Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DatagramSocket and multicast

New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I utterly need to be able to bind to multicast IP address (ex: 239.255.250.250). How come it is still not available ?
It's not as if multicast was a new technology or something nobody uses... It's standard and it's simple when you can already handle UDP sockets.

Please, could you implement this feature ?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Juju

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what did you already try?
have you tried the DatagramSocket class ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes I did try the DatagramSocket class but it will not allow  multicast IP address like 192.168.0.255 or  239.255.250.250.

When I try to bound to these kind of IPs I get this error message:  Error #2002: Operation attempted on invalid socket.

It would be very nice if  this feature was implemented. It must not be that hard.

Regards,

Juju

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you don't really say what you try to do exactly (discover things over LAN? game over UDP? etc.)

and where (mobile? desktop?), and no code sample ...

so yeah by default DatagramSocket will not support broadcast eg. "Sending data to a broadcast address is not supported"
but it depends mainly on what you try to do, if you were trying to connect only AIR clients over LAN there are alternative that works
at best you can extend the capabilities with small binary to relay that broadcast/multicast or even extend AIR with an ANE

but you don;t bother take 5mn to gives details .... so good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines