• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing in XD? Why is this so hard?

Contributor ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be missing something obvious here because this seems strangely hard to achieve what I want... I'm really new to XD, but have many years of PS, AI & ID experience.

I created a group, then a component in XD. It's attached here. I made these components a little too large on the page, and I want to them all to be smaller. So, I select the component or components and try to resize. But when resizing, it seems to be using responsive resize and I end up with a jumbled mess (attached) instead of the entire component or group just getting resized as it does in Photoshop, for instance.

What am I doing wrong? How do I turn off responsive resize and resize as I'd like to?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

If you'd like to see Fixed Size text be able to be scaled, there's a feature request for that. Scale text area – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sarahpeller, you can find a toggle switch on the right sidebar, under the "Layout" section to toggle responsive resize (as seen in this video https://youtu.be/Nxi2kBF7uiQ?t=48 ) Hope this helps!

👉🏻 Get 80% off my Adobe XD Essential Training Course https://www.udemy.com/course/learn-adobe-xd-ux-designing-and-prototyping-from-scratch/?referralCode=BA76FDA9CA97A5565E05 Follow us for more free tutorials and tips: https://www.appdesigntips.com https://www.facebook.com/appdesigntips ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but Responsive Resize seems to be turned off and the button is also greyed out. I have watched this video and still can't figure this out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to turn Responsive Resize off on the main component. That's an instance you have selected. It looks like it's still on for the main compenent that this instance is based on.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, that's interesting. I will try that.

However, if you see the video I posted in my last post, I created a new button and have not made it a component. I just made it a group. When I try to resize, I have the same issues. Is this because it needs to be a component to be resized properly or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to make the whole group smaller, as you can resize in photoshop or illustrator. Whether I have responsive resize on or off doesn't seem to help with this. Here is a screen recording that I took. I'm just trying to make this button smaller, but when I resize, the whole thing gets scrambled. I tried toggling the button, but no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're making Fixed Size text boxes rather than the Auto Width text boxes you want. For single lines of text, click when making text, DO NOT drag. Dragging creates a fixed size text box, clicking creates an Auto Width. Fixed Size cannot be scale, but Auto Width can!

To change a text frame after you've made it, click here:

DanRodney_0-1663020248989.png

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you'd like to see Fixed Size text be able to be scaled, there's a feature request for that. Scale text area – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, yes, this mostly works. But I think I will put in a feature request because although this mostly does the trick, the entire button does get a little messed up in the rescaling process and you have to go in and fix things a bit. Sometimes you just make something too small or too big and you simply want to resize the whole thing and not lose your formatting, ya know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines