Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Character spacing values incorrect in published XD prototype

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've noticed a discrepancy between the character spacing values on the prototype within XD and those published/shared with Developers, in the inspector panel. I've also confirmed this with a new test document too, in case it was document specific.

Here in XD, I've set character spacing to 0.5 for "Body 1" and 0.25 for "Body 2":

xd-body1.pngxd-body2.png

When I share them using the Development view setting, the values are not the same in the inspector panel:

shared-body1.pngshared-body2.png

Is this a known issue, and are there any workarounds?

I'm using XD version 27.1.12.4 on Windows 10. 

thanks
Richard

TOPICS
Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to reproduce your issue, and will log a bug with the product team. 

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a lovely topic for a Saturday evening !

It might be good to understand what the spacing value stands for.

Adobe XD's online Help resources explain that it's in "milli-ems".

Historically (since the age of lead type) the "em" stands for the width of the character m in the running font and size. So it's not a fixed size, but a relative measure. And that's how it is still interpreted in this digitale age, albeit that the width isn't depending anymore on the m in any given font or family (which can differ), but only to the set size. 

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-22 om 17.42.00.png

You can see how a value of 1000 inserts a square "em" of 20 pixels between the characters.

So in your example, that value of 0.5 is a 1/2000th of 16 = 0.008 dp and the other value of 0.25 = 1/4000th of 14 = 0.0035 dp. Due to the granularity in hundredths of a dp/pixel, I guess these values are probably and respectively rounded up to 0.01 dp and rounded off to zero dp. So the change in scale is correct – the rounding up/off could be under consideration.

Does this matter ? Well, for calculating sizes while designing with large or long texts and type, it does ! So these spacing values should be kept intact. For rendering on screens, there's actually no significant (visual) difference to be seen between 0.005 and 0.01 or 0 density pixels. We're talking about a hundredth or a thousandth of a density pixel here ! So the rounding of the value is really no big deal.

As a matter of fact: I think it's ridiculous to set a spacing value of less than 10 or even 50 for these text sizes. If you're able to discern the differences between 0.5 or 0.25 or zero, I suggest you apply for a job at a forensic institute, as a human microscope... 😉

What worries me more, is that there's a conversion of a typographical value, which shouldn't be rendered into a physical value. It's up to the browser to eventually do that. CSS allows em and pixel values: https://cssreference.io/property/letter-spacing/

BTW, here's such a square "em" in lead, that started it all...

em in lood.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I absolutely loved your explanation of the issue, Peter. While the team has confirmed the issue, I am sure that the person that fixes the bug will have similar observation in their notes.

Reading your reply made for a lovely start to my day.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines