• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove Acrobat from my ribbon in Word for Windows 10?

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I remove Acrobat from my ribbon in Word for Windows 10?  I didn't ask for it to be installed, but Adobe apparently thinks it knows more about what I want then I do.  It is rather useless as I can generate a pdf without using it.  It takes up valuable real estate on my ribbon.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

In Word, File > Options > Add-Ins,

At the bottom of the Word Options dialogue box, select Manage "COM Add-ins", click Go.

In the COM Add-ins screen which pops up, uncheck Acrobat to disable the Add-in. Click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Word, File > Options > Add-Ins,

At the bottom of the Word Options dialogue box, select Manage "COM Add-ins", click Go.

In the COM Add-ins screen which pops up, uncheck Acrobat to disable the Add-in. Click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my problem. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work for me, I am told I have to run as Administer to disable an Add-in. How do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry to bump this again, but no matter what I do, this damned Add-In keeps reinstalling itself to my Word application. I work a lot with split screens, and when I shrink Word to half the screen size, I can't see any of the font information because it gets squeezed out by the Adobe add-in, which takes up all the space and doesn't condense. It's incredibly frustrating and is making me want to uninstall all Adobe products on my PC!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear in mind that if you disable the add in you will no longer have Adobe PDF creation for Word documents in other ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but 'yes', they can still use adobe from Word.  

---- Removing that automatic ribbon add does not kill off pdf creation...

Hopefully that was not one of the things you were thinking of...???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong. Word has "Save as PDF" by default. Means, as Microsoft feature, not from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RMB->Customize the Ribbon

If, however, you want to remove the plug-in, proceed as indicated here: 11 hours ago​!

You can create a PDF without using it, but the PDF created via the plug-in keeps some of the Word formatting features (hyperlinks, TOC links, bookmarks, ...) that get otherwise lost.

You can test if "Save as PDF" from Word will keep those features.

Discussion successfully moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Acrobat General Troubleshooting

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having trouble with the latest version of Adobe Acrobat, and don't want it connected with Word at all. I followed the instructions from @John Waller, which removed the ribbon option, but my saved PDF still opened in Acrobat Pro, and I think Word still used Acrobat to convert to PDF. Does anyone know how I can go back to saving Word docs as Microsoft PDFs? (Like how people without Acrobat save to PDFs and can view it in IE (or preview on a Mac)? I really, really, want to avoid a formatting error I'm having with my version of Acrobat. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Microsoft Print to pdf, works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it is perfect for that.

We (me...) just have to remember to ensure we select print to Adobe PDF and 'not' the regular printer that is always selected...

pain in the butt b/c once in a while, I forget to to switch the destination.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't. It's better to "Save as PDF".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep Dan28996837qegs - we have multiple options.
And as some pointedly want to insinuate, there is another option:
a) Save as PDF
primarily, it depends on WHO the user is AND HOW they wish to do this process:

b) Print to Adobe PDF (or whatever PDF software is installed on the users' PC/laptop/tablet - such as Nuance)
--- it is the USER's choice of which method they believe is more feasible for them and wish to use.

Both options work - I just did not include the second one in my response. After managing Nationwide Tech Support and doing Tier III International Tech Support - one learns to put certain content in responses - depending on the audience.
Plug in something works for most folks or plug in every option (which can be long sometimes).

So, again, it is up to the user to decide which route they find best for them....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same here.
I was kind of pissed off because I was sampling Adobe Sign, which I had believed WAS a single product. But instead, I got the WHOLE FRIGGIN' adobe pro suite WHICH I DID NOT WANT...!!!
So I uninstalled it post-haste and canceled that subscription. 
I had not asked or checked a box to have adobe be  part of my office suite.

THAT is the decision WE make, NOT adobe....   Glad you (Joe needs help) brought this up when you did - even if it was 3.5 years ago.  Still useful.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines