Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing from Illustrator into Adobe XD

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to ask, if I have made a design in Illustrator for example a web page with many artboards, can I import all the elements in adobe xd or do I need to design them again inside the adobe xd? I tryed to do copy and paste from illustrator, it works but if I copy and paste a shape and a text the text doesn't work (is not active) it is like an image but I can not separate it from the shape.

I am looking forward for your answer

Thank you

Dionysia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Enthusiast , Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

You can;t import directly a AI file, but you can do a couple of things:

- Just copy the ai content and paste it to XD

- Export the content as SVG or any image file from Illustrator using the Export for selection, then choose a format or multiple ones

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Hi All,

Thanks for visiting this thread. I would like update this with the latest info-

To open an Illustrator file in XD, do one of the following:
- In XD, select File > Open. Navigate to the required folder, select an .ai file, and open in XD. You can also use the Cmd+O (Mac), or Ctrl+O (Windows) keyboard shortcuts.
- Drag the Ai file over the XD icon (on Mac only).
- Right-click the Illustrator file and select Open with > XD from the sub menu.

Here’s a list of what’s supported and not supp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can;t import directly a AI file, but you can do a couple of things:

- Just copy the ai content and paste it to XD

- Export the content as SVG or any image file from Illustrator using the Export for selection, then choose a format or multiple ones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I am working on something similar and saw this discussion. I'm using Adobe CC.

So I am able to open my Ai files in XD and it imports correctly (all shapes and layers are intact).

However, the artboard size seems to be very different (Ai is bigger), even though I used the template of iPhone 6/7/8 in both softwares. When I try to scale the work so that it can fit the smaller artboard of XD, all sorts of stuff doesn't work (e.g. all line-thickness stays the same) and fixing that would be too much effort.

Do you have any idea, why the size difference and how I could easily fix that?

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for visiting this thread. I would like update this with the latest info-

To open an Illustrator file in XD, do one of the following:
- In XD, select File > Open. Navigate to the required folder, select an .ai file, and open in XD. You can also use the Cmd+O (Mac), or Ctrl+O (Windows) keyboard shortcuts.
- Drag the Ai file over the XD icon (on Mac only).
- Right-click the Illustrator file and select Open with > XD from the sub menu.

Here’s a list of what’s supported and not supported at this time: https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/kb/open-illustrator-files-in-xd.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks for this answer but I am still having problems. I lose some of my text formating and some text is not even text once I open my ai file in xd - do you have any help with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @siosiana26471096r1bc,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the trouble. Would you mind telling us the if it's happening with a specific Illustrator file? Please share a screenshot for better understanding. 

It would be helpful, if you can share the version of XD and Illustrator installed on your machine along with the operating system details.

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika, 

Thanks for the reply. Using Ai 2023 and XD 56.012

AI_ A to XD_A - text becomes unformatted

AI_B to XD_B - it becomes not text in XD

Any help will be great - thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the requested info. Is it possible for you to share the XD and Illustrator file with me over a private message so that I check on my end? If yes, please upload the file to a shared location such as CC or Dropbox and share the URL with me over a private message.

Please also share the details of your operating system as well.

I will try my best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, I was able to figure out the problem, if I opened an Ai documet in XD and the text had bullet points or special characters - XD changed the text section to an image. Once I deleted these, worked ok.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines