• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDFs are password protected by default. WHere do I find the password and how to i disable this? Adobe sign

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDFs are password protected by default. WHere do I find the password and how to I disable this? Adobe sign

I'm trying to open a pdf that i exported from my adobe sign account and for some reason, it's password protected. I never set a password for it.

Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vincenthallow,

You have mentioned above, that you have exported the PDF from Adobe Sign.

Did you create that PDF and sent it to for signature? If yes, did you apply any password on the document at that time?

If you have received this document for signature, in that case, you will need to check this with the sender of the document.

It may be possible that the password was added by the sender.

Let us know if you need any help or have any questions.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the exactly similar problem that Vincenthallow got. I have Adobe DC Pro, I tried to email the PDF document for signature. It's locked and I have never setup the password but it prompts me for the password to remove security setting!!!

Help please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last time I looked, PDFs exported from Adobe Sign are password protected with an Owner password only. The User password is null, so you can view the document. The Owner password does restrict some operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vincenthallow mentioned that he never set any password, i have the same experienced why does it happen that creating  an auto password when you do pdf files? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Filled and signed an Adobe document and have never set a password myself. But the security status shows password protected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, did anyone find out how to disable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also facing same problem. The first document I edit through acrobat pro is password protected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact same thing just happened to me. I went to set protection on the document and it asked for a password to change the security settings. I didn't set one yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My signing a template document (form) with my scanned signature after filling it in seems to have locked the file with a password. But no idea what the password might be. Possibly it is set by the producer of the template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2024 Aug 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

either did I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION:  I had the same problem...

Open the .pdf which is unnecessarily password protected and "Print to PDF"... the new PDF you just printed will not be password protected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2024 Sep 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shelli38977269eggi,

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry about the delay in response.

As mentioned above, the signed document is password-protected. Could you please let us know if you are trying to make changes to the document or if it asks for a password to open it?

Did you create and send the document for signature, or was it sent by someone else? Does this behavior occur with all documents or this particular one?

Please share more information on what you are trying and where it asks for the password. That will help us understand the workflow and cause of the behavior. It would be helpful if you could share the screenshot or video of the steps you are trying on your end.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2024 Sep 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE!  CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2024 Sep 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone - I had the same issue but this appears to be default settings.  The password is randomized and put in place by default.  If you are an enterprise customer, you can request the passwords be set.  See article below:

Unlock a signed PDF file (adobe.com) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2024 Sep 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lisa_3354,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please let us know if you are asked for the password to open the signed PDF or when you try to make changes to the PDF.

It would be helpful if you could share your complete steps and what happens. 

If you are using the Acrobat Sign Enterprise service plan, refer to the information on the following help document: https://adobe.ly/3N5p6eH. It is only for the documents that show a message when trying to edit the signed document. You may open those signed PDFs without any password. 

Let us know if you are referring to something else. 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2024 Sep 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem here is that having a password on the PDF is triggering other platforms to prompt for that password.  The PDF opens fine without a password.  It's when using other services that sense the password is there, it will not accept the password.  We're having to work around this to strip out the protections by using "Microsoft Print to PDF" to create a new PDF without restrictions.  

From an Adobe side of things, I don't understand why this process is being done, when Docusign can sign the document with some protections, but there is no "Password" for certain services being added to the document.  

Let me know if I can provide further information here.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2024 Oct 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem but there is not option to print to pdf.  when I try to print it says password protected.  this occurred and I never even signed the document!  i simply closed it and tried to open it again and was unable to do so because it requires a password.  so essentially 4 hours of work I can no longer access!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2024 Oct 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

please let me know if there is a way to reset the password so I can access my document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines