• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Air is Dead

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2013 Dec 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's face it guys. Air is Dead.  Look at the feature list for 4.0.  The pace of development and bug fixes have slowed to a crawl.

It's presented to us as a mobile development platform but you can't pick a video from the Gallery, read the Contacts database or Play a movie.  The forums are full of bugs and when Adobe rarely chimes in it's to ask us to vote.  Shouldn't you just fix bugs?

It's touted as a cross platform mobile environment but it's not listed in a single article comparing them.  No new developer in his right mind would program in Flash at this point. I did for ten years but I'm done. Tired of spending hours on bugs and workarounds.

I wish Adobe would spin out the two or three guys still working on it and open source it.  Maybe they could call themselves MacroMedia.

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 295 Replies 295
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will we have or not this time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anton,

That touches a bit another issue regarding AIR's marketing.

I also don't think I've seen this one in the gaming showcase on adobe's site, so I guess if you have a list of cool games out there you sould be updating more often as some of us want to use it as a guide when peaching projects to clients.

One clever thing Unity did was adding their logo in the games from their free version.

Do you think that giving an incentive to developers to add the AIR logo (or a new sexier ) in some of their apps would help people realise more that Flash and AIR is still around and kicking?

That goes two ways, I'm not waiting from Adobe to say, in my next mobile game I'm adding it (not sure yet if it's going to be as intrusive as a splash screen but maybe in the credits... I'm not advertising for free ).

In the end is all about the marketing and if I have one complaint for Adobe that is poor marketing in the most tough era for Flash and AIR devs.

We can build amazing casual games with only the half of the features AIR gives us but we need Adobe to make a bold statement outside our circles that Flash and AIR are here to stay so that clients are not scared away the first time they meet another HTML5 prophet.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What else do you want him to tell you?

Everyone at Adobe except the AIR/Flash team is saying they have pulled the plug.

And every aspect of the technology hints exactly this.

We don't want him to "tell" us anything. We want proofs.

And no, a 10 bullet points list is not even remotely close to a proof.

so supporting Agal 2.0 + rectangle textures + UDP = nothing for you? Okkaayy....

For a startup indie platform yeah it's pretty cool. For Adobe and a platform used by hundreds of thousands of developers - if not millions - that's not so big no.

Let's break it down:

Final release of iOS packaging time reduction

Nice. But not an actual new feature. Will not impact performances nor change what you actually do with the platform.

Flash Player – Chrome debugger

What does that even mean?

Don't we have Scout already? Why don't have some work on that instead?

AIR – Concurrency for iOS

That's a great feature indeed. For real.

AIR – Gamepad support for iOS 7

Not going to change much for 99% users/developers...

AIR – Game marketing and discovery

What does that even mean?

Stage3D – AGAL 2.0 support

Developers are hardly using AGAL 1 at 100%.

The new features in AGAL 2 are either:

• emulated already using workarounds;
  • very specific features that will not affect what most developers/users do with the platform

And don't tell me that the "framework guys" will know how to use it. I'm one of those framework guys, I'll know how to use it and I'm telling you appart from really cool experiments and proof of concepts the final users will stay away from it in most cases.

Only AAA games will use those features. And AAA gaming company are moving away from Flash/AIR because, yes, a single interesting feature in a year is not really a good sign.

Stage3D – Support for multiple render targets

Not on mobiles, since bad render to texture performance on mobile make it impossible to use even  single render target on most devices.

Where it's available, it will make it possible to do neat things like deferred rendering.

But most developers/users are not concerned, only 3D AAA games and there ain't so many with Flash/AIR already.

It won't change your world.

Stage3D – Anti-Aliasing for render textures

That's a 2 years old feature request too...

It can already be emulated using modern AA techniques, which are also much faster anyway.

So it's not that useful IMHO.

Stage3D – New texture wrapping modes

Not a major feature.

Supplementary character enhancement support for the TextField control

Do I really have to talk about this one?

In the end, that's two good features. Two features for the Adobe multiple-billion dollars company.

And you say it still doesn't give away somekind of "lack of interest"?

Adobe can say whatever they want. Anyone else can keep saying the exact opposite.

What matters in the end are the facts. And the facts are the Flash/AIR platform is not being endorsed by Adobe.

And please don't start calling me a hater for saying this: I've been doing Flash/AIR for free and open source for 8 years...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to close this topic because some bad guys come to our home and begin telling us how we must live in our home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(customers, please)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jean-Marc and his team created one of the greatest 3d frameworks that was possible with flash and grew tired of the lack of response and interaction from Adobe. Adobe should have embraced them and their tools and leveraged it to strengthen the platform, instead they sit there silently as the world continues to bash on flash. Adobe keeps telling us how they value developers and the community, yet they continually fail to be coaxed out on social media. Please understand Jean-Marc's comments come out of frustration from banging their heads against the wall trying to do something good for Flash and the community and not getting any recognition or encouragement from the people who can make a change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you already have a 3d engine already ported to other technologies (C ++, html5, etc), and you feel comfortable with them, doesn't make much sense at this point to complain about Flash technology.

So you're basically saying that, even after working 8 years on our Flash 3D engine, then rewriting all of it (and a lot more) with another technology because Flash/AIR started to suck and no one at Adobe listen to us, our experience is not relevant?

The very problem we faced, the lack of solution from Adobe and how we had to do incredible efforts to move on are actually a good example of what too many developers face right now...

We did not drop Flash. We're still trying to get it working despite the lack of traction. But we're still getting no word from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean is that sometimes you have to make difficult decisions. If Adobe do not respond in your case, maybe you have to stop supporting Flash, if necessary features for your business requires it. Be practical. That's what I meant.

For me the problem is with Adobe, but only partially. The problem is the entire industry and its movement to other technologies. I imagine that Adobe investors will not want to hear the word "Flash" if the whole world is talking about html5, and so I can imagine that within Adobe, there will be a few internal wars.

It is not just the responsibility of Adobe, but the entire industry worldwide without providing prior to any movement, an alternative to Flash technology.

It's everybody's fault. All major companies involved are complicating life for developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be Adobe can't tell you more than allowed by internal rules that was come from top managers or vice-president?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me [..] It is not just the responsibility of Adobe, but the entire industry worldwide without providing prior to any movement, an alternative to Flashtechnology

this is not true (responsability). innovation is innovation and innovators are innovators (in most of the cases the life for innovators is not simple but can be full of satisfaction). Adobe 'has troubles' because flash is the best closed clientside platform in town.. in the planet (and I would go on keeping it closed of course).

in case of 'internal wars', if I would have the possibility, I would call a spin-off of the Flash technology (but we are now speaking as being Adobe and it is not good any more).

Goodbye.

mc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the frustration of developers who work or who have worked with Flash / AIR, but I think it is better to be more practical.

If you already have a 3d engine already ported to other technologies (C ++, html5, etc), and you feel comfortable with them, doesn't make much sense at this point to complain about Flash technology.

There are developers who continue to work with the technology so for them it remains useful, and there are other developers who have left for other technologies that are more useful for their projects.

On the other hand, agree that there is not a commitment to long-term (10 years?) future on important (major) characteristics (eg new virtual machine, windows 8 mobile, other new platforms, etc), but Adobe itself has shown that technology continues to update the exact points that they talked about, since 1 year ago (aprox).

I think it's as simple as that. No need to complicate life more. What Adobe should do otherwise?. Should they say directly that Flash / AIR has no future?. Does that solve anything in the current situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep reading this thread despite the fact that there won't be any clear answer or conclusion.

But I must say that there are a few very clear and adequate questions being asked with no response to them. 72Pantera, Jean-Marc and even Joseph Labreque asked a few important things not being answered. Everybody else are just playing some childish game of "I'm right, and you're not".

I truly agree, that this ten pointed roadmap is not enough. Jean-Marc talked through it very clearly and I praise him for that.

Having concurrency for iOS is a must, since now you can't really port your code cross platform - you must think of the core as not all features are available for all platforms. I think it's honest to say that this "great new features" is the fix for the half-baked one provided early on. It's something like the Stage3D, that has tons of limitations that people ask to be fixed.

And I have to be honest - I think that Adobe are trying to fake productivity with things like "Supplementary character enhancement support for the TextField control". Instead, I would LOVE to switch Stage3D and StageVideo, please!

I my opinion, that's the real problem and that's what the discussion is about - the great features/fixes that are neaded are dropped, and new improvements are done instead. I would love Adobe to spend one year in development to support publishing on Windows 8, instead of releasing packaging reduction for iOS (thank you for saving me those 4 minutes for product build, it's almost the same as I can build build on more platforms).

I think Adobe are just improving some of the old and not well working features, instead of providing new ones. I still need NativeExtensions for 80% of the mobile things I need, and the other 20% have real issues.

I know you're saying "stop complaining as you've got workaround - just make those extensions!". But thank you, I would love to stick to AS development and not learn new languages nor hire people to develop what is needed. It's a workaround, yes, but I started wondering if it's worth enough.

Adobe stuff, please answer Joseph's and Jean-Marc's questions. That would be the real client communication you are talking about, and all the "trust us we work alot", and "I work for Adobe for 18 years" is just dust in the eyes. Answer those questions so we can sleep tight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will not answer anything new. Although I would like them to clarify whether in their plans is what you comment on Stage3D + StageVideo integration. What I think is a key feature for the technology, and only Adobe could undertake within the runtime.

They have already said they will continue to update the technology during the year, particularly with what they specify in all these points.

If you have followed the developments over the past year, you will realize that Adobe has done what they said, and some other things. For example something they had not specified in the initial points of 2013, and it was 4096x4096 textures. Something important to everyone. And they added this feature, in addition to those originally named.

By this I mean that it is logical to think that Adobe will undertake all those points and maybe some others, but can not commit to say that they will do certain other things.

I think the ANE's are a very good idea for the community to extend Flash (they are similar to the Xtras in Director). While it would be nice that AIR got by default some functionality of these ANE 's, I think it is much more important that Adobe to focus on improving the runtime where ANE's can not solve a problem. And that is I think what they are doing.

In short. The answers would be something like:

1) Will Adobe continue to evolve the runtime ?.

Yes, as Adobe has shown last year.

2) Can Adobe commit to move faster in the runtimes?.

No. The resources for the technology are scarce.

3) Can Adobe commit to advance the runtime with major features, as a new virtual machine, support new operating systems ( Windows 8 mobile) , etc..?

No. Again, resources are scarce. This does not mean that at any given time can address some of them, but there seems not to be this year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I think that Adobe will continue developing the platform and indeed the key question is how much and how quick.

I think that the only way we can expect major changes in that is if for any reason the mindset around AIR changes and more companies and people support it.

It's a bit like the chicken and the egg, should companies support and evangelise AIR in good faith or should Adobe boldly risk some money for development and marketing? IMHO for big corporations as Adobe it should be the latter.

Regarding the ANEs, I honestly can't see which functionality could go in the core of AIR. I mean how would they prioritise what to include and what not? I might use the gyroscope in every app I make but the other fella might only need camera roll access which I never need for instance...

If they finaly put all of this functionality in the AIR core and Apple decides to make X change and Android Y change we would have to wait until the next AIR release to have those changes, now the vendors of ANEs react much faster to those changes and if they fail we can build or outsource the development of the ANEs. When spending money for ANEs (I never needed to yet) just consider how much money the Untity devs spend in the assets store for plugins without complaining... no one asks from Unity to cover all that in the core of their technology and no one should imo.

To me it makes no sense to have a heavyweight core for AIR, I like more the modularity that gives me the choice. Maybe what's missing is more of Adobe's contribution to the ANEs market (even paid ones).

But in anycase I think that what we all get is that indeed resources are scarce . On the bright side maybe by the time Adobe stops supporting AIR, some other technology (maybe HTML5 at that point with ES5) is as mature and the transition would be almost seamless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"On the bright side maybe by the time stops supporting Adobe AIR, some other technology ( HTML5 maybe one at that point with ES5 ) is as mature and the transition would be almost seamless . "

Rather it is the opposite. Adobe seems to be waiting ( and stretching  the lifetime of the Flash technology ) until browser technologies have exactly the same benefits of their Flash Player / AIR. If that time comes, "maybe" they pull the plug. I dont think they will abandon Flash development before this (possible) moment.

The problem I see with this is that although the industry sell us WebGL, I dont quite see the time when consistency, speed of expansion in the market for new features (*), agility and development workflow, could be reaching the same level of Flash. Since html5 it is being based on "standards", different browsers and different manufacturers exist ( VMs ), there will always be consistency problems.

What I mean is that I do not know (nobody knows, including Adobe) when that time will come. Or if we will ever be able to enjoy again something so powerfull and consistent at the same time, with browser based technologies.

Of course, from my point of view is infinitely better business model in which there is a single virtual machine, a single language and a number of development environments.

All this mess to make a "standard" language, and then each different manufacturers develop their own virtual machine has no head or tail. This is not a pragmatic business model. Not for multimedia development, which is what Flash and its ecosystem is valid for.

(*) Remember that it is not just that the standards may be slow to incorporate new features, but the population takes a long time (years) to have the required version to enable developers the possible use of "x" feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if your post were from Adobe for me it would been better.

Thank you to all of you guys for your inputs. For me that's really all, now I have my big picture on ADB-Flash updated.

> Not for multimedia development, which is what Flash and its ecosystem is valid for.

(nb not multimedia. clientside software development and multimedia)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do people keep posting in this thread?

Adobe guys came by and replied, "flash not dead, because we have some air apps in app stores". Do you expect them to change this statement just because you don't agree with it? Or maybe you think some big guy at Adobe gets to read your post and be like "jesus, this guy is right, we need to throw more money at flash"? Neither is going to happen. Just stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this statement:

"that used to make this forum? anyone who reads this forum could do something."

is comparable to:

"if you do not want to use Flash do not use Flash if you want to use then use it."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think adobe should make a serious explanation about Flash Runtime.

AIR should not die..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2014 Mar 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what Mike Chambers said over a year ago:

Yeah, I hear you. AIR could be great as a general app platform for mobile (although I think that would require a LOT of work on the framework side), but Adobe has made the decision that this is an area where they feel it is not the best use of it’s resources (and is one of the primary reasons we pulled back from Flex over a year ago).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has answered the question - they are happy to keep taking subscription dollars, they are just not willing to reinvest any of them on advancing the tools.  Air is Dead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish Adobe would do the same with Air as they did with Flex - transfer the ownership to a respectable Open Source foundation. I understand that the revenue from Photoshop dwarfs the revenue generated from Adobe Air products, and that Adobe just isn't interested in supporting Air in the way it deserves. Please Adobe, allow Air to have a new life with the people who love it and will continue to care for it. This is important to us, and is not just about a technology product - it's a way of life, a culture, and an ethos.

Steve Warren

Senior Software Developer

www.speakaboos.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe = bad merge. killed Macromedia efforts on web/software innovation.

<bestemmie>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2014 May 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

I would like to share my humble opinion and experience with you related the topic. I'm working with flash and actionscript for the last 10 years. I've done everything from simple banner animations to complex websites and games. I've had a lot of trouble in some cases as most of you of course but I've grown to love the platform very very much. So as expected when I read the posts about the death of flash some years ago I was devastated. Until I read what was the case exactly... Adobe have stopped the support the support for mobile browsers for the flash player... I was like 'Who cares???'. Nobody was doing flash for mobile anyway. At the point the AIR platform was already on its way to mobile and that's where I was looking at. So I didn't really paid much attention to the 'death' news and kept digging and working with Adobe AIR. At first I had some worries about the performance. It was terrible and I really had my doubts about the future of flash. Then Stage3D appeared (not without a huge effort from Adobe as you might imagine) and the sun was shining again. Then Starling and Feathers came and some other VERY WELL maintained frameworks. So I've started playing with it. We even got an order to create an Android version of one of their games (not very complicated but lots of animations and gestures). We did it in AIR. The result was a perfectly running game with amazing performance on every device we have tested it on. What was interesting for me was to give the client the iOS version from our AIR build and compare it to their native one - the game was running so much smoother nobody could believe it. Of course the native app was not very well created and such but the point still stands. Since that moment we have started doing most of our mobile business apps and games on AIR. We do have some native apps because of clients requests but still I see no point in that. Currently we have three very big games close to release that are completely created on AIR + Native Extensions. All of them will be release at the same time for iOS phones and tablets, Android phones and tablets and Web in a single code base with some compiler conditions in the different modules. There were some problems and some bugs on various devices but nothing so far we couldn't overcome will a bit of brainstorming and some well planned coding. There is NO SINGLE FEATURE to this point of the development that we couldn't do. Nothing seen on other games cannot be done. We have in-app payments, social integration, tons of animations, amazing graphics, great particle effects and lots more. The memory management was tricky but not impossible. The game currently runs pretty well even on iPhone 3GS... I promise to share the games as soon as they are release in the next few weeks so you can understand my point completely.

So to generalize my point of view here:

1. AIR is far from dead because at the moment it's one of the best cross platform technologies especially for games.

2. It is true that the last few updates of the platform were not something spectacular but they fixed some problematic limitations and gave us a much more stable framework. The truth is at the moment there's not THAT MUCH stuff to add. There are missing features and problematic stuff (like the video playback for certain formats) but there are ways to make them work very well even now. There's nothing extremely new to the native sdks too. No big new features that someone would NEED in their app. And if there is a simple native extension is a much faster approach then doing the app/game in three different languages.

3. On the Flash side - for games flash is the KING and that's a fact. There are literally millions of flash games on the market and every new game we see on facebook or other gaming sites is Flash. Yeah I have seen Angry Birds done in HTML5. But there are few people in the world who can do that kind of HTML5.

4. There are some features in an app or a game that are times easier to be done in AIR than native. I have knowledge and experience in both Objective-C and Java and I have done some nice stuff there but there were moments I would have killed myself over something that would take me hours to do native but I could have done for 10 minutes in AIR.

5. ALTERNATIVES:

- Native - much slower, can't really see why I should choose it unless the whole app I have to make is build on extremely native functionalities. For iOS I would need to by a Mac machine.

- Unity - great platform I would say. BUT for 3D and for big GAMES. To create a small 2D game with Unity instead of Flash would take much more time and nerves. It is paid.

- Titanium - good for small business apps that have nothing unusual. It is extremely ease to use for this type of projects and a great alternative. But for something more complicated you'll get stuck. There are limitations that won't allow you to make anything you want to. Also not very good for games. As far as I remember - it's free.

- Corona - I don't have any experience with this one but as far as I have read pretty much the same case as Titanium.

- HTML5 - for me to say that HTML5 is anything close to AIR is a complete joke. This is my opinion. It is great for new interactive and interesting animated websites for all platforms. And that's about it. It has major performance issues. It's impossible to make anything work fine on every possible device, browser and OS. Even if you do it will take weeks and huge amount of cheating in the code with tons of if/else statements for each platform. Creating big complicated games with HTML5 is close to impossible for the regular developer and it is extremely hard to provide decent security, stability and bug free environment overall.

So at the end at that point Adobe AIR is the ultimate cross-platform solution for me. Of course that's my opinion and everyone is free to use whatever they want. But I just wanted to point the reasons I love the platform and why I'll keep using it for the years to come.

Have a great day you all and build amazing apps and games no matter what you use

Ico

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines