• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When using Ubuntu font my apostrophes change to a superscript 9

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When adding text the apostrophe looks normal and everything is fine but as soon as I click off the text box a superscript 9 replaces the apostrophe. I cannot use a different font here as this is the standard font for the client. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you post a screenshot of the issue or a video of it happening? Does it happen on any file?

How is the font added? Have you installed it regularly, or are you using some font manager software?

Lastly - are you on Mac or Windows?

In general, Xd is pretty glitchy when it comes to text and does some weird things like changing the font while editing and back to the selected one once you click away, similar to your case, so that's not a surprise, but I didn't manage to break it on my end 🙂

I tried it and apostrophes look fine on the Ubuntu font.

SpasK_0-1648274912356.png

Fonts usually have multiple versions and stylistic alternatives, and Xd doesn't manage these, so if only certain styles are installed and not the whole family, it might be causing issues. In the end you can just reinstall the whole Ubuntu font family from Google fonts and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. I am using a MAC, I have a video of the issue happening in real-time. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Ubuntu font but it doesnt resolve the problem. I have the entire font family installed as well. I am using Univerasal Type Client to install the fonts. I will try downloading the fonts from google instead to see if that fixes it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, definitely try to install the fonts without the client. Looks like some glyphs are missing or at least Xd is struggling to find them, so it's using a substitute. I also notice the apostrophe appears straight and then becomes curved almost instantly after you type it, so it's definitely some mix up going on with stylistic alternatives. I'm on Windows, but I might have seen something similar in Xd some time ago. As I mentioned, Xd's handling of text is far from the best.

Sometimes these font manager programs don't include all the glyphs to make fonts lighter, so that might be causing the issue. Don't know enough about how it all works under the hood to 'diagnose' it, maybe someone else can pitch in 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just uninstalled from UTC and installed directly from Google Fonts using the Mac's Font Book and it has fixed the issue. Hopefully this is the end of it. Thanks for your help on this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines