• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Form i-9 request e-signature

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to use the request-E signatures on a fillable I9  I am getting an error that states unsupported file choose another. I have downloaded the fillable version from irs.gov website and saved it as an acrobat adobe pdf. It will allow fields to be filled in but won't allow to e-signature. It will not let me prepare the form and add the text box either to the "Signature of Employee" line due to it being an I9 and security settings don't allow it to be edited.  Can anyone help or give me some help with this?

TOPICS
Adobe Sign forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Sorry, the I9 - send them the link where the file is located.  I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (uscis.gov)  They can download it, sign it and send it back to  you already filled out ans signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you happen to figure this out?  I'm having the same issue and was curious if you had a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did actually get it to work via Adobe Sign finally, but now that the new version is out it won't allow me to send via Adobe Sign and states it's a unsupported file. So back to square one! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I recommend you to try is to "Print" the I-9 as a pdf and save it to your desktop like that instead of just outright downloading it. What I find is that these government documents are locked and will not allow any edits to the document. However, when you download it by hitting print and then saving it as a pdf that is not attached to Adobe, you can upload it to the Adobe app to edit without restrictions. This is how I add signature fields to my documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, what I mean by saving it as a pdf in case anyone does not know, you can choose "Save as PDF" as your Printer, just click on the down arrow to open the menu and scroll until you locate it. It will open your File Explorer for you to save in any folder you wish. Then just go to your Adobe app and upload it into the "Prepare a Form" tool, this will automatically place any text fields and signature fields where they pertain. You can also customize them in case you do not like their placement. This whole process takes like five minutes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do know how to do exactly what you're saying above and do this daily with pdf's. My issue now is once you send to the new hire to complete once they fill out sign and return it will not let me fill out section 2 on the same page. Which is to be filled out by the employer. It will however let me sign it as the HR Representative/Employer or whatever. This used not be an issue with the old version of the I9 as the employer page to fill out was on page 2 so I would just have them fill out page 1 remove the page 2 fill it out accordingly and then insert it with their page one. Now that section 2 for employers is on page one it does not let you both fill out electronically. I am assuming this is because once a party signs a document they don't want anyone to be able to go in and edit and of the content for.. well for obvious reasons. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't waste a transaction for this form.  I would send them the link where the form is located and have them email it back to you.

Form W-9 (Rev. October 2018) (irs.gov)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The W9 form is secured and cannot be altered. That's why its giving you the error.  Just send the link to the employee for signature.  No need to use Sign for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean send the link? What link it's a form they need to fill out and sign. If I am missing something please educate me, I would really be appreciative. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I am referring to a USCIS Form I-9, not IRS W9 two different forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the I9 - send them the link where the file is located.  I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (uscis.gov)  They can download it, sign it and send it back to  you already filled out ans signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, so save it in an internet share site like Dropbox, Google Drive, or Microsoft Onedrive? Yes, I suppose that would work. I actually have figured out how to send it to them now via Request Signature and it will allow them to fill in all of the fields. The problem I am having now is that when they submit it and it comes back to me it will allow me to sign as the HR admin and date, but that is it, it will not allow me to fill in section 2 which as the employer we are required to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tammyhrs23,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please confirm if you are referring to the default template in Acrobat Sign.

If you are referring to a specific form, would you mind sharing the form? Share the screenshot of the error message.

We will check and update you with the correct information.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's attached! When I attempt to send it via Adobe Sign (request signature) it's giving me a message that the file is unsupported. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone figure this out? I am running into the same problem. Thank you for any insight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephanie, I just followed the suggestions of DreWorkforce above in this thread and the error message that the file is unsupported went away. I still have not figured out how to send it blank to a new hire and have them fill out and sign and resend it back to me so that I can fill out the Section 2 Employer portion and sign electronically. It seems once they fill out the Section 1 and sign it and it's sent back via adobe that it's signed you can't fill in section 2. I have just been printing them out after section 1 is filled out and signed by new hire and manually filling out sections 2 and signing/dating then rescanning and filing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I ended up figuring this out by trial and error and from what DreWorkforce suggested below but just a few different steps thereafter. I can still send the fillable I9 via Adobe Sign and have the employee fill out setion 1 and sign. Once they submit it, and comes back to you download it as it won't give you the option from here to print it as a pdf. After downloaded then you can print as a pdf and then save. Once this is done you can click tools/ "Fill & Sign" and it will let you fill it out and sign. Please let me know if anyone has questions I have also found to do this another way via email if you choose not to use Adobe sign to request signature. The trick really is to save as a pdf and it may mess up the original fillable fields so you may have to prepare form and make some of the fields text fields again. The phone number, and employer business name and address fields kept disappearing as fillable fields when I didn't prepare it and just saved it as a pdf. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines