• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any solution planned yet for upgrading WebKit / HTML engine in AIR 23?

Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solution planned yet for upgrading WebKit / HTML engine in AIR 23?

I know Chris mentioned they are looking into a few options and we would LOVE to have a solution from Adobe.

Regards,

Sean - http://DigitalSignage.com

MediaSignage.com, FREE Digital Signage for everyone!

5776-D Lindero Cyn Rd #182

Westlake Village, CA 91362

Phone: 1.877.DIG.SIGN (1-877-344-7446)

Fax: 1.818.337.0442

Live support: http://chat.digitalsignage.com

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While that is an excellent question, it should probably be kept to this thread so it stays alive and keeps peppering Chris with email notifications of a new reply to his thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly worth keeping both going, the other thread is about HTMLLoader, and layering displaylist content with web content, if I understand it right!

A different subject is whether StageWebView will get updated. Currently it uses UIWebView on iOS, it could instead use WKWebView. That does require iOS 8, and it is already available with ANEs. But it would be a nice option if Adobe's StageWebView could use the more modern web view component.

It dramatically fixes performance and memory issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin, have you played with AIR .22, seems video is horribly broken... very poor performance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a while since I used StageWebView to play video. I use StageVideo instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry let me explain, we are using StageVideo, and testing AIR .22 beta and seeing very poor performance.

basically video plays fine, but when something else happens at the same time ( like change an image in a diff stack) the video will jitter...

in AIR .20 we don't have that problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by stack? I've used StageVideo along with regular displaylist objects, and sure there are times when the video could stutter. Is it any different from AIR 21?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, in AIR 20/21 we play video and at the same time we change images in a different ViewStack and all is well...

in AIR 22, apperently a MAJOR change was put in place to support Android Video Pipeline (according to docs) and now, every time an image changes in a different ViewStack, the Video which is playing at the same time, stutters....

going back to 20 or 21, and no issues are present.

I want to make sure Adobe is aware of this while the build is in beta as this is a show stopper...!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would report it over here too then. This is where labs tells you to report bugs:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Some of the team will read your message here, but no harm in sending in a real bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported here:

Bug#4161877 - With current beta 22 when using Android Video, video will hang for a second when other...

is this sufficient?

I really want to make sure they are aware of this show stopper...

tx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the right place. You'll notice there's already a follow up question from the AIR team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current plan is for our engineering team to put together an ANE based on the Chromium embedded framework (CEF) and include a tutorial that helps developers understand how to implement this solution in their applications.  We'll start with that and gather feedback to see if it helps.  I'm hoping we can get to this later this summer, schedule permitting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, TX so much, really appreciate your support.

Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to help testing the new ANE

Regards,

Sean - http://DigitalSignage.com

MediaSignage.com, FREE Digital Signage for everyone!

5776-D Lindero Cyn Rd #182

Westlake Village, CA 91362

Phone: 1.877.DIG.SIGN (1-877-344-7446)

Fax: 1.818.337.0442

Live support: http://chat.digitalsignage.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking forward to it as well.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2016 Aug 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris, any news on this ANE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 29, 2016 Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None yet, it ended up being deferred for our September release (other items, like Apple TV, sucked up most of our time) but we've got it back on the list for the next major release. 

Please keep in mind that the ANE approach is experimental.  This might not solve everyone's problems, but we'd like to come up with alternatives and make the code public.  I'm hoping this is a starting point and progress can be made based on feedback once the community has had a chance to play around with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2016 Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news Chris, looking forward to the September release and will assist in testing and feedback for sure!!!

On a different note, we did find a major show stopper with Android video playback in latest release of AIR 22 (confirmed the problem does not exist in AIR 21). This seems to have happened due to the major video pipeline changes that took place with Android and AIR 22. The issue is currently being investigated by the Adobe team, you can see more here:

Bug#4161877 - With current beta 22 when using Android Video, video will hang for a second when other...

If you or someone from the team can get us an update on a fix for this, it would be truly appreciated,

regards,

Sean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have started to do an ANE for Chromium Embedded Framework. On Windows, I got it to work until the point where I pass the screen buffer to AIR (I'm using Off screen rendering). At this stage, it works fine, and it can display videos from youtube (or any other content..) and also works with WebRTC (this is the most important for me right now). I still don't have any interactions between AIR and the browser, but for my first usage, I don't need it.

However, when I tried to port it to MacOSX, although XCode compiles the project fine, and I can generate the ANE using the command line (120mb ane...)... When I try to run it on AIR I keep on receiving the error #3500, irrespective if its Debug or Release.

I tried to run from command line, as suggest Error #3500: The extension context does not have a method with name xxx
but it also gives the same Argument error 3500. So far I spent a couple of days looking at every post regarding the subject, and I have also checked a few other ANE projects to see if I could spot anything too far off, and I could not.

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with the MacOSX issue. I'm afraid its just a simple compilation setting or procedure I'm not aware of. I'm willing to donate the outcome of this effort to the community, if it will speed up the implementation of the "official ANE".

Please let me know how you would like to engage with me in such effort. Considering the file sizes and project complexities, I don't think its useful to paste little snippets, or partial code....but if desired, I can do so.

Best regards,

Leo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leo,

There is a trick that you may need when compiling the ANE for mac

See line 35/36 of my build script for a HelloWorld 64bit ANE for OSX

LibHelloWorldANE64-master/build.sh at master · tuarua/LibHelloWorldANE64-master · GitHub

You need to make a copy of the outputted framework (the ANE framework) and use -R -L flags.

eg

cp -R -L

I believe this strips symlinks which can cause the dreaded 3500 error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi el111,

I did that, still no go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris... Any update at all on this??? I've been checking every few days since since you mentioned September. Please please please please I'll be your best friend! We'll have to switch to PhoneGap and rebuild everything if not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here pleeeeeeeeeeeease give us an update

regards,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we are also waiting for this feature SINCE YEARS.  Any Update?  Air25?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris... it was the end of August when you gave us our last droplet of information regarding this subject. After so much time has passed, with repeated requests for just a drop of information, it seems reasonable for Adobe to give us some indication of where this stands.

Knowing when this might be available, whether a month from now, versus a year, two years, never; it helps in planning. Most people asking are probably not doing this as a hobby. Adobe does realize that, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines