• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which unit does Adobe XD use for pixel sizing?

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

is Adobe XD using dp, px, pt? I can´t find this information in the gui.

Is there a option to change between units now?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Hi!

XD currently uses a virtual pixel for most of its measurements (including font size), which should be the same unit of measure as a CSS pixel, or most measurements in iOS. It's roughly equal to 1 physical pixel on a 72 dpi monitor (and, incidentally, a point).

I'm afraid there's no option to change the unit currently. Which units would you find useful?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Hello there,

The pttopx converter you linked is using the conversion of number of pixels = number of points * (pixels per inch / points per inch), where the pixels per inch (or DPI) can change, and 72 is the typical number of points per inch. This whole problem of converting design units to a physical size is tricky, and so, at least for now, XD kind of sidesteps it.

It's easiest to think of XD as unit-less, kind of like a vector graphic, and focus instead on the relationships between elements. Le

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 101 Replies 101
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have access to the above forum. Can you post an update here and let us know an ETA on when this will be fixed? Its been a year since the original post and I still don't see this on the known issues page (https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/xd/kb/known-issues.html)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is corporate gaslighting. aka dark patterns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not. Font size issues are a delicate matter.

Sketch is also having difficulties explaining it to users.

https://twitter.com/sketch/status/897049898977157120

Quote: "We are looking into providing a more detailed explanation of this as it can be quite a complex matter!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about corporate gaslighting, it's just a terrible mess...

If you don't believe what I've been telling a year ago, read this guide: 

https://learnui.design/blog/ultimate-guide-font-sizes-ui-design.html

Yeah, I know, it's about Sketch. But they have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am also facing the same problem with the Adobe XD design specs when handed off to developers.  When I'm designing in XD, unit measures are not the same as pixels indicated on the version for Developers.  This is causing a problem for design hand off to developers.  Font size, icons, padding, line height, etc. are all different in the developers' CSS version in web browsers. 

I urge Adobe to fix this issue.  In the meantime, I will have to look into using a different tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@harshika Can you please assign someone else instead of Abhishek, as he is irresponsive and it's not helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you get an answer for that issue? I encountered the same issue. evrything looks fine on the xd but looks huge when developing. How can we convert the points to pixels automatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I didn't get the answer for this. So, I have moved to Sketch because of this.

I think Adobe XD is still not there and they are more focused on mobile apps design rather than desktop. Whereas, Sketch is far more sophisticated when it comes to designing for a mobile or desktop-based UI, which works perfectly for a designer like me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is crazy 

everyone i know left XD to figma or sketch because of this issue

why cant you solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love xd, but I've just left xd for that same problem! I do not understand why the team does not work seriously on the basics ( fonts is a BASIC ) in place to add special featuring. I never received feedback from the team. 2 years that I'm still waiting, so...know I decide to work with Figma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue adobe xd display screens the size of everything by 75% thats why our current work around we need to convert all the font size, grid etc to 75 less which is so frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this has a solution 

go to http://howbigismybrowser.com/

check your browser

then in XD change your canvas size to that width & the veiwpoint to that hight

http://prntscr.com/qxqqj3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont get you solution it still does work out.

If you reduce your artboard, you pixel units will still say the same.

I have made a button on XD where the width is 217px and height 71px. When I code the button on the browser the button looks very large is comparison to what is displayed on XD. 

It seems to be that XD pixels units are not real pixels units are they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out a resolution to this issue? The thread link offered by @karanpreet_chawla doesn't have the answer. 

ISSUE: The desktop designs on XD are sized correctly (fonts, icons, etc) all assets are correct in terms of XD design. However, when the developers try to export the designs into the staging sites fonts and icons look bigger than they are supposed to be. Inspecting the elemenets show they are sized at the same px size XD claims to be. In XD, fonts are measured in points, investigating the developer link shows that when you change the character style options from px/pt/dp the value stays the same. There should be some conversion. For example: 11.25pt should be 15px // this does not equate in XD. When will there be a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is boring , also from my experience , adobe meant to do this errors , not in font size only but in other options as well , such as Zooming and grids.....etc Worst UX ever

My office can't understand this problem and don't have time for it , thats why I had to move on  using Figma and InVision

I've read many questions in this adobe community , and I can't find a single correct answer.... useless platform

also one last thing , the Plugins ..... omg even words can't describe .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's appalling that almost a year in and this fundamental issue still hasn't been fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What? This is the only reason I went to Xd because it should be accurate. Ugh! How can comps even work if they are not accurate? How is this program even live if this is a known issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realized what the issue was. The mobile layouts are fine in development, it's the desktop layouts that have the issue. It is because of the preview. They are smaller than what they should be. Even if you look in the preview, and it is at 100% there  are still margins that shouldn't be there. The design doesn't change when you're looking through a 1920px monitor and a 1248px monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have access to the above forum. Can you post an update here and let us know an ETA on when this will be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not normal. I tried to move the 3rd time to adobe xd from figma seeing that you are slowly introducing paid subscription i thought that the product should be quite polished... this issue should have been solved 2 days after it was reported. I don't get it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have access to the link for the filed bug- are there any updates? has anyone found a solution to this?

Edit: How is this question considered solved when it is still an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance this is related to Windows default (Settings/System/Display/Scale and Layout) rendering everything at 200%. But because Adobe is "precise" software, it prevents Windows from adjusting how it gets rendered? I know that's been a problem for me in the past with other Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone have a solution to the font size issue on XD? A 15pt font size in XD is nearly 30% when the developer uses the same details to create the website because the value is 15px instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. I have found that a similar issue has been discussed here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/font-size-differs-in-web-browser-as-compared-to-xd/td-p/1053...

I am checking the status of the issue with the team and I will get back to you on this shortly.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i have seen that discussion but it has yet to oproduce any solution. The link to the bug forum is private so i can't see it either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines