Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to turn off the snap to grid in XD?

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I am trying to get the snap to grid function off on XD and there's no way I can make it work. I am trying to do a bullet point that is selected, and the circle inside keeps jumping from one side to the other but not right on the middle! Can anybody help me please?

Thank

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Hi @CRISTINA247492529w6i,

Thank you for elaborating on the workflow as requested by our expert. You may try using these alignments option which might help you bring the arrow in alignment.

HARSHIKA_VERMA_0-1654620009296.png

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the steps that you create that effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 17.02.39.pngScreenshot 2022-06-07 at 17.02.32.png

Hi, 

So here is another example of what I am trying to do. I want to center the arrow in the middle of the circle, and when I move it, the arrow jumps or way higher or much lower.  I feel the arrow jumps around giving me the feeling that its snapping to a grid.

I am not able to place it exactly where I want, I am being restricted of placing exactly where I need it to be. I dont have this issue with Illustrator - is just on XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CRISTINA247492529w6i,

Thank you for elaborating on the workflow as requested by our expert. You may try using these alignments option which might help you bring the arrow in alignment.

HARSHIKA_VERMA_0-1654620009296.png

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@HARSHIKA_VERMA This is not the correct answer and I don't know why someone marked it as such. They are asking how you can align small objects WITHOUT using the alignment tools because the alignment tools do not always align how you want it to, such as if you are aligning text and you want it to align visually as opposed to aligning to the outside box of the text (which is almost never exactly on the left most part and right most part of the visible text, because characters are inside of a box and not all characters hit the outside of the box). 
So using the alignment tool does not work in a lot of instances. 
Follow their example and try it with a small element. No matter if you hold command (mac), any other key, or if you zoom in it will most likely not align exactly how you want it to. 
As Cristina asked, it is as if it is on a grid that you can't turn off.
People would say "why don't you just create the icon larger and then scale it down?" But if you do that, it will move everything around when you scale it down in XD or if you scale the raster it will degrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is obviously some bot that got only keywords of this post and thought that figured it out. I hate when these bots think that we ask for the most basic things. For example when we have a very exact problem with a flight, the bot from the ariline's webpage that doesn't allow contacting the real person, thinks that we just want to check-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have recently started working with XD and I am really dissapointed how less personalisation we have comparing to for example Illustrator. When you hit view, you have a few options and when you go to edit>prefeences you can only change...language :c it is really frustating. 
Stating all of it, I didn't find any snap box to uncheck :c 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines