• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

App gained 5MB on review, can't download via 3G.

Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya guys, our app went live this morning (woot!) and on the iTunes store it has bloated from 18.5MB to a no-thanks-on-3G 23.3MB.

I've downloaded the .ipa, unzipped it and compared it to our own submitted binary, and apart from a few hundred kb for their duplication of our itunes icon it's payload folder is the same size - 27.1 MB unzipped.

It looks like Apple has unzipped, added a tiny bit of filesize, but then zipped again at a low compression rate and left us with a file that users can't download on 3G, which was one of our client requirements.

Does anyone know if you can make a support request to Apple to re-apply the compression?

We're really pleased with the whole development process and how the AIR tools have worked out. If Adobe's compression is way out of line with that of Apple hopefully it can be fixed in the next version of AIR so we can get a sound estimate of how our App size will appear in the iTunes store and the whole thing will be perfect.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AIR 2.6 runtime system requirements:

iPod Touch 3rd & 4th generation iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SirDragoon, thanks for the help. I think you've misunderstood my question, though: by 3G, I'm referring to the broadband delivery technology, as in cellular download, not the iPhone model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think that the package needs to be like it is to make it easy for devices to get at the files, and for iTunes to read the artwork without unzipping the file. Or something on those lines!

In any case, I don't think it will change. When you're judging these things, do an expand of your own IPA file, and see how big it is then. That's roughly the size the download will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines