• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lato font does not space correctly with "fi" "ti" "ff" and "tt"

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I loaded the Lato font 2 years ago and did not have any spaces issues between lower case t and i, f and i, f and f, t and t. When I got the an update of Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator beginning of this year it seems the font does not have enough space between the above mention letters. For example:

• first (the f blends into the i and the dot over the i is missing)
  • solutions (the t blends into the i)
  • capabilities (t blends into the i)
  • fluffing (this one really looks bad - the f's run together and there is no dot over the i)
  • batting (both t's and i merge, but the dot is visible over the i)

Microsoft does not have this issue when using Lato. Also, Google only has the issue with the "f" and "i". I've attached examples.

Note: After talking to Adobe support, they had me uninstall and reinstall Lato. This did not work.

Currently, (as a work-around) I am adding a space between the these letters and taking that space down to 1px to get it to look right. Kerning adjustment did not work. 

Does anyone have any other ideas to get this font to work as it should? 😊 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

@jeank48373130 wrote:

It actually is working as it should! What you are seeing is ligatures, which is proper typography. See this article from Nigel French:

https://creativecloud.adobe.com/cc/discover/article/taking-typography-to-the-next-level

All the same, ligatures can be turned off in the Character panel (Window menu). It's a character setting, so you need to select your text first. There is a button or you can

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jeank48373130 wrote:

It actually is working as it should! What you are seeing is ligatures, which is proper typography. See this article from Nigel French:

https://creativecloud.adobe.com/cc/discover/article/taking-typography-to-the-next-level

All the same, ligatures can be turned off in the Character panel (Window menu). It's a character setting, so you need to select your text first. There is a button or you can use the panel menu.

I know some people hate it, but look in some magazines and books and you find out that you've been seeing them all your life and it's never bothered you until now.

Ligatures are the same in all three applications, by the way.

E82DECE6-C029-476C-A102-0CD6708B1AE1.jpeg

I'm surprised Adobe support didn't know this.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

Thank you! This was exactly what I needed. Yes, I was totally surprised that Adobe support didn't suggest this too. I find it mind boggling that each Adobe product has these ligatures in different places and that each time there is an update, I'm always resetting my preferences.

Again, thank you Jane for the quick and very helpful response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’re welcome, @jeank48373130. In spite of ligatures being proper typography, many people hate them — or their bosses hate them — and they want them turned off! 🙂 You are not alone!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines