Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! AME CS6 WMV Codecs Missing on MAC OS

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have installed AME CS6 as part of Premiere Pro CS6 on my MAC (running MAC OS X 10.7.4) via Adobe Creative Cloud but the WMV Codecs are missing. I have already installed the Adobe Media Encoder CS6 (6.0.1) update too and my Adobe Application Manager is saying that all updates have been applied.

Please help as I need to output WMV files weekly and currently I'm having to transfer everything back to my Windows machine and encode the WMVs on AME CS5 which is really not workable for me!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Installing Windows Media Player for Mac will allow you to import WMV in AME, not export.

Exporting to Windows Media Video was never available in AME on Mac.

I would recommend bootcamp or virtual machine if you want to use Microsoft's format on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

WMV is a Microsoft compression format.

AME needs Windows Media Player to encode and decode it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dima. So if I install Windows Media Player for MAC OS will AME be able to encode WMV format ... will the option / codecs appear? or is it not possible to encode WMVs on a MAC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing Windows Media Player for Mac will allow you to import WMV in AME, not export.

Exporting to Windows Media Video was never available in AME on Mac.

I would recommend bootcamp or virtual machine if you want to use Microsoft's format on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SteveB369,

You could try "http://www.iskysoft.com/imedia-converter-mac.html". It works like a charm and you won't have to use Windows on your Mac.

Best regards,

Bas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Bas, I'll take a look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was just chacking to see if this has been solved or not - clearly not.  However, I thought I'd contribute what we do.  We use AME to export native files from Premiere (Frustrating as we export everything else in it's delivery format - saves us bags of data and compression time - a complete revalation when we suddenly realised we don't need hi res exports unless they need to be delivered high res!)  We then use Sorenson Squeeze which we still have from FCP days in conjunction with flip for mac pro which, using the Quicktime export funtion allows you complete control over wmv exports.

If Squeeze can recognise the plu-in, surely AME can be made to as well and it would save those of us who have to encode to WMV lots of time.  It would be great if Adobe could address this issue,

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly my opinion on the issue. There is a way but since Adobe has the market eaten up why would they care about the customer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently started using this guy http://www.aimersoft.com/mac-video-converter.html

Does a great job on WMV, way more reliable that the flip4mac solution that always seems to cough up a lot of problems. Hope that helps, these types of convertors are pretty hit or miss and seem to come and go on a regular basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2014 Mar 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encounted the same issue and found that using a WMV converter like: http://faasoft.com/video-converter-mac.html is more easy than encoding WMV with AME on Mac. And this WMV Converter can directly play WMV files and doesn't need to install Windows Media Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In AME cs5 was option to encode to .wmv why is removed, i cant understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a pretty old thread, but I just found a great workaround for WMV files on a mac. I uploaded my WMV as a private video to YouTube and then re-downloaded it as an mp4. Worked like a charm and I didn't have to download any software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines