• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Legal security when using reference images (structure and style): What is allowed?

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Firefly-community,

I have a question when it comes to using reference images in Adobe Firefly. Am I legally allowed to upload images purchased by me from Adobe Stock into Firefly and use them as reference images for the structure or style? Am I allowed to generate new images inspired by these reference images? And may I then use the images generated in this way commercially, e.g. as book covers, music album covers etc.?

I am asking this because I want to be absolutely sure that I am not infringing any copyrights.

P.S.: Since I know, it is NOT allowed to google pictures and use them as reference images in Firefly. But my question aims on purchased images from Adobe Stock.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Design , Imaging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should consult legal counsel if you need legal advice to make a business decision. The licensing terms for Adobe Stock are documented in: Adobe Stock license information and here: Adobe Stock Additional Terms.

I cannot advise you, but if I was deciding the question for myself, as long as the resulting Firefly image was not used in a way that violated the Adobe Stock licence agreement, I would not be concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer! I think the same but I hoped for an Adobe official to come by and give an answer. If they offer such a product AND say that it is for commercial use (I read the licensing terms before I posted this) THEN I expect them to clarify on such questions. So my questions is still on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're unlikely to get a response from anyone at Adobe, other than to steer you towards the License Agreement. The License does says that each of the Licenses (Standard, Enhanced and Extended) allows you to modify the asset in order to incorporate it into your designs.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images licensed from Adobe Stock are not permitted to use it for any AI purpose: "You must not:.. use the Stock Assets.. for any.. machine learning or artifical intelligence purposes.https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/cc/en/legal/servicetou/Stock-Additional-Terms-en_US-2020061...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be good to have someone from Adobe weigh in, but I suspect this is not intended to apply to Firefly. More for other AI services or building/training your own models.

droopy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a more recent version of the license agreement (Dec 2022) but the wording regarding AI is still there though reworded a bit. I would not assume that it doesn't apply to Firefly since that is not specifically stated.

https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/cc/en/legal/servicetou/Stock-Additional-Terms_en_US_2022120...

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines