Cannot import After Effects projects

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, I cannot add any After Effects compositions to the queue in Adobe Media Encoder. When I try to add something to the queue, it either produces the error message "file format is not supported" or tries to connect to Dynamic Link server and says "file could not be opened". I am using AE v 17.1 and AME v 13.1.5 and have not updated either piece of software recently. In fact, it was working fine yesterday, before I shut down my Macbook Pro.

 

It's worth noting that a few months ago, I had a similar problem with AME 14.x (connecting to Dynamic Link forever or displaying the same "file could not be opened" message), but I solved the problem somehow by reverting to v 13.1.5.

TOPICS
Dynamic link, Error or problem, Import

Views

152

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrade both softwares and if you're still having issues, create a new AE project and import the old one, and try adding. If you're having issues after that, try resetting AE prefs.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, upgrading both pieces of software has seemed to eliminate the problem for now. Hopefully, it gets rid of the problem for good.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Media Encoder was able to load the project directory and compositions once, hence my previous post. However, the next time I tried to import a project, it said "file format not supported" again. I tried creating a new AE project and importing the old one and adding something, same result. Then I tried resetting AE preferences, same result.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned in my previous post, upgrading both AE and AME did not solve the problem. Creating a new project and resetting preferences also had no effect. However, afterwards, I tested identical files with different filenames afterwards, and it seems like AME sometimes has trouble with filenames that have special characters, such as "#". After removing the special character, AME was able to open the file.

 

However, I find this odd because AME never used to have problems with special characters up to the point where I started experiencing problems a few days ago. Additionally, when I first started encountering this problem, I tested a variety of filenames without special characters, but none of them worked. I wonder if this is a really multifaceted issue, and whether it's known that AME has problems with special characters...

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using special symbols if filenames is typically not a good idea, glad you figured out a workaround.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned in my previous post, upgrading both AE and AME did not solve the problem. Creating a new project and resetting preferences also had no effect. However, afterwards, I tested identical files with different filenames afterwards, and it seems like AME sometimes has trouble with filenames that have special characters, such as "#". After removing the special character, AME was able to open the file.

 

However, I find this odd because AME never used to have problems with special characters up to the point where I started experiencing problems a few days ago. Additionally, when I first started encountering this problem, I tested a variety of filenames without special characters, but none of them worked. I wonder if this is a really multifaceted issue, and whether it's known that AME has problems with special characters..

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines