Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting PDF to Excel with separate cells

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to export a report PDF to excel. When I convert it, it puts all of the information from one row of the report into one cell. Is there a way to dictate it to go into multiple cells?

There is also a ridiculous amount of spacing between rows. How would I change this?

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

The way that pdf files get exported to Excel depends upon how the files are created. Some pdf files will have information contained in the file to make the conversion easier. Frequently, I find it easier to covert to text and use a good text editor to massage the data for ease of entry to a Excel. By text editor, I mean just that and not a Word Processor, they are two different animals.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way that pdf files get exported to Excel depends upon how the files are created. Some pdf files will have information contained in the file to make the conversion easier. Frequently, I find it easier to covert to text and use a good text editor to massage the data for ease of entry to a Excel. By text editor, I mean just that and not a Word Processor, they are two different animals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe HAS changed the way the export to Excel over the years.  We still have users using Acrobat Pro 2017 and that version works as intended.  Instead of exporting one giant column with all the rows combined into one row of text (like the current version)... it will export each row in a table as its own row. We are using the exact same source file. We have checked the preferences and all of the settings are the same for the export.

Adobe changed something and they need to change it back... what is the point of paying for this feature if it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry about the trouble.

As mentioned above, the Export PDF feature does not convert the Excel files correctly. We have tried exporting Excel files, and it works fine on our end. 

Please try exporting files on the Acrobat Online account and see if you receive the same results. Open the following link and sign in using your Adobe credentials. Then go to Convert > Export PDF.

Would you mind sharing more details about the issue to investigate this issue further?

Please share the sample PDF and the Excel file created from the PDF. It will help us to understand the issue better.

Please check if it is an issue with all the files.

Share the Acrobat And OS version you are using.

Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version that works correctly is 2017 Pro.  I have attached the PDF.  When the user with 2017 converts to Excel then each row in the table becomes a row in the spreadsheet. 

2022-04-01_13-12-45.png

 

When we use the newest version of Acrobat Pro DC, the entire column in the table becomes one row in the spreadsheet.

2022-04-01_13-12-28.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meenakshi, I am having the exact same problem as Paul. Has this issue been resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem that when I exported a PDF to Excel, multiple rows of data where combined into 1 row.  My solution is to export the PDF to Word. Then copy and paste the Word document to Excel. I hope this works as it did for me. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources