Top menu bar with options ('File', 'Edit' and 'Object') are missing in XD on windows.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently became very interested in Adobe Xd and I just discovered this problem. Mine does not have the bar at the top of the page with the File, Edit, Object View, etc.... This is annoying and is very hard to work without. It is also hard to work with tutorials on projects. I noticed this in a youtube video on how to do something. Here is a screenshot from my computer:

XD 1.JPG

Here is a screen capture fro youtube:

XD 2.JPG

I don't know if this has to do with it being in Beta stage or windows vs. mac, but this is highly annoying.

Thanks,

H.

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

So, first of all, I hear your frustration about a top menu bar. We invested a huge amount of time in working on our Windows UWP experience because we believe it’s the future of the platform, one that represents a large part of the market, as you pointed out. As a part of our investment in the Windows UWP experience, we decided to commit completely to the UWP design paradigm, which is touch-friendly and removes the menu bar, replacing it with the hamburger menu in the upper left hand corner. You’re seeing Microsoft’s own products (think: Office) begin to move away from reliance on a traditional menu bar to an chunky icon-based strip at the top.

With our most recent release, we introduced basis pen and touch support support on Windows UWP only, and we’re making additional investments in this area.

You’re more than welcome to upvote the idea in UserVoice (https://adobexd.uservoice.com), and I’m not ruling it out for the future. But, for now, the current design paradigm set by Microsoft pairs well with the pen and touch support we’re bringing to the market as a Windows-only experience.

Hope that helps!

-Elaine

Product Manager

Adobe XD

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 28, 2016 1
110 Replies 110
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10 Pro.

It's now September 2018 and I still cannot find the File, Edit,... options in Menu side bar.

No such thing called "Mask with Shape" feature was found.

Try googling around and got nothing.

Can someone help?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 06, 2018 1
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The UI on Win is different than the UI on Mac. Mask with Shape on Windows can be found in the context menu – simply select two objects (one of them a basic shape like a rectangle, ellipse, or closed path), and then right click on the objects to find Mask with Shape.

-Elaine

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2018 3
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I did it. But can you explain why in windows we don't have other menus (edit, file, object, etc.)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2018 2
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XD conforms to UWP design patterns, which means that there is no top level menu, and the File info is under the hamburger menu on the upper left.

Hope that helps!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this UWP you are going for can't be the right decision. Just go back to how you have always done it, there still isn't any object menu nor edit or file when I am using this program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2018 4
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great that UWP is the scheme for the moment . . .  I'm not a full-time designer, still relatively new to design and use a mouse and keyboard.

After all this time, there is no way to add a top menu in the Windows version to choose as an option?  Really, the design team couldn't think of a way to do this?  The answer is to blame Microsoft? Good design is not a plan based on a trend. Nor is good design the act of making an excuse for bad design because the default setting of the platform being used doesn't have a feature that meets the needs of customers.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't one reason a software company has developers is that they can modify or add to the core product those features that maximize the experience for the customer?   

I originally chose Xd because I generally have a high opinion of Adobe. However, Xd is way to frustrating to use.  There are so many other alternatives out there for wireframes and prototyping that also allow for importing of assets that the need for an Adobe-related product is not really that high.   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2018 7
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Carlt,

I'm relatively new with these whole Adobe things and I've been doing a lot of reading and digging so pardon my lack of knowledge but would you mind providing me with other alternatives to XD that are user-friendly. Clearly, Adobe lacks any time of vision or respect for its customers and I'm just done with this frustrated feeling that Adobe is always trying to push consumers into using and buying the overpriced and limited Mac hardware. I don't care that Microsoft is pushing people and developers to use their touch UI crap as all of the other software's of Adobe have the top menu bar with the "edit, object..." options. WHAT IS SO DIFFERENT ABOUT THIS ONE FOR NOT HAVING IT?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2018 5
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hamburger menu doesn't have any of the settings you are speaking about, can you provide a photo from a windows machine that includes proof and clear indications that all those edits are available there?

Clearly, Adobe lacks any time of vision or respect for its customers and I'm just done with this frustrated feeling that Adobe is always trying to push consumers into using and buying the overpriced and limited Mac hardware. I don't care that Microsoft is pushing people and developers to use their touch UI crap as all of the other software's of Adobe have the top menu bar with the "edit, object..." options. WHAT IS SO DIFFERENT ABOUT THIS ONE FOR NOT HAVING IT?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi forwindows,

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to suggest specific tools on this page.  I simply did a search a few months back for free or inexpensive wireframe tools. Take a look to see what works best for what you are trying to accomplish.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, is this going to change anytime soon? It's been over a year

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old post and since then, it has been solved. I found that because the time I posted this, the application was still in beta testing and this was an issue with it then.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi henryyjjames,

I'm not sure what you mean the issues are resolved.  I am Windows user and when I access XD CC, I see neither a top menu nor do I see a menu. Also, the hamburger menu has none of the menu items described and I don't see Object, Edit, View, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2018 5
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe if you're listening: I feel like the solution would be to do what Firefox does.  Hitting "Alt" toggles the traditional menu on and off at the top.

Sometimes we users get frustrated trying to dig for something when there's a time crunch.  It's often a better experience to fall back on muscle memory in these cases, so please consider this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox, Safari, and IE 11, all can use the Alt trick to show the menu bar, but more recent apps like Edge or Chrome can't work that way. Here's a long thread begging for a menu bar in Edge:

Displaying Menu Bar in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Community

If you can find a solution for showing a menu bar in either Chrome or Edge, maybe the same thing could work for XD. But if it's a hard enough challenge that neither Google or Microsoft can provide a solution, maybe it will be hard for Adobe too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, although that thread is from 2015 and the newest overhaul of Firefox (Quantum) was released less than year ago.  It does the Alt trick just fine.  If Mozilla can do it, I have faith in Adobe.  I think the issue here is probably a matter of design vs "can we do it", but it seems like the best of both worlds to be able to toggle the menu.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I started working on XD on a windows system, I have noticed there is no top menu except the blank space.

can someone help me how to enable the top menu for Adobe XD.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2019 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Prasadv,

Could you please check the Hamburger menu on the top right corner? Please update this discussion in case you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Atul,

Thanks for your reply.

I am talking about the top menu bar which shows File, Edit, Object, View, Window, and help, refer below screenshot from one of tutorial video from Adobe site.

I don't see this menu on my windows system, it has an empty place instead of the menu.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2019 3
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prasadv, that is specific for windows and it is like this by design, please check Elaine comment mentioned here for some more details about it: - menu – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is not showing up in the hamburger for me either.  not sure what to do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2019 1
Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anitadhe, What specifically is not showing up in the hamburger menu?

Only File functions such as open, export, etc show in the hamburger menu. For other features look in the following places:

• The Property Inspector on the right
  • When the correct element(s) are selected, Right-Click on them and look in the Right-Click menu.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The open, export, etc are missing from the Hamburger menu.  I understand UWP app design but core items are not showing up anywhere not even in the Hamburger or anywhere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2020 1
Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having only a hamburger menu is the Windows UWP design paradigm that Adobe has chosen to use. You can ready more in their response here. Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on Windows. The hamburger menu is missing the edit, object, and view menu options. When I right click on different objects, there is NO right click menu. I used to have these menus before I upgraded to the latest version. What happened?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2019 1
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have replied to your similar query here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/Adobe-XD/What-File-Edit-and-Object-options-missing/m-p/8806328#M968. Please let us know if that helps. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is the Hamburger menu is missing items.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for me too.   its not there for me either. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what? there is no solution for windows users?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

XD Keep on developing it's UI. For windows, user you will find all the menu items under Hambuger menu. Please see attached image below.

Menu XD.png

Please let me know if that answers your question. I would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 0
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harshika's image is a splendid example why this whole paradigm of "ditching the menu bar" (and swapping it for a measly hamburger menu) is a BAD IDEA !! You simply can't fit a growing array of commands in one stupid hamburger. The Windows screen isn't always tall enough to display all featured menus ! The cost per action (to access a certain command) increases enormously by this stupid menu. 

As a matter of fact, Adobe noticed that problem already about 30 years ago, when screens were not wide enough to accomodate all menubar items. So that's when Adobe came up with floating panels and (later on) the less obvious side menus. Now they try to ditch the floating panels and menubar paradigm, and get stuck in a vertical hamburger menu (on Windows).

We're full cycle, after 30 years... 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2020 7
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pure trash. I can't even turn on the guides or the rulers or anything from this new menu bar. Basically unless you know the shortcuts for everything there is no way to do simple things anymore. The best part is that i can't even access settings to looks those shortcuts up or change them or do anything really. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 6
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but it's a bad design. Can you please suggest if there is any way to get back those top menu bar, if yes, how?

Regards.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 0
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid Adobe is keen on following the new Windows paradigm,

though you won't hear me applaud that idea or their current execution !

One general idea of UWP is to get rid of the application window and menus, and let software appear more like apps on mobile devices. So you're entering and working in document views and leaving states, which are automatically retained and saved in cloud-based documents. That's also why there's no Close command in the menu on Windows, and why (according to Windows and Adobe) you shouldn't bother about saving files. In a perfect world, this might work.

And in a not-so-perfect world, internet access isn't always available or as stable, so files are unavailable or get corrupted, authentication goes astray, and work is lost. And when a cloud-based file is closed (by hitting X), it doesn't retain its Undo and I'm stuck with a version which isn't always what I'd like to keep. These are just a few of the problems I've run into with UWP on Windows and cloud-based files (on Mac as well).

Usage on mobile devices is often restricted to quick and dirty tasks. For the real power-lifting and handling multiple projects, I want to be able to know the exact where-abouts and saved states of my files, and have the guarantee that no work will be lost. That's something Adobe XD doesn't deliver, yet. And the need for doing heavy-duty work, is something which isn't distinguished and facilitated enough in most of these 'hybrid' tools and environments. Once they start to grow and users are getting more more demanding, many of these quick and dirty mobile paradigms break...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020 5
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the dumbest interface change I have ever seen. Just takes functionality away. Remember this is a B2B!!!! service. I need tools!!!! This isn't a B2C UI decision. This just adds further confusion. AWFUL.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 4
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry for the inconvenience. I understand how frustrating it could be. I will share this feedback with the engineering team and you can do that too by upvoting this request: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/18478660-full-feat...

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases. 

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm honestly quite shocked with the disrespect shown for the users! I was happy to learn this new program when i started to notice the discrepancies   between my interface and the tutorials I was following. I'm drooping this right now  and looking for a better solution.    And whoever is making the decisions here is not having anyone best interest in mind but they own twisted business inclinations! Hoping for better days!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2019 4