Exit

Add ogg/ogv vorbis theora to Adobe Media Encoder

Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question comes to me once in a while :

How to add ogg/ogv vorbis theora to Adobe Media Encoder

Adobe Media Encoder makes it easy to encode anything (standalone video files, PremierePro, After Effects, Photoshop exports). It allows multiple file outputs, and its interface make it so easy to understand you wonder why everything is not done the same way.

The huge part about that is that i can build a preset and let AME work in the background on any videofile i need, even queuing dozens of movies.

But.

Once in a while, i have to do web formats, html5 videos which are asked as mp4, sometimes webm (less now), and ogg. Would love to start a queue folder, or just a small preset and let AME do both. Except i can't export .ogg/.ogv files from AME.

When I search for answers, the very few answers are :

- go and ask for it on the feature request page (which i did today, twice, since i couldn't find a dedicated thread on AME there)

- use any free external converter

- we can't because licensing forbids you to include this free codec inside a commercial product (without releasing all the souce as free license, which you don't want, and i can understand that).

- .ogg/.ogv are not "professional video formats" don't expect pro to answer or help…

- what is firefox/mozilla/linux?… etc.

Now, what i'm (really) doing, and invite others to do :

- Fill that feature request (simple one "I need html5 video codecs included with AME OR a simple guide on how to do this", "i need to include different formats, fast, from this one tool", even put the link of that thread ( http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1239632 ), so they know where you're coming from (and later blame me on this))

- Use the external converters

- Spread the word.

- find answers.

- find someone who would explain in english (i might translate in french if the solution sounds doable) how to do this, what are the ways to add that.

Disclaimer : I am NO developper, so there's no chance i "change" things in the available sources of the format/encoders freely available. But i CAN follow steps.

If anybody from adobe or the users have answers, ideas that i have overlooked, don't hesitate.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

I saw your post and another one talking about Ogg support in Premiere. I thought it would be pretty easy to do, and it was! Download here:

http://www.fnordware.com/downloads/Ogg_v0.5b1_mac.zip

http://www.fnordware.com/downloads/Ogg_v0.5b1_win.zip

In fact, it was so quick I decided to add support for FLAC as well. That might have been a mistake. It was much harder and in fact I never got it building properly on Windows. But for Mac users you've got FLAC support too.

Programmers, feel free to help sol

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw your post and another one talking about Ogg support in Premiere. I thought it would be pretty easy to do, and it was! Download here:

http://www.fnordware.com/downloads/Ogg_v0.5b1_mac.zip

http://www.fnordware.com/downloads/Ogg_v0.5b1_win.zip

In fact, it was so quick I decided to add support for FLAC as well. That might have been a mistake. It was much harder and in fact I never got it building properly on Windows. But for Mac users you've got FLAC support too.

Programmers, feel free to help solve the Windows issues, because this plug-in is open source. It's up here on GitHub.

Brendan

(PS - Yes I am guilty of essentialy copying and pasting my post from this thread.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ! Works so well, but audio only so far I hope the video part won't be harder and you'll find time to wrap it…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Franck, just wanted to let you know that I did look into Theora. Once I learned that it is an HTML5 video format I thought it might be worth doing a plug-in. I took some first steps, but it quickly became apparent that it would be a pretty decent time investment. Not like the Ogg Vorbis plug-in which only took a few hours. I spent a few hours with Theora today and I can't even pop up a frame yet. I bet I'll get back to it someday.

Have you checked out my WebM plug-in? I think that is really the successor to Theora. It's even based on the same lineage of codecs, Theora with VP3 and WebM with VP8 and soom VP9. Are there browsers that can play Theora but not WebM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh

That's what i feared (and i can understand the reason)

I checked your webm plugin and it's working well, so i'll have to try it. (thank you by the way)

What i'm a bit scared of is that some pcs which were supposed to read both mp4/h264, and ogg prefered the ogg tag. At that moment i didn't try the webm, and don't have any pc here to try. Theora would have been one more option.

So thank you for the help, that webm plugin is really useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Franck, I seached online and found some code to make reading Theora files a bit easier, so I've managed to throw together a very early version of a Theora plug-in. I've only got it built on Mac so far, and I'm about to leave town for a week and a half. So if you're on Windows you'll have to wait a little longer, if you're on Mac, you can try it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is excellent news, and of course it"'s working (I'm on Mac and i'm delighted).

Thank you soooo much for your time, patience, sharing, etc !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it's working! This first version has some issues, the biggest one is that it's pretty bad at seeking in a Theora movie you import. All the code I found was designed strictly for playing from the beginning, so if you pull up a later frame it actually has to start at the beginning and decode everything forward. Hopefully I'll be able to fix that in the future.

Since Theora is in an Ogg container just like an Ogg Vorbis file, I had hoped I could merge those plug-ins. An Ogg Vorbis file should just be a Theora movie without video. Just like QuickTime is a container that can old several different codecs, so is Ogg.

The libraries I'm using weren't letting it happen, but hopefully one day I'll get it all working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

umm - interesting post on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video#Free_formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'm back from my trip and have made a Theora plug-in for Windows if anyone out there is interested. Rather than post more download links here, I've put links in the ReadMe you'll see if you go here.

Also put links in my WebM repo here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had to reply to say thank you! I'm a game dev and OGV is the only option in some applications. This was a life saver.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all,

I was looking for the Theora ogv plugin for adobe media encoder on mac that was available but i see links are dead, do you think someone could upload it again ?

Thanks in a advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are download links on the GitHub page:

https://github.com/fnordware/AdobeOgg

Make sure you download the Theora plug-in for .ogv video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi fnordware,

could you tell me how to install your .bundle files ? Or where to put it ? (on MAC)

Thank you very much !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines