• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 - Unable to edit text in input fields

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within a few minutes of working on a file I'll no longer be able to edit any text in input fields. This appears when I try to edit the position of an object by changing it's x or y values, rename a layer, or edit the distance of a stack. The only solution to this problem appear to be alt-tabbing to a another maximized application.

Switching to an application that isn't maximized has no effect. It must be a maximized window to "wake up" XD. This isn't much of a workaround, as there are times where I have to alt-tab to another application several times a minute. It appears to be a Windows 10 issue, as my teammates are on Mac and haven't had the same problem. 

This has been ongoing for several months and is a constant source of annoyance.

I managed to record a video of the behavior which I can share privately if it will help.

I'm running Adobe XD 40.1.22.3 on Windows 10 Enterprise (Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This has been ongoing for several months years and is a constant source of annoyance."

Adobe knows about it (they must, at least, as its been discussed in numerous threads and commented on by staff). For some reason it seems unfixable, so we are left waiting for Microsoft or Adobe to do something about it, some day in the future. 

I suspect the fault is so big that a major code rewrite is needed for the text engine, as it has other problems as well. That would explain why it hasn't been fixed for so long. Unfortunately, the only "fix" that I know of is the Alt+Tab thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's new to me. I've been using XD on Windows 10 for quite some time and have only seen it this year. That may be due to the complexity of the files I'm working on, and that they're all cloud documents now using shared libraries. Previously I always worked locally on simpler files.

It occurs on two separate systems that I have, and is definitely worse on the system with the lower performance CPU. Both systems have 32 gb of RAM, and I never see it go beyond 50% usage there. 

Luckily my teammates are on Mac's and don't have the same issue, so they're able work without the constant breaking of focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's only happening on Windows, I think it might have something to do with UWP, as Xd is the only app that is built as such and not on win32 like the other products, and only Xd has issues with the performance of the UI itself. Simple drag & drop and moving layers in the stack were causing problems not that long ago.

I don't know if specific windows versions/updates are breaking it more, it seemed to happen more often during some periods / versions and not so much during others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be fixed for me as of the 44.1.12.5 update! I'm currently using Windows 10 Enterprise (Version 20H2 Build 19042.1165).

I have to do some more testing, but I could usually trigger the bug almost instantly. As of 44.1.12.5 I was able to edit multiple text fields without having the text freeze.

Thanks for the fix Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my last post I thought it'd been fixed, but it still persisted. However, after speaking with Adobe support again I think it's finally resolved in the latest Windows release.

I tried multiple times to trigger the bug, but wasn't able to. This may finally be squashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines