possible in Acrobat Pro). Then from the different options you can select, make sure that only "Discard User Data>Discard all comments, form and multimedia" is selected  (otherwise, more information may be removed from your document).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this helped! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to reduce this process by a click, select any of the comments in the Comments panel, use Select All (Control +A / Command +A), and then click delete, or even the Delete Key on your keyboard.

Easier than writing a script!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any reason this function might not work? My document is new and unlocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can also be done using a single click by creating a script that does it, assigning it to a toolbar button and then adding that button to the toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I create the script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a bit more complicated, especially the part where it adds a new menu item. It also requires installing the script file into a specific folder on the local machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use the script as a custom command and add it to the Quick Tools?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, that's possible too... The basic code is not that complicated:

this.syncAnnotScan();

var annots = this.getAnnots();

if (annots!=null) {

for (var i=annots.length-1; i>=0; i--) {

annots.destroy();

}

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like this solution - thank you. I'm just looking into making the button stay on the toolbar for all of my documents now.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work on the ipad app only desktop is there a trick to make it work on ipad app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add  the action button with the script in your PDF.

It works in my mobile app but I use Android.

You need to do this using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC in your desktop, but don't create an action, create an action button and run it directly from within the document in your mobile app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If interested, here is an interesting document that was shared in another thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/pdf-fillable-problem-with-mobile-devices/m-p/11055125?... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This code doesn't seem right, I think you'd need to still delete one by one:

this.syncAnnotScan();
var annots = this.getAnnots();
if (annots!=null) {
    for (var i=annots.length-1; i>=0; i--) {
        var annot = annots[i]
        annot.destroy();
    }

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you basing that on anything, or it's just a hunch? Because this code will delete all the comments in the file, possibly unless they are set as read-only or locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

++Adding to this discussion, I was also trying to help another user recently who  wasn't able to delete any of the comments with annotations in his PDF.

As I was trying all the suggestions offered in this thread with no success, I noticed that in the PDF that  he shared with me for review the comments weren't trated as comments fields per se.

The comments would work allowing a user to add more annotations to each comment field  and then save the file normally with the changes.

However, if the user of the form wanted to delete the comments the delete options would appear greyed out It would simply not allow to use any delete method on them. I suspect that the PDF file that he was using was probably a refried PDF that was saved as a postscript file or to another file format and then converted back to PDF.

So as a work around solution, you will be able, however, to get rid of all of these comments if you go to Edit, and select "Edit Text & Images".

When you do this, you will noticie that if you right-click on each  comment it will be treated as a note and not as a comment field per se. So If you right-click on the annotation it will popup a context menu with two options "Open Sticky Note" or "Delete Sticky Note".

If you ever run into this type of issue, choosing "Delete Sticky Note" resolves this particular problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been racking my brain and scouring support channels, trying to find a solution for this. Thank you for sharing this information. This helped a ton!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open the yellow comment tap on the right side.

2. Click the first comment.

3. Press Shift + End on your keyboard.

4. Press Delete on your keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines