Exit

Licensing of ITC Franklin Gothic LT Non-Pro Fonts

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone 🙂

I have some questions about font licensing:

We have an open type version of the font "ITC Franklin Gothic LT" which we would like to use in our print publications.

ITC Franklin Gothic LT Pro

Available at Adobe Fonts: https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/itc-franklin-gothic

ITC Franklin Gothic LT (without Pro):
We have these as OpenType font files.

1. Question: Can we use the non-Pro (OpenType) version of the Fonts, or do we have to use the Pro version that is available at Adobe Fonts?

2. Question: We currently have a Creative Cloud package, what happens if at some point we no longer have a Creative Cloud package? Can we continue to use the fonts that we have already created PDFs/eBooks?

Thank you in advance for the information!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SW-Man-2,

Thank you for reaching out. Let me try to answer your question-

1. Question: Can we use the non-Pro (OpenType) version of the Fonts, or do we have to use the Pro version that is available at Adobe Fonts?- 
Ans-Both fonts are OpenType. If you have a valid license for the files it’s your decision which version to use

2. Question: We currently have a Creative Cloud package, what happens if at some point we no longer have a Creative Cloud package? Can we continue to use the fonts that we have already created PDFs/eBooks?- 
Ans- 

Yes and no. Any file which embeds the font data, such as PDF or image formats, and any text that has been rasterized or outlined, will continue to display correctly. These types of files may be reproduced and distributed independent of your subscription status.

Documents that reference fonts on your computer, such as an InDesign or Word document, will show a missing fonts warning and use a default font from the program in place of the one from Adobe Fonts. You would need to purchase a new font license and install the fonts on your computer to continue to display and edit these files.

Please also refer to these two sections of the licensing article and this one.

I hope it answers your question. Let us know if you need further assistance.

We are here to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @HARSHIKA_VERMA !

Many thanks for your response.

To 1)
We bought a Font Folio 11 many years ago, but unfortunately I can't remember where I saved the license.
I have used the "ITC Franklin Gothic LT (without Pro)" font in the past and would like to continue using it instead of the new "ITC Franklin Gothic LT Pro" from Adobe Fonts.
But if you mean im not sure about the licensing then i would probably have to use the new one (ITC Franklin Gothic LT Pro) right? I have the license via the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.

To 2)
Thanks for the info, I found this page afterwards.
I could continue to use the rasterized photos wherever I published them.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have a third question about ITC Franklin Gothic Pro:

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/itc-franklin-gothic

Why is there within the font family, some fonts called "ITC Franklin Gothic" (such as ITC Franklin Gothic LT Pro Book Extra Compressed) - and other fonts called "ITCFranklinGothic" (without spaces, such as: ITCFranklinGothic LT Pro CnBkIt)?
This is also why they are displayed as different font families in Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Adobe,

Would like to request if you can acquire license for the font 华康标楷W5长汉音上2L or DFPKai as it is a very good font for chinese like me but when converting from Word to Adobe, the file would error or blank out the character. It is hard to come by fonts like DFPKai and ToneOZ which have the capability to change the tone as needed due to chinese phonetical grammar. Appreciate if this can be read and converted instead of a blank space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. If you have these fonts as font files, this is outside the Adobe Fonts system (which never gives you font files). You can use them if they are licensed for this use. If you don't know where it came from you have a problem as it may not be on new computers, and since you don't know the license, you probably aren't allowed to copy/share the fonts to new systems.

2. If you stop subscribing to Creative Cloud, you wil lose the use of fonts activated with Adobe fonts. This does not affect local fonts installed with font files. It does not affect PDFs already made (with embedded fonts) except that the text can't be edited (which is never recommended). You also lose the use of the fonts if Adobe remove them from the set of fonts in Adobe Fonts (regularly, fonts are removed).

My recommendation is to make sure your key corporate fonts have a suitable license and management outside Adobe Fonts, which accommodates future needs and changes. Ideally you'd want the right to add more computers if the foundry goes out of business. You may also want to license them in web font form for your web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines