• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Air is Dead

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2013 Dec 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's face it guys. Air is Dead.  Look at the feature list for 4.0.  The pace of development and bug fixes have slowed to a crawl.

It's presented to us as a mobile development platform but you can't pick a video from the Gallery, read the Contacts database or Play a movie.  The forums are full of bugs and when Adobe rarely chimes in it's to ask us to vote.  Shouldn't you just fix bugs?

It's touted as a cross platform mobile environment but it's not listed in a single article comparing them.  No new developer in his right mind would program in Flash at this point. I did for ten years but I'm done. Tired of spending hours on bugs and workarounds.

I wish Adobe would spin out the two or three guys still working on it and open source it.  Maybe they could call themselves MacroMedia.

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 295 Replies 295
Advocate ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pantera are you asking me to ban you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pantera are you asking me to ban you?

keep calm.

Adobe guys, please answer to posts: 102, 103, 104.. and 97. thank you.

mc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same old stuff from the troll.

You can't integrate to the Contacts, Email or Notification system on the 2 billion smartphones in the world

Ive wrote AIR apps that can do all those things, how? Yes same answer people gave you weeks ago, Native Extensions.

End of the day guys, if you want to use AIR, use it! If you dont, then dont!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Phil and you can do anything you want in Visual Basic using DLLs and anything in the engineering world with duct tape. That doesn't negate the fact that Adobe has abandoned Flash and Air.  You've read the 2014 RoadMap. Is that the development schedule of a growing mobile platform?

Your claim of using the components I've listed as missing is constructive.  You're telling people to use Air or don't is not. I do use Air and I have opinions about it and its future.

In the software world you're either growing or fading. We can trade barbs all day.  What would shed light on this debate is Chris publishing an Adobe Flash development headcount over the last five years. Yes, it's still afloat but we're rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will be waiting a long time for a number of engineers working on a platform. Does that make it dead? Do Apple publish how many people they have working on iOS? Do Unity poublish how many people are working on it? In fact does anyone? No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ou will be waiting a long time for a number of engineers working on a platform. Does that make it dead? Do Apple publish how many people they have working on iOS? Do Unity poublish how many people are working on it? In fact does anyone? No.

Actually I just did.

And I also explained that our 7 people team re-created our "own Flash platform" with all the features the original misses because Adobe is slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry should have been clearer, I was referring to closed projects, not open source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry should have been clearer, I was referring to closed projects, not open source.

What does it change to anything? Plus the biggest part of Minko is the editor and the tools, which are closed source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesnt change anything, I was explaining why he will never get an answer to the question he asks everytime an Adobe employee posts. Companies dont disclose that information, never have done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil, are you really arguing that Adobe are investing heavily in Flash and Air? That it's a strategic platform for them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im saying that none of us will ever know how many people they have working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you really arguing that Adobe are investing heavily in Flash and Air? That it's a strategic platform for them?

can Adobe confirm this? so simple and clear question.

it's clear we all want to know this. (we all.. how plans real investments on the Flash framework)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, Adobe continues to invest in Flash Player + AIR. They keep adding features every few months, and deliver what they promise for a year now. Although it is true that Adobe now became very careful not to promise too much 🙂

But, are they investing in the "strongly" in the Platform?. Obviously not. At least not enough. No need to explain to anyone why. We all know.

The two things are certain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although it is true that Adobe now became very careful not to promise too much 🙂

( )

if somebody do not answer to my post #97 showing me I'm in wrong probably I'm going to stop rising money for my long-term project till I have a full working alpha of my product (and this is a bad choice for my life.. I will not do it with other clientside technology (webrtc? please..) so I must change my life plans, working at my product in the spare time after 2001-2011 of fulltime Flash/WIMS production - yes I have spent last 2 years in thy jungle.. so sad, today I'm 40.5). At the same time I think Adobe must be careful not showing their muscles with a real-life working and robust communicator application; marketplace which is not a game [platform].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

come on, we all know that adobe flash has thrown down the toilet, along with our skills

Some realize it, others read 10 points a roadmap for housewives.

But I would like to ask a question, just one!

What they have in common Steave Jobs and Adobe AIR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you really arguing that Adobe are investing heavily in Flash and Air? That it's a strategic platform for them?

can Adobe confirm this? so simple and clear question.

From the end of Chris' post a few hours ago:

We appreciate your feedback and passion for the Flash runtime and we are absolutely committed to moving Flash Player and AIR forward.

What else do you want him to tell you? I agree, that Adobe is lacking communication skills last years, for example Bill Howard (Flash runtime's PM)'s work is completely invisible out off Adobe office, but I still believe, that Adobe don't throw a towel into the ring. If you don't believe them, you will have to believe to someone else.

Ciao.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> What else do you want him to tell you?

> If you don't believe them, you will have to believe to someone else.

I believe, I believe them of course. This is not the issue.

My issue is that I have to start with tests and not with (beta) sales[1]. This is my bad issue (may be you all work for a company, I have mine one)

[1] if I could work with our loved old flash 6 [AS2 skipped except for a couple of minor thirdparty products till 2010 with great oop model even missing e.g. multipage printing] I would be able to start with sales at t0 + a week (and of course it is not a metter of AS3 complexity.. which for me is my clientside paradise)

mc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a closer look to this screenshot. Do you see BARDBARIAN there? Do you know that is Adobe Air game? And it's was featured by Apple! If you can't develop nice game - why you think is other can't do this as you?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeIiPuECQAE7gWs.png:large

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know that is Adobe Air game?

No I didn't. Does Adobe know?

And I think you missed the point: we didn't say you can't create great game/apps with AIR today.

We're saying it's not a good idea to do so since:

• it's getting increasingly difficult;
  • Adobe has stopped all major developments of AIR (that's how they say it themselves) but other platforms are doing just the opposite.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I didn't. Does Adobe know?

My dear friend! Adobe know much more than we think. What they must to do at now? Put Adobe Flash logo on the Moon?

As for me - I can't publish to all platforms that supported by Unity3D as example... But I know people who trying go to Consoles with Unity3D and they spend a lot of time (money) and still can't publish games there because reviewing team rejecting them. So they have Compile button but still can't publish. Cool, right?

Adobe has stopped all major developments of AIR

Lol so supporting Agal 2.0 + rectangle textures + UDP = nothing for you? Okkaayy....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My article about A New Era in Flash Platform

Also I want to add some words here. 3 billion flash player installs, sweet android and ios platform support! Wow guys! It's amazing!

I've done a lot of projects, demos and mobile applications, small and big, so Flash and Adobe Air works for me and my company really great. Thank you!

Flash API is really big! And each platform has issues, and it's ok, it's normal development process. Your job to report these bugs, to help your platform grow. if you want it of course.

Adobe is going step by step. You can check out the amount of work for a past year. It's super big and unbelievable! You must understand, 3 billion customers with installed Flash Player, each feature must be crossplatform, and need to be tested well and so on.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is not serious.. it is not serious by adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is a disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have not a decade of time. it is a disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will not work on a new product for only a couple of years or a bit more. it is not serious and it is a disaster.

(1 decade, 2 decades...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines