• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Padding in text boxes in Adobe XD.

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text should be flush against the text box so that when design files are exported for development, the developer can get accurate padding values.

This is really problematic and almost defeats the purpose of the dev link if the values aren't measured from the edge of the text.

The text is flush against the text box in photoshop, why not XD?

We're in a space where we have to do two iterations of the layout. 
1) Design to the edge of the text so that we know what it should look like.
2)Before handing over, shift all copy blocks so that the dev link values exported, state what it should be despite it being optically incorrect. - very confusing for the developer

It's adding so much time to the process and isn't sustainable especially when it comes to designing detailed, text-heavy components 

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Download install and licensing , How to , Import and export , Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Hi Jade,

We understand it could be the useful feature and thank you for sharing your feedback. We have seen a similar request has been raised here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/34854922-allow-user-entered-margins-and-padding-around-text

Please submit your feedback and upvote the request to add your voice. Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jade,

We understand it could be the useful feature and thank you for sharing your feedback. We have seen a similar request has been raised here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/34854922-allow-use...

Please submit your feedback and upvote the request to add your voice. Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although this new feature is helpful, this still does not resolve the issue at hand. Adobe XD absolutely needs to remove the extra space between the actual text and the bounding boxes. Is this something that the Adobe XD team will consider resolving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe - This is really serious issue (IMO more than important) to have tools within yours app can create accurate mockups and design, without manual corrections of position before design is provide to development team. And it makes aftermath, ex: In case there's some default padding on textbox, witch couldn't be set up / controlled by designer it makes measure tool unuseful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years later and this issue has still not been resolved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're completely right about this, Jade. The link that the moderator gives you for a "similar issue" is not this issue at all. I still haven't found a solution for this, and I honestly do not understand the logic for having designed the program this way in the first place. There is an arbitrary padding around the text inside the bounding box so that you have to either eyeball the alignment or other inefficient workarounds, or convert the text to a path to get accurate placement... then, of course, you can no longer change the font or any other font-related properties. I don't understand this, and I truly hope we see a solution to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spot-on, Jade. I thought i was doing something wrong but clearly not. To be honest this renders XD next to useless and they really should sort it out. Ridiculous. Blow adding it to a feature request list it's a basic requirement!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.
My team was migrating from Photoshop to XD for HTML designs.

Now that I have encountered this problem in the way XD has been designed,

I am now considering switching again to Figma.

Can we please get an ETA on when Adobe will consider fixing this flagrant design flaw?

Or are we all missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand how we're in 2022 (more than 2 years later) and this issue still hasn't been resolved. So many issues with Adobe XD that I am sincerely considering just switching to Figma permanently.

It's extremely difficult to measure appropriately if the text boxes aren't aligned with the actual text. There's simply too much space around EACH side of the text that can't be resized.

How is anyone supposed to accurately measure how far elements are away from one another if the empty space on ALL sides within text-boxes take up anywhere from 5px- 20px?

- Karen rant over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is driving me nuts. I have a ridiculously massive prototype that I'm having to run through and measure precise gaps between text boxes by drawing a new box between them, eying it so that the box sits perfectly against the type, and then use the height of that box to get the measurement.

So confused - how are developers meant to take XD designs and replicate them perfectly when these gaps are based on text boxes with their own random amount of padding around each edge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, it's the only thing making me consider Figma at the moment. I get everything lined up, but the text bounding boxes inaccuracy causes everything else to be thrown off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given adobe have bought Figma, and this particular issue STILL hasnt been resolved in XD... i think we we all know what we have to do. XD will be gone soon like so many other half realised adobe products i've wasted my time on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines