Highlighted

Remove Acrobat from my ribbon in Word for Windows 10?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I remove Acrobat from my ribbon in Word for Windows 10?  I didn't ask for it to be installed, but Adobe apparently thinks it knows more about what I want then I do.  It is rather useless as I can generate a pdf without using it.  It takes up valuable real estate on my ribbon.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by John Waller | Adobe Community Professional

In Word, File > Options > Add-Ins,

At the bottom of the Word Options dialogue box, select Manage "COM Add-ins", click Go.

In the COM Add-ins screen which pops up, uncheck Acrobat to disable the Add-in. Click OK.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Remove Acrobat from my ribbon in Word for Windows 10?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I remove Acrobat from my ribbon in Word for Windows 10?  I didn't ask for it to be installed, but Adobe apparently thinks it knows more about what I want then I do.  It is rather useless as I can generate a pdf without using it.  It takes up valuable real estate on my ribbon.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by John Waller | Adobe Community Professional

At the bottom of the Word Options dialogue box, select Manage "COM Add-ins", click Go.

In the COM Add-ins screen which pops up, uncheck Acrobat to disable the Add-in. Click OK.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 22, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my problem. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear in mind that if you disable the add in you will no longer have Adobe PDF creation for Word documents in other ways.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RMB->Customize the Ribbon

If, however, you want to remove the plug-in, proceed as indicated here: 11 hours ago​!

You can create a PDF without using it, but the PDF created via the plug-in keeps some of the Word formatting features (hyperlinks, TOC links, bookmarks, ...) that get otherwise lost.

You can test if "Save as PDF" from Word will keep those features.

Discussion successfully moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Acrobat General Troubleshooting

Regards,
Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, Thx.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2019 0
kgbf LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having trouble with the latest version of Adobe Acrobat, and don't want it connected with Word at all. I followed the instructions from @John Waller, which removed the ribbon option, but my saved PDF still opened in Acrobat Pro, and I think Word still used Acrobat to convert to PDF. Does anyone know how I can go back to saving Word docs as Microsoft PDFs? (Like how people without Acrobat save to PDFs and can view it in IE (or preview on a Mac)? I really, really, want to avoid a formatting error I'm having with my version of Acrobat. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0