Wanting a script to Activate, then Play, an RMA on another page

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall seeing a JavaScript command intended to Activate an RMA, prior to controlling the RMA, along the lines of:

if ( !rm.activated ) rm.activated=true; // activate the Clip-annot

But I wish to control a media clip on other than the current page.  I realize this is unlikely in the new world order of native media players, so in the context of Flash is fine [yes, I realize it's unsupported].

The simplest-case example would be a 3-page document, with one video clip on page 2, and one on page 3. From page 1, the two clips are made to synchronously start Play, triggered by a "roll 'em" Link or Button (or similar) Action.  The viewer, scrolling through the document, encounters both these already in motion.

The clumsy workaround is to open the document, trigger the p. 1 "roll 'em" Action, then Open page 2 and page 3 (which Activates the clips, and starts them rolling), return to p. 1, whereupon a Re-set button rewinds the clips, and then all is ready to go.  All henceforth plays in sync, so long as the document is not closed (de-activating the RMAs).

In other words, preferred is to include a script in the "roll 'em" Action, to get all RMAs activated and in motion.

Suggestions are warmly welcomed.

– BR

TOPICS
Create PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to, JavaScript, Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meant to mention –– Yes, I am aware of the enumeration scheme re RM Number [in effect, n-1], and Page Number [in effect, n-1], in scripting the likes of this.

– BR

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won't like my answer but I'm going to throw it out there anyway... stop embedding video in PDF.

This is the third iteration of embedded multimedia support in Acrobat and Reader. None of them have been compatible with each other. Additionally, the mobile and browser-based Adobe viewers don't support multimedia at all and I'm not aware of any plan to do so in the near future.

I strongly recommend rethinking your solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ignore.

it's only a test if answering is possible because of:

Unable to see my Reply added to a Post by OP @Brian_Raila 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ignore.

This is only a test to see if behavior is dependent on the particular content of my intended [and failing] Reply.  Which includes no profanity, nor unkind, nor disrespectful allusions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The following reply was submitted immediately, on 3-23-21, but delayed by Forum troubleshooting.

======

Nice to hear from you, Joel!

Don’t worry about my feelings regarding your answer. It’s rather what I fully expected, but had hoped to dodge with the caveat about my awareness of software evolution. There’s no shortage of folks who echo your recommendation. Problem is, none have been able to identify an equivalent alternative. But all that’s a bit of an aside, summarized below. As for the topic of this post, I know you know your stuff, Joel. I’m all ears.

– – –

On the bigger picture, I’ve a considerable understanding of both the limits to, and the benefits of, my methodology. I wish not a nit-picky endorsement, nor condemnation, of any given approach. I’m simply seeking a solution for a known requirement.

I have no need for operation via mobile and/or browser-based Adobe viewers. And in the Web realm, I would have to sacrifice attachments, predictable formatting, magnification, and commenting for collaborative revision, never mind logic-managed operation of media. *

As for ‘rethinking my solution’, I’ve been rethinking expression by temporal media for more than 50 years.

Logic-managed temporal media became practical for me, with the videodisc formats of the 1970s. I began Web development in ’94, with colleagues from Vermeer’s FrontPage. I was delighted when Netscape supported images in the same window as HTML text, rather than in a separate region. I have tracked ColdFusion, InDesign, HTML5, in5, and so on. All of the above represent hundreds of iterations of embedded multimedia support. In the present day, nearly all the requirement seems met only by the 27-year development of each Flash, and the PDF.

– – – 

* I have worked with time-sharing, host-client systems [e.g. Web browsers], since 1973, and so am keenly aware of the benefits of, but also the intrinsic ephemeral transiency of, computer networks. **

In the current era of software expression, have a look at my Play Your Part - As Seen on TV. The only troubling deficiency is initialization of the file. It is necessary to first, stepping manually, traverse all the pages, to activate each RMA for any potential triggering. Once stepped-through that way, everything works as required.

Even Bob Levine finds the document impressive. As for an alternative solution, he pointed only to in5, for insuring ‘content that is pixel-perfect’ [not –– we need note –– dimensionally-perfect], and thus assuring spatial registration [but! –– devoid of temporal registration]. And Acrobat’s present, minimal support of native players, underscores said shortcoming.

I heartily advocate networks for such as addressing a public-health crisis, distribution and exchange of fixed, unchanging data [e.g. daily bank statement], and presentation of singular user-managed temporal expression [e.g. Netflix, Youtube, ABC Sports]. But for management of multiple temporal expressions [e.g. school students, as separate Zoom participants, together reciting The Pledge of Allegiance], networks are intrinsically flawed.

– – –

** To wit, here’s a well-intended illustration, of some amusement.

Two days ago, I was looking into PDF slide controls, having naught to do with media presentation, and came across one of Thom Parker’s posts.

There, Thom refers the reader to one of your posts, and provides the URL. 

Recognizing your name, I eagerly went to see what you had to say.

I was taken to a page titled “Adobe Blog: Page not found”, at this link.

– – –

As stated, I’m not quibbling endorsement, nor condemnation. I seek to patch a method which, given that patch, will work flawlessly in achieving the requirement. When I find one superior, on it I shall pounce. For now, scripted activation will suffice, if you’d be so kind as to offer a pointer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines