Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Fonts [locked]

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

So, I was using a font from Adobe Fonts Catalogue and, one day, out of the blue, the font went missing and was removed from the catalogue. Just like this.

Is it common to ditch fonts this way?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

I am not an Adobe employee. I can't, and don't, speak for them or their decisions, nor am I privy to their decision-making process. I would assume that they did all they could to talk the two foundaries in question out of removing their fonts from Adobe Fonts and were unable to.

To re-emphasize. This was not a decision made by Adobe. From what Dov wrote, Adobe was not at all happy that this happened but if the foundaries decided not to renew the licensing contract there wasn't anything that Ad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the missing font family was offered from either the Font Bureau or the Carter & Cone font foundaries, it is no longer available through Adobe Fonts because those two foundaries decided to pull all of their fonts from Adobe Fonts. You will need to contact the owning font foundary to license them directly. Dov Isaacs posted an explanation here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-fonts/font-bureau-fonts-being-retired-awesome/td-p/11090652?CId...

Note that this was not a decision made by Adobe. The two foundaries decided not to renew the contract allowing their fonts to be used. I believe Adobe sent an email to people using those fonts from those two foundaries in projects about a month ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to understand the way agencies work with big clients. When we use one font or another (Miller display in my case) in a brand design manual for a client -provided by anyone- and we say it's no longer available, then the client feels that they can no longer rely on us. It's a matter of trust. My first thought would be to buy the font family -of course- but we shouldn't (and wouldn't) give the font to other agencies abroad, for (the same clients') localisation purposes. So the only thing left to suggest to the client, is to buy the font. That's not right. Adobe should have found a solution to that already, by bonding all the foundries with fonts included in the Adobe fonts library.
I tried to answer back on the "Miller display topic" but it's now locked.

We communicate here because we want to find solutions, so that all of us -including Adobe- can learn the way we work and become better; in services and products we all provide.
(sorry for my language mistakes)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not an Adobe employee. I can't, and don't, speak for them or their decisions, nor am I privy to their decision-making process. I would assume that they did all they could to talk the two foundaries in question out of removing their fonts from Adobe Fonts and were unable to.

To re-emphasize. This was not a decision made by Adobe. From what Dov wrote, Adobe was not at all happy that this happened but if the foundaries decided not to renew the licensing contract there wasn't anything that Adobe could do about it. 

This was a decision made by the two foundaries in question, and if you have issues with that decision you should be talking to them, not to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines