• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Washed out colors after export in XD

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colors.pngHey, im trying to design something in XD and always after exporting to for example .png, colors are washed out.

I attached screenshot where you can see exported png (at left) and XD preview (at right).

As you see colors after export are less saturated and washed out than during designing in XD.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

XD is not colour managed. (It should be using sRGB throughout.)

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/17480899-color-management-set-color-profiles

But is your monitor configured to display sRGB correctly in the first place...?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try exporting for different uses?

I'm wondering if XD treats Design and Web exports differently with an assumption one needs to be a smaller file size.
I tried some quick shapes on my system and couldn't see any great differences between the XD, design and web colours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XD is not colour managed. (It should be using sRGB throughout.)

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/17480899-color-man...

But is your monitor configured to display sRGB correctly in the first place...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh you are right. I had default color scheme on my iMac instead of sRGB. Now when i switched, its displays colors right. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it actually SOLVE the problem for you, or just make it less pronounced?  I am having this same issue.  I switched my monitor from Standard to sRGB (I'm using a Dell U2410) and this made the difference less notable (which makes sense because it reduced the overall colorspace that my monitor is putting out).  However, the export still looks more muted when I present the images side by side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused by your answer.  If XD is already using sRGB for its color space, then shouldn't that mean that the exported (or browser shared) representations would look the same as they render in the original program?  What effect would the display settings on your monitor have?  If it's receiving the same hex code from the exported file as it is from the original program, shouldn't they both display the same way when they hit your monitor?

I tested out switching my monitor (Dell U2410) from Standard mode to sRGB, but this uniformly muted all colors.  What does this setting on my monitor do?  Does it just compress the saturation levels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. As mentioned above, we recommend setting sRGB as the color profile for monitors for the best viewing experience. If the display setting differs then the sRGB images used won't expand to the display's high color gamut. So as of now, I am afraid, this is the limitation which has been already been raised here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/17480899-color-man...

I'd request you to please upvote this request to add a voice to this feature request.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think that exactly answers my question.  It's not a concern for me whether or not XD is color managed, since it's already defaulted to sRGB.  Whether my monitoir is set to Standard mode or sRGB mode, the problem persists.  The exported (or web-shared) versions look muted compared to the way they look in XD.

Maybe I'd understand better if you could explain to me what exactly is happening when I put my monitor in sRGB mode.  It appears that this desaturates all the colors.  So, if I set my monitor to sRGB, and XD is exporting for web (also in sRGB) doesn't that mean that the image I see is being double desaturated, since it's going through multiple filtration steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The exported (or web-shared) versions look muted compared to the way they look in XD.

How are you viewing the exported image? Your browser/image viewer may not be displaying it correctly (or your monitor profile is wrong).

If it's a browser, this may help: https://cameratico.com/tools/web-browser-color-management-test/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it's a chrome, not an Adobe issue. For the longest time I too had this problem. The solution is quite easy, in Chrome got to Settings and disable hardware acceleration. Reload your preview and now your colors will look just as they did in XD.

This doesnt solve the problem when you share with clients, but at least you know this is currently the only fix. 

Adobe guys please, it's been years since this issue has been brought up. Sharing color accurate previews with clients is parampount. We can't be asking clients to change their diaply settings, calibrate their screens, or change their hardware acceleration settings. It should be a simple and accurate representation of our design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing this same issue, and it is not related to my monitor or browser. When editing the colors in XD they are much more brighter than what comes out when I export or share the prototypes. Perhaps it relates to the color management as mentioned above, but this should definately be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Let me assure you, I will share your feedback with the Engineering team and you can do that too by upvoting the request to add voice to the feature.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Kenneth Kawamoto 

Please check my attached video and see how the colour is changed after the exporting.. I am 100% sure this is the XD issue.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XSlnJVAM5KSlgY6Vwfm-cit3dA9hB1Dt?usp=sharing

Please check and resolve asap.

Thanks,

Pratik Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to tell from your video - do you have the before and after images to compare, perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Mateus

Changing your monitor settings will not correct the issue of lack of colour management for 2 reasons:
1. Not all clients or public viewing your design will be viewing in sRGB, so your design may be seen differently by different people with different devices.
(Sticking with the smaller sRGB gamut will reduce variability by designing for the smallest gamut viewers are likely to be using, though this is not the same as having a color-managed environment at both input- and output- end).

2. Files without colour profiles are interpreted differently by different software, so your design may be seen differently by different people depending on what software they're using to view your design.

Changing your monitor settings may make it seem like the issue is solved for you.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that's what your client is going to see.
(It's like the joke about the dog who plays hide and seek and thinks you can't see him if he covers his eyes with his paws.)
So setting your monitor to sRGB (assuming your display will even do that — not all do) is really just a stop gap, not a solution, and comes with its own problems.

We routinely have clients reporting that prototype designs are too saturated or undersaturated, depending on their viewing device and software — even when the designs are correct for web.
So we're back to the situation of print in the 1990s where we design for the lowest common denominator (sRGB) and have to check out the designs on different output devices (different displays using different browsers) before we send to the client.

Device-independent colour at the input end (in XD) would partially but not completely solve the issue. It would at least send a file that will be correctly interpreted by software that's competent enough to read a color profile. We'll still have the output end problem until browser/software developers and display manufacturers decide to get it together and do for screen what ICC did for print.

I honestly don't think there's any motivation to do that any time soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The export function still doesn't do a good job and washes out my color. Only fix I found was to put my play mode window full screen and take a screenshot on my mac holding cmd + shift + 4. This way the colors looked close to my intention and stakeholders were happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash, 

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. Let me assure you, I'll share your feedback with Engineering team, you'll surely see improvements in future releases.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe wants to be thr premier UX software this is a huge issue.  I love XD and my adobe but I am tired of the same post for years that you will relay the message to your engineers.  Adobe is design software but can't output acurate designs, this seems pretty fundamental. When is this to big fixed or should the design community just move on to the competition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this should be solved immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just come on here to relay that this IS a huge issue for our entire web development company. Currently we have been screenshotting each web page- this is unnaccepatable. Adobe XD should have the same color exporting/ smart display features that the other adobe products include. I'm hoping to see this corrected in 2022. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it hasn't been corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please share a few more details like:

1. The version of XD & OS.
  2. In which format you are exporting? Is this happening with all the files?
  3. Does changing the monitor profile to SRGB makes any difference?
  4. Please share a few screenshots.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been literal years since the question was first asked. How is it possible that this issue still exists on a paid product? 
Adobe out of all people should know that color fidelity is incredibly important. 

Rishab, in case you didnt read the 178383283728 comments above, when you export onto ANY format on the latest XD, the colors come out looking dull and washed out, the same happens when you create a preview link, the result on the browser is dull, washed out design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running macOS 12.6 

Adobe XD 54.1.12.1

same result exporting JPG via Zeplin plug in or File Export

100%

Web or Design 

Still testing next week but reverting user back to XD 43.0.12.14 export function works normally and colors match.

confirmed colors match on 2 users runnign XD 43.0.12.14 (one user still on Mojave MBP2015 and other MBP2018 Monterey)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS - macOS Monterey. Version 12.2.1

Files are exported either as PNG or SVG but the results are the same, colours are flat and dull.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines