• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AIR4 Mac store submission: Deprecated API

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to submit my app to the Mac store (following the known steps).

Got this error back:

Deprecated API Usage - Apple no longer accepts submissions of apps that use QuickTime APIs.

I realize not many devs care about the Mac store, but are there any plans for a workaround?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And by "following the known steps" does that include removing the included WebKit.dylib before you codesign the .app for submittal?

I am pretty sure that QuickTime APIs rejection happens when you don't remore the WebKit.dylib before signing (as that is still a required step unfortunately)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5436613

Of course, that also means you can't use HTMLLoader or StageWebView in your app either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebKit.dylib was removed (I double-checked by using Show Package Contents), this rejection has to be something different...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thats not good news at all

I really thought the QuickTime API rejection was part of the WebKit.dylib issue as I thought that was the verbage when I first failed to remove it, but Apple removes all Resolution Center messages from past binary submissions so I can't even check that.

Ironically Chris Campbell even recently asked for samples of MAS AIR apps:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1386194

What AIR SDK version are you using for this submittal and are you using any ANEs as part of the app?

I know the recent AIR 4 beta on labs is all about meeting Apple's new iOS XCode 5 February 1st requirements, but I wonder if there is anything in this update that also forces any new compatibility with the MAS as well.

Only other place QuickTime API rejections come up on a Google search is for somone using a third party developer framework:

https://forum.xojo.com/7307-submiting-to-mac-app-store-and-getting-quicktime-api-error/100

Otherwise this is a pretty serious problem if the raw Mac AIR runtimes are facing new rejection issues for the MAS, my existing app on the MAS isn't due for a new update just yet so I won't know myself for a little while whether this is a new change for MAS when I go to update it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I compiled with AIR 4.0.0.1390

Not using any 3rd-party framework or ANE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, the new AIR 4 beta SDK on labs.adobe.com  made for proper iOS submissions is 4.0.0.1619, but the announcement was all about requirements for submitting iOS apps, no one mentioned so far about any new requirements on Mac App Store (even Apple). I'd only be guessing whether trying 1619 build would make any difference, but barring any news from anyone else with a fix, not sure what other options you have at the moment...

Unless someone has suggestions to try to track down what specific dylib or framework resource in your app is getting flagged as using the Quicktime API.  After removing the WebKit.dylib before signing the app there isn't a whole lot left...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're working on the Mac App store/QuickTime api issue too.  I'm hoping we'll have a beta with this change available for you shortly.  As far as I understand, the development has been done but our QE team is still validating the fix and verifying that we did not inject any bugs.

Sorry for the delay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 25, 2014 Feb 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it looks like this promised beta that addresses the deprecated QuickTime API is now out on labs.adobe.com:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6157345#6157345

Chris, even before this new Quicktime API issue, all past uses of AIR captive runtime for Mac App Store apps also required the removal of the internal WebKit.dylib as well.

I guess we should still assume that this is also still a required step as part of the Mac App Store submission process? Ie. this beta addresses a newly introduced deprecated Quicktime API issue, but hasn't also resolved the longstanding incompatibility with the WebKit.dylib binary and the Mac App Store right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This quicktime api issue is something different to the WebKit issue (and doesn't appear to be solved by the latest beta).  There appears to be an air runtime file inside the app pkg that uses QuickTime (and other) deprecated apis so my guess is that this is causing the issue. 

This has been around since (at least) December and has caught out other platforms (like the Unity engine judging by their forums, although it does appear to be fixed for them by now).

I had to change my sandboxing script a little bit with the new SDK as it also appears that some components that need signing have moved and this was causing more warnings during submission.  I have eventually got everything back down to just one error - QuickTime - if anyone else has had success doing a submission with the latest beta then let us know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

You are correct.  This is the beta that we hope has this resolved.  In addition, we do still require that you manually remove both the webkit and flash player components before submitting to the app store.  These instructions should still apply (at least the part about removing webkit/Flash Player).

http://helpx.stage.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/posting-air-app-mac-app.html

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmations. I've only ever had to remove the single WebKit.dylib file before codesigning and submitting successfully to the Mac App Store (using AIR 3.8) so I am not really familiar with steps to remove other 'flash player components' (unless these are new files in AIR 3.9 or 4.0?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris that link gives me access denied - can you check it is correct please?

I have only ever removed webkit before successfully submitting to the app store previously - if there is another step required to remove something else then it would be good to know about it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2014 Feb 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I repackaged my app and instead of signing Flash Player.plugin I simply removed it (along with webkit).  The app still seems to work so I submitted it to the app store and it is now waiting for approval!  The Quicktime issue has gone.

(If there is an official Adobe howto on how to do this then it would be great if we could link to it here - I have been using information pieced together from various posts on the web so it is quite possible there are steps that I am not doing, even though I have previously successfully put apps onto the store.  The definitive howto guide would be great).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2014 Feb 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm sorry about the broken link.  This was actually pointing to an internal staging help page, it appears we didn't push this live.  I'll rectify that today, though we might need to sanity check to see if the steps are still applicable.

I'm attaching a pdf of what the page should have looked like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found my own answer over in the release notes:

"With this release we've synchronized the AIR version number with Flash Player at version 13.”

Still a bit of a surprise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our official doc link is now live.  You can find this here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/posting-air-app-mac-app.html

@Colin - Sorry for the surprise.  I had this in a few places before we went live with AIR 4 (release notes, forum announcement threads and runtime roadmap) but I should have also made a sticky/announcement in this forum.

Going forward, you should expect an increment in the "major" version number once a quarter, and minor version number changes in-between quarterly releases (when necessary.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success! 

Mac app approved and live on the store today.  Thank you Chris and Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great to hear, thanks for the update!  I've passed this along to the team and we'll make sure to get this out in our official AIR 13 update (scheduled for April.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2014 Mar 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Does it means the flashplayer 13 will not reference the QTKit anymore so that it will match apple guidelines ? Because I just downloaded the beta and the references are still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines