• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD files flattened

Advisor ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use layered PSD in my XD document it gets flattened when I right click on it to Edit in Photoshop. The very first time I edit the layers from XD the layers are intact but after that first edit it gets flattened. This happens with all PSD files that I use in XD.

W10. All up to date on everything.

TOPICS
Design , Prototyping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Hi,

The "Edit in Photoshop" feature is intended for bringing the advanced photo editing capabilities of Photoshop into XD, and applying them to images from within the XD document (e.g. JPEGs, PNGs).

We do acknowledge though the value in being able to seamlessly edit the same (layered) image across XD and PS, and it's something that we do have on our radar. Thank you for confirming once again the need for such a feature, this is very helpful for us when prioritizing our future efforts.

Thanks,

Ale

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO PSD file has been fllatened and converted to jpg after first edit  (reason - get smaller file).

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what's the point in having direct PSD support when layers are removed? It's kinda pointless then. The main benefit with native Photoshop document support is seamless workflow cross PS and XD. If the layers are removed the value is substantially reduced. Layers are THE reason I'm using PS. If the purpose of flattening is to reduce filesize then it would be more sensible to make that a manual action for us to apply when the document is finished. Or at least be given the opportunity to store the original layered PSD. I had a bunch of adjustment layers lost when I wanted to edit the file for the second time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True point +1.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The "Edit in Photoshop" feature is intended for bringing the advanced photo editing capabilities of Photoshop into XD, and applying them to images from within the XD document (e.g. JPEGs, PNGs).

We do acknowledge though the value in being able to seamlessly edit the same (layered) image across XD and PS, and it's something that we do have on our radar. Thank you for confirming once again the need for such a feature, this is very helpful for us when prioritizing our future efforts.

Thanks,

Alex.

Senior Product Manager @ AdobeXD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex, 

I'm a seasoned Photoshop user (since v3!) and have recently started working in XD to prototype apps. I was using Sketch. I have to tell you, after I discovered the edit in Photoshop feature, I was elated, only to find out, after editing a 40+ screen app, that every single last one of my layered photoshop files was gone. I mean I searched deep into the temp files directories and nada… I lost over a day's worth of work. It didn't even occur to me that those layers would not be saved, or at the very, very least, a warning would have alerted me to the fact that closing them would flaten them down. To make matters worse, the first time you close them and reopen the layers stay intact, so you conditioned me to think all was working well. This is a massive, massive design blunder. This post was initiated last year. Please prioritize a fix or a warning so other new users to XD don't end up as livid as me. It's enough to make me return to Sketch. The whole point of staying within the Adobe eco-system is features like this that should just work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @juanf2k,

Sorry for the frustration. We would like to confirm if you've lost the Photoshop file or the XD document. The original issue was about the layers flattening on imports. 

We will try our best to help you.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the direct link from  XD to Photoshop is great but losing the layered PSD file is unfortunate.

Since this feature is not available I have used a work around saving the PSD with layers to a folder on my computer.

Adobe please include as a future update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines