Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Folder in My Documents folder

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to point out an incorrect behavior of some Creative Cloud programs, which create an Adobe folder and subfolders in “My documents” folder on PC.

I think this should be avoided, as My documents folder is a private area, in which no program should store any data. It poses for instance problems in the synchronization using other tools (such as Synology).

On Windows platform (I don’t know about Mac OS) there are specific folders created by the OS (C:\User Name\AppData\Local and C:\User Name\AppData\Roaming) where programs can store their own information. And by the way this is done by most Adobe programs.

So, please change the features of the corresponding programs (Premiere Pro, Audition, etc.) and stop the generation of these folders.

Thank you,

Pascal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

This is a user-to-user forum with some oversight by Support staffers ... who are not in the product development teams, nor the chain of command for the Creative Cloud Marketing & Experience staffers (the all-important M&E people).

And it's the CC M&E people, not even the product team people, that would be the ones responsible for this decision. The individual program teams would not have authority to change that one iota.

So ... the only place to go is their Premiere Pro UserVoice system, wh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Request you to kindly visit the link shared below and select the specific product community.

https://forums.adobe.com/welcome

The experts would be able to help you with the product related query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this a "correct answer?" It literally doesn't answer ANYTHING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taters are gonna tate. Potatoes are going to potate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to resolve this without using the Terminal? I'm also having this problem, and I'd apprecite Adobe to stay out of my documents folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep noticing this too.  The reason it is annoying is that it places the folder in OneDrive.  Anytime there is an interaction between OneDrive and Adobe Creative Cloud, it starts downloading everything in my onedrive photos folder to my local pc where I do not want it.  Today, when I did updates it triggered this behavior -- after I thought I had ended this nightmare forever -- and I had to shut down OneDrive again, then free up space, again.

Specifically, it added this "PhotoshopPrefsManager" log to the Adobe Folder in My Documents in OneDrive.  The time stamp certainly matches the time I was doing the update.  And I noticed it because the download was taking FOREVER.  That is because it was downloading all my files while simultabeously downloading the updates.  Once I shut down OneDrive it started going a little faster, but not much.

It truly is the bane of my existence (both the frequency and enormity of the updates and the fact that Adobe keeps triggering a massive download from OneDrive everytime).  I actually have it working fairly well at the moment in that I have my work quarantined on three local root C Drive folders [outside OneDrive] that contain things I am working on NOW.  [and when I am done I can move them out to a mirror folder on One Drive without triggering yet another download for the millionth time].

I also have these folders bookmarked in Bridge so I will never accidentally touch a OneDrive folder again.

My question is, if it has nowhere to put the preference manager file in the future (because I will always have to shut down OneDrive), is this a problem?  Where else would it store my preferences?  Why would a software update trigger this as it should not affect preferences?  I was actually using photoshop a little bit after the upgrade with no adverse affects which I would expect if the preferences were inaccessible, therefore, they must be somewhere else.

Anyway, as others say here, stop placing files randomly throughout my PC without at least asking where I would like them to go.  That just seems so basic because it's only after a long interval that I discover all this stuff that I never knew existed and it's taking up space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem on the Mac too. Adobe is always creating a folder in the user's Documents folder. It's been driving me crazy for years now. 

Previously I would use Terminal to at least hide it, but now with the Documents folder being synced to iCloud I end up having to see the useless Adobe folder on all my iOS devices. So annoying. 

Also incredibly annoying coming into this thread and seeing to responses from Adobe people asking you to post this somewhere else and that being marked as the correct answer. Just freaking fix it! Do your job. What do we pay money every month for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it does default to the Documents folder, you can certainly set to go anywhere you want. In the Adobe Creative Cloud app, in settings you can set that folder to sync anywhere. I set it to another location a while back, and checked and the setting is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks just found the setting in the Creative Cloud app and changed it. Hopefully this finally frees my Documents folder of Adobe's junk folders. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me where? I cant seem to find it in settings.  I only see the instal location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that, but I had to also change it in Photoshop under "Preferences > File Handling."  I keep discovering new places where I have to change settings to stop the annoying behavior.  However, I don't really believe it will ever stop because I always find another "trigger."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried updating the location of the app to my local docs folder.  There are so many places I need to change it I would appreciate a list of them all.....

