• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

page down / page up whole of visible text at a time

Contributor ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I have an issue with the way acrobat navigates through pages for reading. This has only started since installing windows 10....

Previously in win 7, I used the space bar to advance to the next page of visible text (shift + space to navigate back up), and it would navigate to exactly the next line of text after the last line of visible text on the previous page.

Now, it doesn;t always do this, sometimes it only advances half a page and I find myself loosing my place. 

I'm using acrobat to proof text while editing audio narration alonsgside in adobe audition, so obviously it's critical that my reading flow doesn't get interrupted.

Is there a setting for this?

Many thanks 🙂

<br>
~ David Sweeney-Bear ~
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Thanks Dave, you're right - I just discovered the root of the problem:

View > page display > Enable scrolling

this needs to be selected. 

i had it set to "single page view"

Quite simple in the end! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DavidSweeneyBear 

We are sorry for the trouble. As described after updating to Win 10 the PDF is advancing half the page by using the space bar.

We have tried to reproduce the issue on our end and its working fine. Would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Adobe Acrobat and make sure yoiu have the latest version 20.12.20041 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

If it still doesn't work please try to repair the installation of Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC. Go to Help > Repair Installation and see if that works for you.

You may also try to reset the preferences to default as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amal, it's Acrobat pro XI. 11.0.20

I will try the preferences reset, although I haven't changed any prefernces since fresh install.

Maybe it's also possible to copy my preferences file from the old win 7 installation?

<br>
~ David Sweeney-Bear ~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interestingly, I don't have a preferences folder in the location specified in the link you gave.

<br>
~ David Sweeney-Bear ~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that.

Adobe Acrobat Pro XI is an old and EOL application. It may or may not work properly. Adobe provides five years of product support, starting from the general availability date of Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat. In line with this policy, support for Adobe Acrobat 11.x and Adobe Reader 11.x ends on October 15, 2017.

Adobe strongly recommends that you upgrade to the latest versions of Adobe Acrobat DC and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. By upgrading installations to the latest versions, you benefit from the latest functional enhancements and improved security measures.

Please take a look at the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/end-of-support-acrobat-xi-reader-xi.html for more information.

Hope it will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal, installed Acrobat DC, still same problem, and nothing I can find in settings to control how the page up/down navigation works.

It just seems to make sense to me that if you're reading a page and you reach the bottom, you want the very next line to appear at the top of the page when you press page down, rather than have to hunt around the screen to find your place again!

<br>
~ David Sweeney-Bear ~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the space bar to advance forward a screenful at a time for many versions of Acrobat over time.  And for me, it still works as always.  Ensure that you have the hand tool selected, and that you have clicked once in the view panel (main viewing part of Acrobat) to ensure it's active, and give it a try again.  It never advances a page at a time, unless you can see the whole page on screen.  If you are zoomed in and viewing the top half of a page, it will bring the lower half into view.  The right & left arrows will advance page at a time.  Give it another try - it may just need a click on the page to activate that pane.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, you're right - I just discovered the root of the problem:

View > page display > Enable scrolling

this needs to be selected. 

i had it set to "single page view"

Quite simple in the end! 🙂

<br>
~ David Sweeney-Bear ~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent!  After a day of mouse clicking, sometimes pressing the space bar to advance is a nice change of pace.  I've even been known to enable the Auto-scroll feature for a hands-free article reading experience.  Acrobat's flexibility is really amazing.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines