Highlighted

How to 'Flatten' in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently purchased Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and I'm trying to figure out how to take a document that I added a stamp to and flatten it so our users cannot delete the stamp from it.  I have found the 'Flatten' option but it is greyed out.  The only option in the menu available is 'Import as Layer'.  How do I enable the 'Flatten' feature?  In previous versions, I used a java script to flatten when the option was not available.

You can also use an existing Preflight fix-up "Flatten annotations and form fields".

Steps:

1. Go to Print Production app.

2. Click on Preflight option from Right panel.

3. Search for the fixup "Flatten annotations and form fields".

4. Run the profile by pressing "Analyze and fix" button.

Regards,

Priyanka

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to 'Flatten' in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently purchased Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and I'm trying to figure out how to take a document that I added a stamp to and flatten it so our users cannot delete the stamp from it.  I have found the 'Flatten' option but it is greyed out.  The only option in the menu available is 'Import as Layer'.  How do I enable the 'Flatten' feature?  In previous versions, I used a java script to flatten when the option was not available.

You can also use an existing Preflight fix-up "Flatten annotations and form fields".

Steps:

Regards,

Priyanka

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 06, 2016 2
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use a script in that version as well? It's the easiest and fastest way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm adding it back in to give it a try and see what happens.  Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2016 0
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone expand on this script?  We are moving to DC in March and I know this is going to come up so want to be prepared.  Is there a way to do it in DC?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2016 0
Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script is this:

this.flattenPages();

It works in Acrobat DC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2016 0
Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67, the script won't work once I save as a reader extended PDF.

Dave W.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is correct. You must remove the reader extension before you can flatten the file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That makes the process moot for me. I need to be able to send a letter to a user that has a fillable field. They need to fill in the field with reader and flatten to send to their customer. I tried print to PDF which is listed everywhere as a way to flatten it and I get the error below. Is there any way for me to provide a reader extended PDF that the user and flatten before sending along to a customer?

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%

This PostScript file was created from an encrypted PDF file.

Redistilling encrypted PDF is not permitted.

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 0
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file can't be flattened in Reader at all, Extended Rights or no. Best you can do is set the fields as read-only.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 1
Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps:

Regards,

Priyanka

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2016 9
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best flattening tool out there is UVSAR's selective flattener. It's a Creative Commons Share-alike license, so free to use and install, and it's an open source JS file: UVSAR : Selective Flattener tool for Adobe Acrobat 8, 9 and X

Places a menu item in the Edit menu called "Flatten" - WAY WAY WAY faster than any of the built-in options.

Alternatively, Foxit Phantom PDF has a nice implementation of Flatten, but they haven't implemented the full Adobe standard yet, so it may not be the best option if you need to do things like use digital signatures and/or view 3D PDFs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2017 2
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent suggestion, parkanian. This is the fastest way and most natural flattener.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2018 1
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are the greatest human who has ever lived

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The UVSAR Adobe Add-in worked fantastic!  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll also find a free flatten tool, as well as many others here:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Free_Acrobat_Automation_Tools.cfm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly to flatten form fields. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2020 0