• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Source Serif Pro apostrophes are inconsistent

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Source Serif Pro seems to use two different apostrophes, the one shown on the Adobe fonts website, and then the one that appears after I download the font and begin typing. Can anyone confirm which apostrophe is the correct one?

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello – The top mark is an apostrophe, the bottom mark is a prime mark. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Molly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the prime mark has a slight tilt to the right, whereas the Source Serif apostrophes shown on Adobe Fonts do not. 

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/source-serif#fonts-section

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only workaround I've found so far is to open Font Book (I use Mac), navigate to the Repertoire view mode, and drag and drop the correct apostrophe (Glyph 485) into my document. When I try to type the apostrophe using the keyboard I get the incorrect symbol (Glyph 488).

Using Unicode Hex Input doesn't work, just the drag and drop from Font Book works. I've deactivated the font, then reactivated it, but that didn't change anything either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear defaultwathf3h4x5hf,

Source Serif contains various following apostrophe-like glyphs:

U+0027 (') APOSTROPHE
U+2018 (‘) LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
U+2019 (’) RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
U+2032 (′) PRIME

(among others).

Which one of these you’ll see depends a lot on your keyboard layout, typing habits, and software.

Assuming a US keyboard, typing the apostrophe key may produce a straight quote (also known as “dumb quote” – typographically not preferable).

Some applications will convert straight quotes to curly quotes automatically (e.g. InDesign’s “Typographer’s Quotes” setting).

If you want full control over your quotes, enter the characters deliberately – to type ‘this’, I use option-] for the left quote, and option-shift-] for the right quote (US keyboard layout).

other bits of information:

- the straight quote is virtually never used in typography, its presence and simplified shape is a holdover from the typewriter era.

- the prime symbol is used for specifying feet and inch, hours and minutes, etc.

- please also note that the latest version of Source Serif is Source Serif 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines