Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link back to multiple and different previous art boards

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Folks, 

It seems i have an issue to link to previous art boards and there is no option to link back to multiple and different previous art boards. 

For example, if 10 artboards has a back button, then it will become looping between only two artboards when user is exploring 2 specific artboards within them. 

Is there option in adobe XD to fix this issue? 

Thanks you  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Made a bit better looking example, here's the prototype, and here's the file.

You can add scroll groups in there (overlay and/or component) and whatever you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Hey Spas, 

Thanks for that. Very clear illustration. I shall implemement that on my prototype. 

Have a nice day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share prototype link to understand your project or screenshots in prototype mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ares, 

Sorry about a late reply. 

Please find  the prototype link in this emailhttps://xd.adobe.com/view/be7bbd85-7a2d-4021-9f35-f9de6f526c23-eb28/ .  To simplify the workflow, I use the artboard number (e.g. Art.1)  to illustrate the issue. Below is the correct order, 

Workflow 1:

Art.1 > Art.3 > Art. 4 >  Art. 3 > Art 1. 

Workflow 2: 

Art.2 > Art.3 > Art. 4 >  Art. 3 > Art 2.

So if I put Art.3 to link to previous artboard, the Art. 3 & Art. 4 will become looping, which is undestandable, as the action before Art.4 was Art.3. This is the same as for the Workflow 2. 

Therefore, the only way to solve this issue is to dulipcate Art. 3 & Art. 4. and link the Art. 3 ( 2 of them) to Art. 1 & Art. 2. 

This works fine, if you work on a small project. But if you work on a large project that involves over hundreds of artboards, it's become impossible, as you have to duplicate hundreds of the same artboards to avoid looping effect. 

So my question is, is there any way to link back to multiple and different previous artboards without duplication. 

Any help will be much appreciated. 

Best wishes 

Lee  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be working for me. I'm using "Previous Artboard" on all "Prev" buttons. Here's the file.

As Ares requested, can you share a screenshot of your project showing all the links? (select all artboards while in prototype tab)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spas, 

Thanks for your reply and your demo. 

Yes, if I use previous artboard action for all "prev" buttons, thats works fine. When you want to demonstrate a sequence of previous actions that users went through. 

But what if,  you want your user to go straight back to the "starting points" (e.g. home page 1, 2, or 3) in the middle of workflow. The only way is to duplicate multiple artboards where you can link to the starting points. As, once you selected link to previous artboard, you only have Drag, Keys&Gamepad, and voice left as trigger. 

Have a look the attached image from your demo, see if you can solve the issue. I couldn’t find any. 

Thank you Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 17.41.27.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so you want to be able to go back 2 steps, skipping the screen you came from and going to where you started instead? In your initial example and the app prototype, you only had 1 screen back.

You can't have two triggers of the same type on one element.

Not sure where you need this in your prototype. It seems to me you can go to that podcast through 2 routes, but closing it should go back to the screen you opened it from. It's hard for me to imagine a real world example of this, where the 'Back' button goes to the home and skips the previous screen. Maybe an overlay with tabs, which you close and go back to the initial screen, but that would also work with Previous Artboard + Component States. This has some limitations, depending on what exactly you want to do. If you send me the file, I can try to set it up.

Xd keeps the 'breadcrumbs' it seems, but you can't skip one. Skipping can only be done combining overlay with component states, and it's pretty hacky, like this. It's really just an overlay, and the 3rd screen is a component with states, covering the entire screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Spas, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I have an issue to attach the example of project that I'm working on, as it's too large to attach in here. 

So I have attached the screenshot below and I believe it's nice to avoid a sequence of previous actions that users went through, and go straight to the 3 x starting points if they wanted to. Especially when you ask the users to perform several actions to accomplish the goal.

Also about the example that you used by combining overlay with component states, can you  able share the file for me that I can see how did you do it? 

Thank you  

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 12.46.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Made a bit better looking example, here's the prototype, and here's the file.

You can add scroll groups in there (overlay and/or component) and whatever you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Spas, 

Thanks for that. Very clear illustration. I shall implemement that on my prototype. 

Have a nice day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I can't do that is to get into "Jess’s collection – 3" artboard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ares, 

I have demonstrated the issue. have a look above if you can solve it or I missing somthing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines