• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What retina monitor display resolution are you all using?

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi my client is designing sites using xd on a 5k retina display at like 5400dpi. All of her designs when they send them over are HUGE because the resolution on her screen is I think 5k. On my windows machine I am doing work at a 1920x1080 so everything she sends me is HUGE.

They are using the standard xd board size of 1920 or so and things fit but scaling is strange.

Any thoughts on this please?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

The iMac 5K screen resolution is a Retina (hi-res) 2560 x 1440 when it comes to coding in a webpage. That is a large monitor that your average web viewer does not have. Web designers should not design to their own screen, but rather the average screen of users.

I usually start with a 1280px or 1440px wide design because that's the range of many average desktop/laptop users. I find it easier to add to a larger screen than taking away to fit smaller screens. If the design works on a small screen,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gdognight,

Could you please ask them to try 1280x800 and 1366x768  and check if they are appearing fine on various displays? I have created a sample file on a 5K screen for review: - https://xd.adobe.com/view/d2b89518-27e8-4ba8-6002-cb2eccc1ab6d-a489/. Could you please check if this opening fine on your screen? This is 1920x1080 size artboard.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to what Atul said, the monitor resolution does not affect the file size. If you are creating a graphic for a higher resolution monitor, there is an increase in file size.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi its not file size its how it looks. They are designing at that resolution so everything is tiny but when they send to me everything looks much bigger.

Gary L. Wells

Managing Director

Webmaster Services Hawaii

<http://www.webmasterserviceshawaii.com> http://www.webmasterserviceshawaii.com

<mailto:gwells@webmasterserviceshawaii.com> gwells@webmasterserviceshawaii.com

808-330-5506

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please share the link of the prototype in a private message so that we can have a better understanding of the situation?

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The iMac 5K screen resolution is a Retina (hi-res) 2560 x 1440 when it comes to coding in a webpage. That is a large monitor that your average web viewer does not have. Web designers should not design to their own screen, but rather the average screen of users.

I usually start with a 1280px or 1440px wide design because that's the range of many average desktop/laptop users. I find it easier to add to a larger screen than taking away to fit smaller screens. If the design works on a small screen, it can scale up to larger ones. If the designer is designing for a 2560 wide screen, it might not work well on a small screen.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines