Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animations in Mobile .apk Run Poorly

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
I published what amounts to an old flash game - in AIR for Android. There's some very complex animations living in this prototype, motion tweens, shape tweens, thousands of them. For every step of the way.

Is it normal for animations to run so poorly on a mobile experience? I have used some blending modes that I didn't think it would support.

Any suggestions here on how to save the file?
And if AIR doesn't run Animate CC's animations in an app, what is the right tool?

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make animations made in Animate run smoothly on mobile devices they need to be optimized.

Animating large or complex objects can lead to loss in frame rate. For my apps I use bitmaps and GPU mode, which works great. Also I use Greensock tweening class to do most animations, but timeline tweens works well, just avoid shape tweens which don't work with bitmaps anyways. And filters, like the blending modes you mention, could also affect performance.

Here's a thread on the topic that might be useful: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30008670/adobe-air-how-to-optimize-for-mobile 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great advice from Lars_Laborious above, just wanted to add that GPU render mode can also be great for vector content, so if you're using vector graphics for your animations you could always try switching it to GPU mode first and see if the performance improves for you with just that, before converting all of your clips to bitmaps (or selectively changing your more complex graphics to bitmaps as needed).

Also, be sure that you fully remove the Blend Modes from the clips in Animate for the best performance.  AIR won't be able to apply the blend modes anyway, but it does still cache the clip as a Bitmap when a blend mode is applied, which can lead to a performance drop if there's animation within that clip (re-caching that bitmap every frame).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines