• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Request-States do not inherit component instance default state modifications

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so the scenario is as follows:

1. You make a button template component, that has a body shape with fill and border, and a text label.
  2. For that component you add a state - let's say Hover, but any state works the same
  3. You make an instance of the component. You adjust the button width and change the button's label (standard component usecase I suppose?)
  4. You test the hover effect: of course the interaction is applied, but the instance adjustments were not inherited in any way for the instance's states - on hover the button's label changes back to the default placeholder, and the button auto-animates to the master's size.

I suppose the solution is to apply instance modifications to each of the instance's states separately, but that seems like something the component feature should address rather than require the user to do manually for every element.

The new states feature has been especially disappointing with an ongoing app design, where I already have most of the design system established. It was initially logical to me that I could add a Hover state to the component's master and all the instances, across the artboards in the entire prototype would "simply" inherit it, but alas - I found they only show the master's state on hover. Needed to undo all of that since it basically broke the prototype for any kind of use, and I definietely do not have the time to go instance-by-instance and apply all the component edits again.

Unless I missed something and am doing this wrong.

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Hi All -

Apologies for the inconvenience around the effort required to manually change states in component instances.

We're actively working on addressing this issue so that changes made to the Default State in an instance would propagate to other states within that instance.

Stay Tuned.

Thanks,

Sherif

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 145 Replies 145
Explorer ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for "hyperlinks". That issue has been open for about 5yrs now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😪 I and my team have given up. We're testing Figma now. I have to say that—among other things—Figma has nailed it! It's like heaven and hell. I hope we won't go back to the Adobe Xd… That ship has sailed sank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As sad as it is, I'm also currently moving to Figma, I get the part that Adobe made bad choice in development. I feel like I did a bad choice starting my learning curve on Adobe XD and now had to start again with Figma, but, well.. is what it is. So far, great tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sank and wasted so much time and money for so many people. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. Let me assure you, I'll share your feedback with the Engineering team and you can do that too by sharing your suggestions here https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/38973007-allow-com...

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if you guys think that they are sunsetting it or hear about anything please let us know =D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has invested a lot in this product, so they wouldn't ditch it. It is their only specialized UI / UX tool. It's a growing field, so no - they won't quit on it.

The problem is some bad decisions were made at the beginning of the product's development. Building it on UWP being one of them, along with the "touch friendliness" and other useless trends. They started going back on some, like adding back the top menu for Windows, but the tool is still riddled with inconsistencies and bugs. I imagine they will have to re-write a lot of code from scratch, to fix everything and make it the powerhouse it should've been from the start. Text engine comes to mind - it's been broken on Windows for 3 years now and it is far too limited for a design tool.

There's also other factors - the covid situation has impacted the dev team and company employees, which has likely slowed things down this and last year. The last meaningful update was with the semi-working component states in November 2019. After that it's been small features and patches, with just as many bugs. It's hard sticking to schedules with less people, and they are probably forced to release "something", hence the smaller updates and bugs. 

It will take some time until they are fully back on track. In contrast - Figma is browser based, so they don't need to invest as much resources and develop for multiple platforms at the same time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So empty promises?

Please fix this instead of working on stupid voice-command features that no one uses.

Fixing the product should be a number 1 priority instead of adding ridiculous things.

How do you event select features did some intern come up with that s***, and the board was just baffled by the randomness? This is exactly why people are moving to another solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe — Can you PLEASE put this as the #1 priority on your backlog? Thank you.

This problem alone made me switch to Sketch for my current project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has pretty much stopped supporting XD. Time to move on to greener pastures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... just wow... 

I come from Figma and wanted to use Illustrator. Convinced the team to take the full application plan so we could start using XD only to find out a rather simple function is requested by many but never developed. I could write this feature in a day, it's only keeping track of references and keeping the content of the references in sync. Nov 2019 "we're actively working on addressing this issue". July 2021: still nothing. If I'd take 2 years to develop a rather simple feature, I'd want to quit my job.

How can this not be a priority? The whole point of a application like XD is fast UI development, if I wanted to copy my changes to different states I might as well use Illustrator. 

That being said, I'll switch back to Figma with saddens me as I've been a fan of Adobe since Illustrator 8 because it's ease of use, intuitivity and sharing objects between applications. Saidly we pay for all the random features, voice-command whaat?, that are never used and have to wait for deal-breaking features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't planning to write as by now I have lost all hope for XD. I downloaded Figma yesterday and played around with it some. It seems they got everything right that XD got horribly wrong. Adobe XD is dead. If it weren't for the occasional Photoshop/Acrobat needs I would ditch the Adobe subscription altogether (XD doesn't deserve our money). Someone wrote here that Adobe had stopped supporting XD, I didn't want to believe it but sadly, it's true. I don't see any chance whatsoever of them ever catching up with the competition. Bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to finish the current project in XD to avoid transfering files but had 4 or 5 crashes in 2 workdays. The project consists of 4 artboards with not a lot in them. This application is a total joke. 

XD doesn't deserve our money

Totally agree!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same here. Basic functionality is apparently not an issue for Adobe – switching back to Sketch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use Figma already... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicole, I liked your message and earned a badge. This is a great place to earn badges, but no so much for GETTING THINGS FIXED, ADOBE! Man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I truly believe they will fix it with the new 2021 big release, it's beyond sad the problem is still there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wake up Adobe, it's a must have...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not even an aswer from Adobe, they focuse so hard on new features and some of them not even requested by people, but essential things like these are ignored completely.  this has been here for years and I don't think they will fix it any time soon.  

I should be thinking on moving my workflow to figma or other app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry for the delay. As of now, we don't have a time frame by when this feature would be available however, let me assure you I'll share your feedback with the Engineering team. Please stay tuned here for updates on the request.

Regards

Rishabh 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to complain but the functionality being requested is really critical. Lacking this, I cannot even remotely understand how anyone at Adobe considered component states to be ready for release. If you have to go in and edit, what exactly is state bringing to the table? People have been asking for this for years now. I have convinced a couple of my Fortune 100 clients to use XD but I am starting to seriously regret it and plan to switch back to Sketch, or over to Figma, as soon as my current project allows for it. A real shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We already switch to Figma, everuthing works perfectly. No regrets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ?! Ho ?! Are you kidding us ? Is this an experiment to test how long we can wait for a critical feature ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sherif Assaf, @Rishabh_Tiwari, Adobe,

Any update on this feature request? I have the same issue currently. 2 years since the OP and it seems quite long for a feature update that the other tools offer on the market.

Best,

- Nitish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines