• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When prototyping, can only get a button to link to other artboards when clicked and not other states

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am prototyping an image carousel with a forward and backward arrow. I for some reason am unabe to set the destination for a button to go to other states. It only gives me the opton to link it to other artboards. How can I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

I see, thank you for clarification. I think the problem there is, as far as I remember, in order to reach an upper component state, the interaction element should be a static element, not a component (Although we can go back from the 3rd slide to 2nd with the left arrow, I'm not sure but still 🙂 Maybe that's because the left arrow is not a component in 3rd artboard, that's why it works there) As far as I can see from the icons, left arrow is a component, and the right one is just a folder. I'd

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Martin24694738gvxk, it would be great if you could mention the structure more (even better if you could share some simulated file/prototype if you're not able to share the actual file's elements) as far as I understand, there are carousel buttons with different states and the whole carousel including buttons is a component, you're having problem while trying to reach the component states in prototype mode, using the buttons, is that right? Going to check later if you give more info 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AkinGn,

That sounds correct. Sorry if my verbage is confusing, I am relativly new to this.

Here is what i am working on. As you can see, you cannot click the left arrow to go back to Default state.

https://xd.adobe.com/view/673f5c6b-53df-4b0e-bf95-74c991bcefce-326c/

I have attached a side by side screenshot. on the left, it lets me link to other states. On the right, it does not allow me to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, thank you for clarification. I think the problem there is, as far as I remember, in order to reach an upper component state, the interaction element should be a static element, not a component (Although we can go back from the 3rd slide to 2nd with the left arrow, I'm not sure but still 🙂 Maybe that's because the left arrow is not a component in 3rd artboard, that's why it works there) As far as I can see from the icons, left arrow is a component, and the right one is just a folder. I'd suggest ungrouping the left component and probably you'll see the upper component's state as destination. Let me know if this doesn't help, I can investigate further or maybe some other expert can suggest something else. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, thanks! I made that left arrow a component because I wanted to make it get bigger when hovered over, but I think I am just getting ahead of myself here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it 🙂 Hmm if I'd really want hover effect on the carousel buttons, instead of making the whole carousel a component, I'd keep the buttons as components and make carousel transitions between the artboards, as you mentioned in your first post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will try that out today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines