• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

With geospatial enabled, how to place object at 0,0,0?

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that after an object is placed it's stuck in local position, in my case it's 8 stories above the ground. How do I initially place it at global 0,0,0? I don't want to slide it down to -12000 and guess if it's on the ground, and I'm not sure why it's being placed so high. CLearly in local space becuse when I set it manually to 0,0,0 it's still hovering 8 stories in the air

The only way I know how to add is to press the + button. Every other 3d program places objects at 0,0,0 by default and it appears Aero only has a default and it's really high in the air. Curious if dragging it down to -12000 is the only solution for now?

TOPICS
Usability Issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric, I have also encountered some weirdness like this in AERO - although I can't say that I have had something 12000 units in the air - LOL!  If you haven't tried this already, recommend you confirm/try resetting the objects desired origen point at 0,0,0 in the software used to build the model (i.e. Blender, Maya etc).  The other trick I have found, is that AERO/Geospatial Suite actually performs better/appears more accurate to the user in the real world, when I place the location anchor where I expect the user to stand and view the object as opposed to where the object will be. You may want to give those two things a try.  It eliminated some similar issues I was having.  Also, make sure you have checked the "snap to ground" box on the right panel under options once your geospatial map has come into aero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. Yeah I had this problem in June while trying to place objects in Manhattan near my office. Even stock objects from the Aero library appeared 8 stories high even at the 50-floor skyscraper I worked in. That was a different Mac and a different Aero version. Now it's the same problem in Brooklyn with 4-story buildings. Objects are definitely 0,0,0 in Blender.  I don't see anything titled "snap to ground" but I see "align selection" which just moves it to 0 -- and that's 8 stories in the air.

Is there a way to place an object at a cursor? Seems like the import with the + symbol just adds it at a random location. and calls it zero. Also could be a local space global space issue, but I can't find how to change this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other suggestions for how to place on the ground? Is it even possible to place a cursor at the ground? Is it possible to switch to global space? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My guess is the point on the map's 3D mesh at ground level is not 0,0,0. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines