• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I created a brush in Adobe capture but the brush format is not supported in Animate for some reason? How can I import these brushes?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from The Lounge to Adobe Capture​ forum.]

I created a brush in Adobe capture but the brush format is not supported in Animate for some reason? How can I import these brushes?

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 20.46.16.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you import your brush into desktop Photoshop or Illustrator?

I'm guessing you would need to create a vector shape or graphic to use in Animate CC.

Adobe Capture CC | Edit photos, shapes to vectors and graphics

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bdeb.

I didn't think Capture brushes could be used in Animate CC but... it looks like perhaps brushes saved for Illustrator CC will show up in the Libraries panel in Animate.

However, from your screenshot, it looks like you've saved your brush for Sketch; that brush will only open in Sketch. Try this:

Go into Capture CC and choose that brush that you've saved as a Sketch brush

Tap the edit icon (square with a pen); that will open a visual list of brushes

To use the brush in Illustrator (or, in this case, Animate), make sure you've chosen a "Illustrator" brush (tap the circle to check it) and Save. It will save to your library as a Illustrator brush and as soon as it syncs you should be able to open it in Animate.

Let me know how things are going.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried following those steps, but at least on the iPhone there is no square with a pen icon. There is an Edit button, but choosing that just lets me edit the brush, I don't get to rechoose what brush type it is. But making a new brush you get to set the type, and yes, Sketch brushes fail in Animate, and Illustrator brushes work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, found the right steps to change an existing brush. You choose the brush and while on its Preview tab you touch the Edit button in the upper right. In the preview edit section are several sub-tabs, one of which is Style. That's where you go to change a brush from being Sketch to being Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin.

Sorry. Was trying to post as quickly as possible and without my iPad in front of me and forgot that the Edit icon had changed and I forgot about the tabs across the top. Thanks for catching those.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your help!

That does allow the brushes to work in Animate, but when you change the brushes into the Illustrator style, they're only in black and white rather than colour... Any idea if there's a way to maintain the colour?

Thanks again!

IMG_7632.PNGIMG_7631.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Animate regular Brush Tool strokes use the Fill color, and can't be a custom brush. Paint Brush Tool strokes use the Stroke color, and can be custom brushes. I don't think there is a way to have a multicolored Paint Brush Tool stroke, other than setting a fancy color gradient for the Stroke color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For fun I drew this using your sun as the brush, and a gradient going from the darker to lighter color.

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 11.58.13 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I see... So, to throw the problem into context I was trying to paint an ocean in Animate but all the brushes are quite harsh blocks of colour and I wanted a water colour effect (I know you can buy different brushes but would rather not). Would you say it's easier just to draw the backgrounds in illustrator/photoshop and then import them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think that would take a bitmap brush, like you can get from the Sketch type of brush. It would be worth trying in Photoshop and bringing in a PNG to Animate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines