Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CameraRoll on Android and pictures from Google drive

Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CameraRoll currently allows to browse and select pictures which are stored on google drive and not the device itself. If I select picture from google drive I get #2004 error when I use open method of MediaPromise. Is there any way to exclude google drive images from CameraRoll? Or may be some way to load them without getting error?

Best Regards, Aleksey

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fairly similar issue with CameraRoll on Android like you are getting but for a different type of 'special' image type in Gallery

Gallery on my Nexus 7 also shows Picasso images in the Gallery.

If you browseForImage and select a Picasso image.

MediaPromise.file is null

and when you do MediaPromise.open() it returns null as well when it is supposed to return an IDataInput.

Using the same code, and selecting images in the Gallery that are local files works perfectly fine. You can use MediaPromise.file or you can even use MediaPromise.open() and read the bytes directly.

I am using latest AIR 3.8 SDK beta 3.8.0.1040

Is AIR just not able to handle all these non-local file types that Android chooses to show us in Gallery?

Were you able to resolve your issues Aleksey?

Did you possibly try the alternative Loader.loadFilePromise(mediaPromise, loaderContext) technique?

I'd really hate to have to resort to doing this to get a Bitmap and then having to reencode it back to a PNG or JPEG to save to the filesystem,

as I ultimately need a filesystem reference of the original image which the MediaPromise.file or MediaPromise.open solutions give you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 11, 2013 Aug 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to followup with my own suggestion, I tried using Loader.loadFilePromise, and this didn't throw an error but it also didn't call either the complete or error listeners.

It seems these newer 'special' images in Gallery for things like remote Picassa albums or Google Drive are tripping up and complicating the life of even native Java Android developers, so I imagine Adobe needs to update their CameraRoll support on Android to handle these non-local images in Gallery:

http://dimitar.me/how-to-get-picasa-images-using-the-image-picker-on-android-devices-running-any-os-...

Bad situation for us, as we can't filter the Gallery choices and certain images have to just error out on selection by users of our AIR apps. Maybe someone will write a more advanced and updated Gallery picker ANE to support all images if Adobe won't be updating CameraRoll soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The problem is reproducible with non-local images. I request you to open a new bug report on this over at bugbase.adobe.com including sample media. Once the bug has been added would you mind posting back with the URL so that others affected can add their votes and comments?

Regards,

Nimit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a bug for this issue, if this affects you please vote on it
https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3655606

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nimitja wrote:

Hello,

The problem is reproducible with non-local images. I request you to open a new bug report on this over at bugbase.adobe.com including sample media. Once the bug has been added would you mind posting back with the URL so that others affected can add their votes and comments?

Regards,

Nimit

Hi Nimitja, has there been any progress on this? I sent you a reproduction case a couple of months ago, and haven't heard any updates.
Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 22, 2014 Nov 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nimitja,

Any update?  It's crazy that this is taking so long.  At least respond and deprecate the api instead of silence so developers just wait and hope.  Such poor communication.  Come on, support your stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We understand the concern and are very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

The team had been busy with other high priority work items on Android and iOS, and as a result this issue could not get picked up. We will let you know as soon as we reach to this issue, and have any news for you.

Thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patience?  How many more YEARS do we need to be patient for?  Is this API supported or not, if not then deprecate the API rather than acting like it will get fixes.  At least that way we can look into other options.  It is getting more and more critical, all existing apps with cameraroll api are impacted as there is more and more blending of local vs cloud images into a single photo view.  A user will choose a photo and it will not load.  There is no way besides a generic error message to let them know it failed.  And then you need to explain the reason which makes users simply delete your app.  Why not at least expose the the path or content URI so we can detect that and have a quick ANE that can load that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Romil Mittal wrote:

We understand the concern and are very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

The team had been busy with other high priority work items on Android and iOS, and as a result this issue could not get picked up. We will let you know as soon as we reach to this issue, and have any news for you.

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks Romil, appreciate the response. Still it seems excessive to force us to wait close to 1.5yrs, for something so simple, on such a Core API as CameraRoll.

With the increasing use of cloud image storage, this is reaching a critical point with users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guy,

I get the same issue when using CameraRoll to load a cloud images on Android/iOS. For example load my profile photo on Google drive.

I am using Adobe AIR 15.x.x.x  This issue is still available. Try to way for 10 years more..... I think.

Regards,

Nhan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2015 Jan 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the bug status, over a year and still not even verified.  I guess adobe wants to kill air, the lack of response to this core functionality bug is completely terrible. Bye bye creative cloud...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This issue have been fixed and will be available in next major release.

Thanks

Govinda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Govinda and AIR team,

It sounds good.

Please kindly help to verify below issue on next release as well.

The issue not only with Google drive, when we selected the picture from local files and back to stage about 4 times. The application on Android crash and then the app restart automatically.

Bug Description:  CameraRoll crash when select image many times on Android.

Reproduce Steps: (in code)

1 -  Call CameraRoll class to select a file at local phone

2 -  Back to stage, and try step 1 again.

Do many times above steps, the app will crash on Android

Expectation: Do not crash.

Happened on environment:

Adobe Air:   16 x.x.x

Android:       4.4.4

Device:        Sony XPERIA

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any details to what is fixed / enhanced?  Which version should I expect it in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Govinda,

Will it hit a beta version of the SDK so we can test and provide feedback?  I do appreciate the response given how old this is but I have a ton of poor comments and one of my apps has been severely down ranked in Google Play as a result which is translating to lost revenue.  Any info you can provide on this is appreciated like which version / build number, which bugs are resolved and general availability would be nice (1 week, 1 month?).  The AIR release notes leave much to be desired.  Is the below fixed?  It shows open and unverified currently...

Bug#3655606 - CameraRoll.browseForImage does not work with any Remote Photo Albums

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this get into the latest beta?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NICE. Happy that you guys were able to fix this. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Guys,

Don't be disappoint for this minor issue. I found exact solution for Android and iOS. Please let me know if any one still facing the problem to display the selected image from gallery.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines