Can we insert videos in XD?

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Se pueden inseryar videos MP4 en XD

The Tittle was edited by Moderator.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, that functionality isn't yet supported in Adobe XD. I would suggest you upvote this feature request here: Import Videos & Animated GIFs to show in interactive preview – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please let us know if you need more assistance on this. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can we insert videos in XD?

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Se pueden inseryar videos MP4 en XD

The Tittle was edited by Moderator.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, that functionality isn't yet supported in Adobe XD. I would suggest you upvote this feature request here: Import Videos & Animated GIFs to show in interactive preview – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please let us know if you need more assistance on this. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 28, 2019 25
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I am quite new to the Adobe suit, and I only Googled whether a GIF could be imported to XD; the answer was yes. However, after a day of playing with After Effects and Photoshop to create my very first GIF, and importing it into XD: it doesn't work!!

After a more thorough search online it seems that indeed we can't use any animations in XD? Seriously? Can anyone confirm / tell me loopholes to show the client the gif in the presentation?

And yes, I have seen the discussion, however this discussion has been going on for ages! No updates?

Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Flora

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 02, 2017 17
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if it is possible to include videos within the XD prototypes? If so, which operating systems does it work in and how do you add the videos?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 30, 2017 3
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, kimberleyb25080045​-

Unfortunately, that functionality isn't yet supported in Adobe XD. Please do upvote the idea in UserVoice: Import Videos & Animated GIFs – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

-Elaine

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 30, 2017 1
New Here ,
May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, the answer is now 2 years and 4 months old. Is there a positive development for designers?
Thank you very much.
derjoe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2019 5
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recent update on the post says that the feature has been started. That usually indicates that the feature is well on its way into a future update.

Thanks,

Preran

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

Any updates on this?

Thanks so much,

Aïli

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2020 5
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

How is the import-video functionality going? Any idea when this will be added to XD.

Thanks
JayJay

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am checking with the team. If that feature hasn't made it by now, the team must have changed its priority for some reason. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2020 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, almost three years after the initial question, still no video...

Of course not, because implementing video is a can of worms !

As soon as this pops up, every one wants their preferred format and feature with it. From simply looping to full-blown editing, from poster frames to cue points, from linked Youtube and Vimeo iframes to embedded MP4 and HEIV, from animated GIF support to HTML5 animation. And I bet even some one will put out a request for Flash...

And of course the first Community question will be: "Why doesn't my Autoplay work ?"

So I can understand why the product manager and the team are reluctant to even think of supporting video.

Unless they dare to impose very rigid restrictions to what can and can't be done, we'll just be kept waiting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2020 4
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you've got a good point.

But for me adding a video will be mainly used to help the client imagine what the final page will look like. It doesn't need to be fancy, if it only support gif, it's fine for me, XD is just a prototyping app and we need to remember this 🙂 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2020 1
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that we're both on the same page, because video is a delicate matter, often underestimated in its complications and implications.

Support for GIF would be the least obvious and favorable, with regards to how to create GIFs before getting them into XD, and why to support them at all. Users will rightfully and endlessly start to complain about the horrible quality, which is due to a very coarse compression method, totally unfit for photos – not to mention video. 

And what about file size ? Users will simply expect to toss in any raw video footage (HD or even 4K, which is totally unnecessary, but who cares), adding a truck load of hundreds of embedded MBs to the file size. So that's a huge technical consequence to be dealt with...

If Adobe XD is going to support any video file and format to be imported, then I bet they'll start with a strategic one, e.g. WebM (just to tease Apple) or MOV and MP4 with the H.264/5 codec (just to please Apple). Who knows ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2020 3
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?

Still don't have a way to show video/GIF? maybe some plugin that supoort gif or video??

Adobe XD force us move to figma or sketch just because of that...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 02, 2020 1
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a feature to show a background video or something would be good 😞 I will have to look at sketch if you say it can do this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 18, 2020 0
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ! Just Google "Sketch video import" and you'll find a similar mysterious incapacity in the Sketch ecosphere. There's no mention of a plug-in for that on theire Extensions page, there's some flawed plug-in supporting GIF import (one reviewer reported he quicly disabled it again), and another one to use linked YouTube videos (so you first need to upload them and be online to preview them). So the grass isn't much greener on the other side.

Like I said: video is a can of worms...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Flora-

You're right, you can't import animated GIFs yet, only static GIFs. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to import animation in at the moment, though it's something we're looking at in the longer term. We do have a number of features we want to put in first that would allow for more expressiveness, so you can expect to see improvements over the upcoming year as we grow XD. Thanks for hanging in there with us!

-Elaine

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 02, 2017 6
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Elaine,

Thanks for the update. What i'm reading from your response is that it can actually take a few years still?

Either way, I love the Adobe suit, though this is just an important missing element!

Cheers,

Floor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 03, 2017 3
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any timetable for this feature? It's so essential to get buy-in from non-designers, it bothers me to have to use InVision or Proto.io just to add video or GIFS, as their software isn't nearly as user-friendly...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2017 7
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elainecc Checking in on this 12 months on.

This seems like such a huge hole in the capabilities of AdobeXD. Being able to add animated gifs and or videos would go such a long way to the amount of detail that could be shown in the hi-fi prototypes XD creates.

At least 1500 other people agree...

Import Videos & Animated GIFs to show in interactive preview – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests ...

Hopefully this will show up in XD soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2018 4
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for highlighting this – we’re aware of it and are actively working on increasing our prototyping fidelity! Stay tuned…

-Elaine

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2018 1
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Any news on the video or animated gif feature for XD? Or at least an estimated time of release?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2018 3
New Here ,
May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you really need to add this feature. It's ridiculous not being able to use animated gifs or video in a paid-for prototyping app!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2018 10
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And still a year later, nothing has been implemented to cope with the need to add animated GIFs.

#IsAdobeListening

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2018 6
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Adobe reply was over 6 MONTHS ago!  I love the evolution XD but accommodating animated GIFs is not something that takes this long. An epic oversight. I love adobe but some decisions seem so wrong. Like ditching Edge Animate for example without any adequate replacement. HYPE will have been very happy though haha.

Please please please can Adobe update XD to allow animated GIFs!

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2018 3
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey hey,

I mean it's now two years ago and I still wish gifs to work in xd.

PLEASE make it happen. Gifs are from the 90s can't be that hard to bring them alive in xd. I hope.

Best Regards

Philip

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not hanging anymore

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will be great to make fully animated prototypes, from After Effects and Character Animator. We try now to bring an html5 animation with the backend developer inside after, but this is not wysiwyg. With this feature you go over other prototype applications.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologize for the frustrating experience and we will try our best to help. For the latest updates to this feature request see Import Videos & Animated GIFs to show in interactive preview – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests ...

Thank you for using Adobe XD and for your feedback.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this feature active yet or do you have an ETA on its release?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Preran, please give us a hint when this feature will be available! 

Serkan Zararsız

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its time to move to figma or invision

XD sucks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really! this is the same comment as posted in February 2017. So 3 years have past and Adobe still hasn't implemented. No wonder Figma is a prefered UI tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want import littile git to show preloader. In any case... Add animation like in protopie and request will clear. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 08, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Many thanks for your post.

The web/apps etc are packed full of animations and video elements these days - how can an app designed to be a prototype tool not allow for any animated elements... seems an odd one to have missed out.

Is this going to be added anytime soon? I really hope so- I think UX is one of the most exciting of all your new apps... but this really lets it down. I've read at least 50 posts about this subject today - so it should be bumped up your list

Huge love for the work you've done.

Richard

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2017 14
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree with this. A project that I'm working on has now come to a standstill because one of the screens requires an animated element. It's very unprofessional to have to present the prototype to my client and have to point them elsewhere to see the animated element.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2017 4
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! Any updates on this? I also want to use an animated GIF for my project. I have a series of screens in my XD prototype and only one of them has animated content, such as highlighting a part of UI and make that highlighting element disappear within 2 seconds. The entire XD demo is helping us understand overall user flow but that only one screen I am not able to create in XD itself since there is no support for GIFs. I wish we could use different image formats in XD.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2018 1
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elaine,

Please give us an update when we are able to add videos/gifs to XD? Is this going to happen in next few months or another year?

Thanks

Mari

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2018 4
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly Adobe is not listening to the needs of users. Still no animated GIFS in Adobe XD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2018 2
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They recently released an update for Adobe XD with the ability to use overlays in the Prototype view—you can fake a drop down menu or popup window/graphic/screen—to appear on top of an artboard.

While you still can't use the imported GIF and have its animation play automatically, for now, I found a pretty crude workaround. For simple GIFs like loading spinners or bars, you can treat them as overlays. For example, a loading spinner like this:

15-rules-14.gif

What I did was create 4 artboards for the spinner animation where I copied and pasted the GIF on each artboard. I set the first one to an overlay that would be triggered by a button on the site. Then I rotated the image 90 degrees on each successive artboard, and set each up as an overlay that would be triggered by clicking on the spinner, basically creating a loop. So when you click the spinner image, it advances to the next rotated image in sequence, and keeps them all as an overlay on top of the initial homepage artboard.

Here's a basic video showing how it works in preview mode. I click the button, the spinner artboard pops up as an overlay, and then I can click the spinner graphic to rotate through my spinner artboards to simulate the spinner animation.

animatedGIF_loadingspinner_62618.gif

Maybe they will fix this in the next update release and have support for GIFs to play automatically, but hopefully this works as a crude workaround for somebody.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2018 3
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, crap. I've just spent 30+ hours preparing animated gifs for a prototype for a client...just to learn it's impossible to add one. Silly of me to think that such a basic feature would be implemented in a paid app...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2018 3
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is there any updates yet? I just got an email from Adobe with Val Head valhead​ explaining the importance of animations with your designs... however it looks like it's all for nothing as we still can't add simple, basic animations to XD. I really don't get it? Why have her write an article about this as a moot point because we can't use it?

Please explain.

James

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2018 1
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol same here! totally expected Val Head's video to detail how XD added a timeline instead of showing me all the things I can't do.

Adobe raised their revenue forecast to $1.45B but maybe you can use Adobe Spark on iOS instead.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're now at 2 years since the original request.  Still no animated GIFs...  Disappointing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2019 6
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I'm new to Xd,

I was wondering if its possible to use custom animations created in After Effects within Xd? I

found some tutorials that show how to export out of Xd to AE, but not the other way around.

I guess I would export a .mp4 from AE then import it into Xd? and use a trigger?...

thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 08, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kingdome,

Thanks for using Adobe XD and sharing your feedback about importing .mp4 to XD. This feature has already been raised here: - Import Videos & Animated GIFs to show in interactive preview – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests ... I would request you to upvote it and share your comments as well.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ITS BEEN TWO YEARS GUYS...

I think I'm moving to the Famous app.

It's a damn shame too.

Adobe XD had so much potential,

only for it to lose its spark because it does support GIFs or imported videos?

Sad....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an animator and an illustrator and just saying ...if Adobe is reading this... hello: WANT WANT WANT NEED!!! Hello ...PLEASE!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHAAT, how is that not a feature on a paid software like that?? That doesn't make any sense, unfortunately Adobe is really awful at planning priority of the tasks that need to be done, it's a shame this isn't implemented even today

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2019 0
New Here ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years for this to even begin feature development for something like this which I'd consider to be a fundamental aspect of any UX design software is not okay to be honest. I'm merely a software developer who also does designs for the systems I work on and even I know how crucial this is. I'm really looking forward to seeing it come to fruition and XD has A LOT of potential, but over the past year of gradually switching to using XD to create designs for our systems at my work, I've realised that Adobe XD feels like a product that was released about 4 years too early and is only just catching up to the other systems already out there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with this. If they did only this, it would contribute an incredible ability and help them exceed anyone in the market. They do own After Effects that's already an invaluable product. All they had to do is to shift a few resources from there. 

Translate

Translate