I still keep seeing an Adobe folder in my OneDrive account which contains the most hated DynamicLinkMediaServer and Photoshop Cloud associates.  Where does it keep coming from???  I have tried literally everhthing and six months later I am still struggling with this.

I wouldn't care so much if it did not cause ALL of my photos to be stored on my pc despite the fact that on OneDrive, I always Free UP space and I always have files on demand checked.  I free up spaceliterally 20 times a day.  And it doesn't matter if I totally disable onedrive while I am working on Adobe.  It keeps coming back the moment my back is turned.

I have no problems on my other pc where adobe is not installed so it must be a problem with this.  And no, disabling the OneDrive app is not an option.  Especially as the apps are going to try to deposit the folders there anyway.  So what happens if it no longer has acccess to this location.

I feel like I am not communicating well because this problem keeps coming back.  The only thing I found on a Reddit thread was to disable "DLMS Format Support" with no clue how or where to find this.  I have searched preferences in Photoshop, Lightroom, and the Adobe CC interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back and tried it aqgain in the Creative Cloud aggregate app.  It is set to "This PC" (which is actually OneDrive).  I tried to change it to the "C:" (local drive) and it refuses to allow me to do this.  I am so annoyed I wnt to literally take this whole thing and smash it against a wall.

People have been complaining about this for literally almost a decade and NOTHING has been done.  The Cloud is no longer "optional" (if it were I would not torture myself with it) and I want a fix for this.  Not ten years from now, but NOW!!!!!!!!

I just weant the stupid PhotoshopPrefsManager file to stop being created in the adobe folder on ONEDRIVE.  When I say that I waaste at least ten hours a week searching for a solution to this, I mean it.  I am SO SICK OF IT!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This setting doesn't exist anymore, not on macOS at least.

You can set the location of the "Creative Cloud Files" folder, which just stores syncing project files. This is different from the "Adobe" folder that gets generated in the user's Documents folder.

@Adobe, would really appreciate a way to change that folder's location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another massive update and still no way to fix this problem.  I am so beyond furious at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely Agree!  Over the past couple months, I have had weird privacy infringements with Adobe.  Two separate online support guys access my computer using the Bomgar remote access app, even though I hadn't read all the details or given one of them approval.  They brought what would be a small work window up full screen on a 27" imac-so i wasn't able to see what was happening on the desktop or beyond the app.   After reducing the window size several times amid a painfully slow tech guy's visible interaction and repeated maximizing, I kicked him off my machine, and suddenly-settings for my desktop and documents had been changed to sync with icloud.   In minutes, I was scrambling to get my files back to the machine.   Why would they want my desktop?  Hmmm... well, let's see.  There was a folder with my unemployment claim information with ss# and all sorts of private data that Adobe does not need.  To add to the narrative, the solution to the question/tcch issue was not related in the least bit to the procedures their online support had utilized.   And yet, we wonder how a huge scandal like thousands of Washington state resident identites used by criminals invalidated legitimate unemployment claims by sneaking in fraudulent ones.   Data and info are uploaded right before our eyes.   Yuck.  And, there are no alternatives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this issues been resolve for Macbook users? my adobe files keep appearing in my "Documents" folder without my persmission. 

Can someone at Adobe please address this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please provide a solution for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user forum with some oversight by Support staffers ... who are not in the product development teams, nor the chain of command for the Creative Cloud Marketing & Experience staffers (the all-important M&E people).

And it's the CC M&E people, not even the product team people, that would be the ones responsible for this decision. The individual program teams would not have authority to change that one iota.

So ... the only place to go is their Premiere Pro UserVoice system, which does get to the M&E people via a collated upload of all postings there. Search for this, I'm sure there's a bunch of things filed about this.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I may have found a solution that works at least when using only Photoshop. Please report any sucess with other programs in the suite!

I opened 'Preferences -> File Handeling' and changed the path under 'Cloud Documents Local Working Directory' to a less invasive location than my Documents folder. Then I deleted the 'Adobe' folder from 'Documents'. Starting Photoshop does not seem to recrete the folder now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines