Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

List of all Adobe Fonts typefaces?

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've had a question from elsewhere in my company asking what typefaces are available on Adobe Fonts, and other than slowly browsing the whole website, I have no idea how to answer that!

So my question is: is there a plain text list of every single typeface currently available on Adobe Fonts?

I'm aware that the list probably changes regularly, and I'd rather it didn't include every font/weight within a typeface (if at all possible), but anything will do.

Many thanks,

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is a way to answer it without, as you put it, browsing through the whole website. There are 1,993 font families currently available from Adobe Fonts, many of them provided through partnerships with outside font foundries. As far as I know, there is not comprehensive list, at least not one available on the Adobe Fonts website. @Dov Isaacs might know differently, though.

You could concentrate on just the fonts provided by Adobe, since those are the only ones guaranteed to be available through a subscription to Adobe Fonts or to Adobe products that include access to Adobe Fonts. That reduces the number of pages to 9 from 167.

[Outside font foundaries can, and have, cancelled their partnerships with Adobe and withdrawn their fonts from Adobe Fonts, making the font unavailable to people who have been using it without their buying a license from the owning foundary.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regrettably, I know of no such publicly available simple list.

Quite frankly, what I would really love would be a downloadable PDF file not only providing a simple list as described, but also for each font family and font style therein, specimens of the font, provision of the font's entire glyph complement (including ligatures, alternate characters, etc. and the Unicode values), OpenType features, etc.

The ability to find what you want and/or explore using the current web pages is an exercise in futility as far as I am personally concerned. But, alas, I have no control over that!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… and that such a document be updated on a very regular basis.

It should also have cross-references to languages / character sets, available styles, font classification, etc.

It should be somewhat simple to automate creation of such a PDF file in conjuntion with InDesign.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies guys. Shame nothing available exists, such a PDF would be incredibly useful (though complex and huge, surely)! I'm fairly sure they're looking to ditch an old font manager, but it's hard to make that call without having some at-a-glance idea of the fonts you are getting from AF (though I know they change).

More detailed search options built into the website would always be welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't suppose there has been any update on this, as I would also like to have a list of all the font families available through Adobe Fonts.

Cheers

Leonie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are almost 2500 font families. As far as I know, there is no list of all of them, although this page does at least list all the foundries with fonts carried on Adobe Fonts. https://fonts.adobe.com/foundries

On the plus side, the Adobe Fonts website has added a lot of filters similar to the ones found on Google Fonts. You can narrow by language, classification, various characteristics such as height, width, weight, and a bunch of category tags. Not what you want, I know, but it still might be useful to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Echoing the need for a list. Our team maintains literally thousands of documents (packaging and marketing pieces) for hundreds of customers, and many of them still use Type1 fonts from libraries we purchased decades ago. Some customers can be very picky and demanding about approving any changes at all, so font substitution is going to be a nightmare.

Multiple team members making substitutions = inconsistency, UNLESS we can create a cross reference of our chosen Type 1 > Open Type substitutions, including what tweaks each person should make to accommodate ensuing changes to line wrap, leading, styles, etc. We can't have one person changing tracking to accommodate a new font, while another sizes the font down. Or chooses a different font...

Surfing online through our subscription fonts to activate and test--and make further purchases depending on whether the choices within our subscription are acceptable--is going to be a full-time job for these thousands of documents.

Adobe is creating a mess without adequate tools for users. We aren't all just concerned with picking pretty fonts from cutesy little packages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can suggest is that you put in a request at the Adobe Fonts Feature Requests page. If you can get other people to find your request and upvote it, it is more likely that Adobe will allocate resources. Check to see if a request already exists and vote for it if it does.

https://adobefonts.uservoice.com/forums/940222-adobe-fonts-feature-requests-and-feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did post in Adobe Voice. Title is "List of Adobe subscription fonts for Type 1 substitution team project". Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Peac*ck, just wanted to let you know about this posting in Adobe Voice:

https://adobefonts.uservoice.com/forums/940222-adobe-fonts-feature-requests-and-feedback/suggestions... 

I also just tried to get from Adobe a list of fonts included if you purchased Font Folio. But I couldn't get a list, despite talking to and chatting with multiple Adobe "reps". They passed me around for over an hour but nobody took responsibility for Font Folio. Apparently they want you to spend thousand$ without really knowing what you're getting. My request for that in Adobe Voice is here:

https://adobefonts.uservoice.com/forums/940222-adobe-fonts-feature-requests-and-feedback/suggestions... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I've added my vote to both.

I was wondering if the title was a bit long with the 'type 1' stuff mentioned, but then I realised there's only 4 suggestions on the page anyway, so not much chance of it getting lost! A miracle, when stuff on this forum gets buried in 5 mins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get a list of Font Folio fonts. (No luck on the subscription list yet.) The Font Folio PDF is attached to my posting in Adobe Voice (link above).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work! Maybe something will exist for Adobe Fonts eventually too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

if the scripting DOM of Adobe InDesign would allow for activating Adobe Fonts one could build lists automatically.

But unfortunately this is not the case.

If a font is already activated from Adobe Fonts this would be not that issue*. Still for about 20,000 font styles in Adobe Fonts there should be a different way; a feature on the Adobe Fonts site that allows you to export and save a list of available glyphs with a naming scheme and a Unicode table and also other information to a PDF file.

* Without going into detail here, it still can be an issue to utilize such a document other than to look up unicode and glyph names. For example it would be no good idea to copy/paste glyphs from that list. That has specific technical reasons that come along with the Tagged Text feature of InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like that would be great, but really the plainest of plain text lists would be enough. It would make arguing for using Adobe Fonts vs Font Suitcase (or similar) much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

activating fonts vs installing font files is quiet a different discussion, I think.

Search the forums for inspiration.

Back to your initial question about a glyph table of a given font and how one could make an informed decision before activating or downloading a font style.

Last year we had this wonderful discussion where I posted about the difficulties to detect a range of glyphs for a given font style before one downloads it from Google Fonts:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/adobe-fonts-question/m-p/12213598#M439123

Also see into Bevi's reply in the same discussion:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/adobe-fonts-question/m-p/12213709#M439132

Also look into this article:

Make a Font “Contact Sheet” in InDesign
by David Blatner, May 28, 2009

https://creativepro.com/make-a-font-contact-sheet-in-indesign/

IMPORTANT NOTE FROM MY SIDE:
Be careful what you do with that Contact Sheet. It's save to get the Glyph IDs by selecting the individual results to look up a Glyph ID in the Glyphs panel. It's also useful to get a visual overview of all available glyphs in a particular font!

But do not copy over glyphs from that Contact Sheet to your regular documents that you like to publish.

Well, try it. Then change the font to a different one, but the glyphs will not be the same, because Glyph IDs do not follow the Unicode scheme of characters.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, thanks for the reply. Looks like some interesting stuff, but my initial question was just about a list of typefaces available through Adobe Fonts, rather than glyph tables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Assuming that the font is installed, you can use BabelMap to see all the glyphs in it (be sure to change Composite Font to Single Font and select the font from the drop-down list). There used to be a site here (http://torinak.com/font/lsfont.html) where you could get names and glyphs in fonts. I'm not sure it's still there, though, and the firewall is telling me that the site violates corporate IT policies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines