• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Phantom objects in components that aren't in the Main component

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a series of components that all include a ghost group/object when used.

The object is a duplication of a group within the component, but it doesn't exist in the Main component. 

I've found several convoluted ways to clean it up; most of them seem to work temporarily. However the offending group/object continues to return after a day (or even hours). 

Steps to reproduce:

1. I place a component onto an artboard or the pasteboard by dragging it from the assets menu. 
  2. The duplicated group/object will be present. 
  3. I delete the extra content.
  4. I right-click on the component and choose "Reset to main state".
  5. The duplicated group/object returns.

This object is not present in the Main Component, so there's no way to eliminate it.

This issue carries over to any XD document that uses the component library. 

Additionally (I will report these as separate bugs when I have time).

• Everytime I open Adobe XD, I get a crash report dialog (This has been going on for the last several Cloud updates. Yes, I have the lasted version.)
  • If I attempt to "Edit Main in Source Document, it will open the source document, the progress bar for opening will get to the end. The document will then be frozen and I have to kill XD using Task Manager. 

OS = Windows 10 Pro (Build 19041.572)

XD = "Up to date" no known way to access build information

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay resoponse. The above issue that you described is working as designed. As the functionality of " Reset to main state" is to clear all overrides on an instance and resets it back to the Main Component. 

For the other two issues, please create a new post so that we can investigate on it separately.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate your response, but I have obviously done a poor job of communicating the issue. 

I fully understand the function of "Reset to main state". So much so, that I'm certain this is a bug.

It is NOT resetting to Main state. 

It is, instead, resetting to a state that doesn't (or shouldn't) exist. 

Scenario:

• I have a main component with at least one nested component
  • I drag the component to and artboard or the pasteboard
  • The component recently placed on the artboard contains a [phantom] object group that is not in the main component.
  • This 'phantom' object group has the same name as a component that is nested within the main component.
  • When attempting to "Edit main component", this 'phantom' object group does not exist
  • Duplicating the main component will produce a correct instance of the component (without the 'phantom' object group)
  • If I modify the duplicate and then Reset to Main, it will introduce this 'phantom' object group that is not in the Main component

Hypothesis

I wish I could provide you with an example of this, but since posting, I have spent 20 hours recreating all of the affected main components, updated the library and reconnected every instance of the components to their associate prototype actions.

However, I do have a decent working hypothesis regarding this phenomenon.

It started with the XD update for component libraries and related updates to the behavior of nested components (regarding the existence of main components nested in main components). While I can't say for sure that I had main components nested inside main components, it seems the most likely scenario to have produce the issues I'm reporting here. 

My belief is that some aspect of this new functionality has caused a misalignment of pointers within the main component to a previous version a nested component. 

In every case where this behavior has occurred, it envolved a duplication of an object group within the main component. The duplication has the same name as a nested component that is also in the main component. I suspect this relates to the current XD behavior regarding nesting a main componenent inside a parent main component. Since XD no longer permits a parent component to contain a nested main component, there's a chance the issues I'm experiencing are created when XD attempts to resolve the dilemma. The result, in my case, is that even though the duplicated object group has been removed from the main component, it is still linked somewhere in the document so that it will continue to manifest whenever the component is used in supsequent applications or in XD documents that subscribe to the component library to which this component belongs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines