• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe, why is this so difficult?

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious because the process of getting an AIR app on the app store is a train wreck...

• Have you ever tried to debug in the iOS Simulator?
  • Have you tried to create a simple app and submitted it for all devices without any problems?
  • Could you watch someone finish with the process without opening up the browser in confusion? I doubt it...

Everything about the process in unintuitive with errors that just read: "Invalid Input". It's a shame because AS3 is easy to make something but nearly impossible to actually get something up on the app store.

Every SDK has more problems associated with it. Your constantly hunting for obscure workarounds. Why on earth is it so hard to do anything? Has the team considered to clean this process up at all?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? It's really simple. There are bunch of useless managers in Adobe.

You know what? Let them bankrupt. All their products sux and the train is far - far away.

Unity / Sketch ftw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an actual (specific) question here, or just a general complaint? This forum is also monitored by non-Adobe community professionals, and we are here to help. If we can...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That phrase read like there are non-'adobe community professionals' here. There are many Adobe Community Professionals here to help. All of those are non-Adobe. Some Adobe staff do drop by too, and we (the aforementioned ACPs) are able to ask Adobe staff to take a look at problems that only Adobe can solve.

It is true to say that sometimes submitting an app is the hardest part of developing an app. I have done each of the things you asked about (I've worked on 19 AIR apps in the various app stores). That isn't to say that the latest version of AIR might not have a new problem I haven't seen. But for the moment, can you give more details about problems you've had?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think the simulator really has any priorities for Adobe. I for one have never used it, we directly test on the devices. Yes the process for uploading to the devices and app store is difficult, especially on iPhones, but I would blame Apple for this, not Adobe. The first time was really hard for me as well, but once you get used to it it's fine. Always keep in mind your competitors have to go through the same process, complaining won't give you any edge. Just keep going.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying that Colin, not my best phrasing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed the app store upload is so, so annoying. First off you cant just hand them the app without a mac, so silly.

Anyway thats apple, not adobes fault. Just look at the Android certificate creation/upload. Easy.

I actually keep notes written down for when i have to upload a build to apple again. Yes it is a chore no doubt.

As for simulator. I just use flash develop to "simulate" and real devices for all testing. Why bother with a simulator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep first time on app store is a pita but then it gets easy. It doesn't bother me anymore.

We all finally went through this so there is no reason you can't make it.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some context: I have two games up in the app store.

People defending the current situation is pathetic. I like how all of you are just saying: "Yeah, It's extremely difficult and you just need to figure it out but once you do, it's easy!". No... that's not how the development process should be. You wonder why there's less than 100 people active in this forum...

It frustrates me that Adobe could of made AIR more popular amongst game devs. It's their execution of it and lack of user presentation that is infuriating. Adobe doesn't understand the big picture. You could be saying: Hey, we did a huge update on making games with AS3 for iPhone/Andorid and made it super easy and painless now. Show the process and people would be flocking back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone mentioned before it's more an Apple problem. Android app is easy tu publish so you get the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sure are drinking the Adobe haterade. It might take a day or two to figure out and set up/automate. Once that's done, can't you carry over like 99% of the process to your next project?

"AIR for iOS is dead..."

"Adobe, why is this so difficult?"

and coming soon...

"Adobe, nobody is downloading my app, you suck!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks you have some answers here:

https://discuss.as3lang.org/t/why-is-this-so-difficult/585

BTW I really think AIR is great, and Adobe should make it more known to the public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great resource malik79766761​ — sounds like some people need to do more research (or more homework) to make their AIR apps publish to the Apple App store less painful. Apple has a LOT of requirements (that is why iOS apps are often less buggy than Android — I've found).

This isn't a matter of Adobe AIR being an issue, publishing for each device has it's own set of potential hiccups. It is a matter of education, troubleshooting, writing good code, and understanding Apple's strict requirements.

Note: Don't blame a company for your game not being popular. Many people publish AIR apps to the Apple App Store without issue (everyday).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines