• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 11 in Win 10 Environment-Avenir Black and Black Oblique fonts not rendering correctly

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this on the Adobe FrameMaker Forum, and have not been able to get the issue resolved, so I thought that I would try here.

I am working in Structured FrameMaker 11, version 11.0/0/380 in a Windows environment.

I'm encountering issues with the bold and bold+italics versions of the Avenir LT Std 65 Medium font not rendering when I attempt to apply them to text by using the paragraph designer. In the FM font menu, the Avenir fonts list like this:
Avenir LT Std 35 Light

Avenir LT Std 45 Book

Avenir LT Std 55 Roman

Avenir LT Std 65 Medium

As I understand it, the Avenir 95 Black font is the equivalent of the Avenir Medium when bolded. The Avenir 95 Black Italics is the equivalent of Avenir Medium when bolded and italicized.

In the paragraph designer, when I select the Avenir 65 Medium font, the only available choice that I have under 'Weight' is 'Bold'. I do not see 'Regular' as an option. When I select 'Bold' and click the Apply button, the bold weight (Avenir 95 Black font) is not being applied. I can't apply the bold-italicized version either (Avenir 95 Black Italics).

It was suggested that I check the Weightings list in the FrameMaker maker.ini file and add the following entries, if they are not currently there:
Black 400
ExtraBlack 800

I added it and it did not resolve the issue.

If I remove the AvenirLTStd-Medium.otf and AvenirLTStd-MediumOblique.otf from the C:\Windows\Fonts, the Avenir Black fonts apply to the text, but the Avenir Medium is not available. There appears to be an issue between the Avenir Medium fonts and the Avenir Black fonts.

Any ideas as to how this font problem can be resolved?

Would it help if we purchased the latest version of the Avenir font family and install it?

TOPICS
Font rendering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You were correct to post this issue on the FrameMaker forum since this is clearly a FrameMaker-specific issue. FrameMaker does not use the standard Windows font enumeration capabilties and not the same enumeration performed by other Adobe applications such as InDesign and Illustrator.

I'd normally recommend that you contact Adobe Technical Support, but unfortunately, FrameMaker 11 is no longer supported by Adobe. The current version is FrameMaker 2019 (actually version 15), four versions later than what you have.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines