• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you Import Color palette's into Adobe XD?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been looking for material design gradient header color, googled alot and found a Material palette gradient colors, it gives me a zip. file but i have no idea where to import it. I know with Photoshop you can go to the folder and add the palette there, but I don't seem to find a similar option for Adobe UX. Is there another or easier way to do quickly get the colors you want in your assets?

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Existing color swatches from Photoshop or Illustrator can't easily be imported or opened in Adobe XD, because they work differently. Work-around: you can go to Photoshop, drag these colors from the Swatches panel to the Libraries panel, open the CC Libraries in XD, use them on an object an add the color to the Assets panel.

Schermafbeelding 2019-06-05 om 16.59.17.png

Schermafbeelding 2019-06-05 om 17.01.07.png

I know, it's a tedious approach, but that's the best you can do for now.

Don't forget to hit the VOTE button at Adobe XD Feature Requests & Bugs !

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 2 years since that feature suggestion. How is this still not a thing? This feature omission creates endless headaches for designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you can currently. With the linked assets workflow, you can now import color palettes as a part of your design system directly into your assets panel, which means you can do exactly this.

Design systems in XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How? I have Photoshop swatches (.ase files), but there's no option to import them into XD assets panel. That should be a basic functionality! Trying to migrate projects from PS to XD is such a nightmare...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Existing color swatches from Photoshop or Illustrator can't easily be imported or opened in Adobe XD, because they work differently. Work-around: you can go to Photoshop, drag these colors from the Swatches panel to the Libraries panel, open the CC Libraries in XD, use them on an object an add the color to the Assets panel.

Schermafbeelding 2019-06-05 om 16.59.17.png

Schermafbeelding 2019-06-05 om 17.01.07.png

I know, it's a tedious approach, but that's the best you can do for now.

Don't forget to hit the VOTE button at Adobe XD Feature Requests & Bugs !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I missing something? When I tried dragging colors Photoshop only allows me to drag one swatch at the time rather than the entire folder or even when I did select multiple colors only the first one gets imported to the library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another workaround: paste a bunch of rectangles (it can be any form actualy) with the colors of your palette, select all of them and press (+) icon on the Colors of ASSETS panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the solutions here, Gustavo. This will definitely help our customers with this issue. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This still only does it by a single square at a time. Can you post a video of how you do it in less than a few clicks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems people do not understand the goal from the question. Adding colors to the "Assets" panel is not it. I too would like to know how to import color swatches into the color picker, so when you select an object, you can select the color you want to use. Why?

1. Easier than goign to the assets panel all the time
  2. You might not want to save some colors to your assets (experimenting, etc.)

If not an easy way to import to the color picker, then the color picker should reflect the colors in your assets panel, at minimum. —Is there a valid reason Adobe is not doing this?

JamesSharp-SC_0-1594224094688.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree, James!
Not having the possibility to "import" the swatches from other XD files, make the working process incredibly annoying. To be forced to add the same colors with every new file is a slow working process.
For this, our workaround was to create a "master" file that has all our design system colors predefined into this file. So, every time someone would start a project, would have to copy the master file and use it for that particular task/project. 

This is how I ended up here, on this page, today. I was trying to find out when this feature will be added to XD. Seems we still have to wait for it. It's a shame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround still is very cumbersome very disappointed why this hasn't been incorporated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines