Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A specific question about font licensing terms related to client work

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have read the font licensing terms many times. I wanted to make sure that I have understood them correctly so I would appreciate if someone could comment to my questions:

A Client have a food product they want to sell in stores and they order a package design from me for the product's packaging (they don't have any CC subscription). I create the design and use some of the fonts from adobe fonts library with my own CC subscription. I create outlines for texts and then export PDF file to be sent to the printing provider so that they can print my design on the package. Does my client need a separate license in this case? YES / NO

And if I create any marketing materials (PDF, JPEG, PNG) to my clients to use, does my own cc subscription cover that? YES / NO

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Thank you for reaching out to us. To answer your queries below:

I create outlines for texts and then export PDF files to be sent to the printing provider so that they can print my design on the package. Does my client need a separate license in this case? NO

And if I create any marketing materials (PDF, JPEG, PNG) for my clients to use, does my cc subscription cover that?  NO

Also please refer below:

Does my client need their own font license to use the designs?

No, not if you are creating graphics or documents that have rasterized or properly embedded font data, such as a PDF, JPEG, or PNG.

However, if your client needs to have the font installed to edit your design, they will need their own license, either through a Creative Cloud subscription or as a desktop license purchase.

Can I use the fonts for commercial projects or client work?

Yes. You can create digital designs or print work for your own use or for client projects. This includes generating a PDF, EPS file, or bitmapped file such as a JPEG or PNG.

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to reach out to us.

Regards,

Neelam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your response!

One question to your answer:

1. And if I create any marketing materials (PDF, JPEG, PNG) for my clients to use, does my cc subscription cover that?  NO => if this is NO I understand that with my subscription I can't deliver marketing materials to my client? Now I'm confused because of what's said in next lines. 

Also please refer below:

Does my client need their own font license to use the designs?

No, not if you are creating graphics or documents that have rasterized or properly embedded font data, such as a PDF, JPEG, or PNG.

So if my clients doesn't have their own cc subscription (only I have) and I deliver materials and designs as PDF, JPEG or PNG, my clients can use the materials and designs for needed purposes? For example If I create a brochure or ad to get printed/published?

I don't have so much knowledge yet with all these licensing terms and how they "work" in different situations so these practical questions help me understand better. So thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should NOT outline fonts, except in very special cases (such as making a logo). There are many myths and bad advice to outline fonts is everywhere. It just makes poor quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You shouldn't frame text styles, besides in extremely unique cases (website). There are numerous fantasies and awful guidance to frame text styles is all over the place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines